Buying or renting trailers

nsmith1180:

hubman:
renting would be easier however if you have trailer over a long period then it would be cheaper, but what is the cost of the new skell trailer?

The insurance brokers I got a rough quote off of estimated the cost of a Maritime brand new skel - sliding skell, safe-park, soft-docking et-all at £25k.

Or you could buy the old £2k one, sink about another £2k into it replacing as much of it as you can, stripping and repainting etc. By my estimate, if you do much of the work yourself you could basically renew all the wiring and airlines, paint the entire trailer again after stripping and cleaning it of its old paint and any corrosion and renew things like light clusters and marker lights.

Then slap on 6 new tyres, they don’t have to be anything special because of the a) the work they do, (just stopping the container from dragging on the ground!) and b) the exposure to damage they take, for another £1200 + VAT.

Then you have one sliding skelly that will likely do you a good five years for £4500 or £17 a week plus MOT and servicing, and it doesn’t have that god-awful soft-docking thing from Haldex which is always a plus in my opinion.

As a new start owner driver I would lease at first, should you get a long term contract then consider buying, and for a standard new slider you would be looking at more like 15k not 25.