Buying a used truck

Hi all, I’m new to using forums.

I’m a building contractor and looking to buy a 7.5t tipper truck to do the heavy lifting for me and save the vans a bit.

Has anyone got any advice on which type of truck to go for as I have limited funds and can’t afford to buy new.

I have found a daf lf which seems to be in good condition. It is a 03 but has 340000 km on it. Would this be classed as high mileage?. It had a lot of work done for the test last year on brakes etc. he is looking €4500 for it.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Bundy:
I have found a daf lf which seems to be in good condition. It is a 03 but has 340000 km on it. Would this be classed as high mileage?.

I’d describe an 03 truck which has covered an average of less than 18,000 miles a year as low mileage myself, although the engine will of course also have been used to power the PTO. Does it start and run ok?

With respect I hope this isn’t going to come as a surprise.

transportmanagersolutions.co … mation.htm

Harry Monk:

Bundy:
I have found a daf lf which seems to be in good condition. It is a 03 but has 340000 km on it. Would this be classed as high mileage?.

I’d describe an 03 truck which has covered an average of less than 18,000 miles a year as low mileage myself, although the engine will of course also have been used to power the PTO. Does it start and run ok?

Thanks Harry, I am going to look at the truck tomorrow, guy said that the truck is running very well, he bought it to speed up a job he was doing but the job is finished now and he does not need 2 trucks.

cav551:
With respect I hope this isn’t going to come as a surprise.

transportmanagersolutions.co … mation.htm

Does this only apply to the UK or is it for Republic of Ireland aswell?

According to Page not found the Republic don’t need a restricted O license to run lorries.

If your only running your own gear ie bricks you bought, then no O license is needed.

I could be wrong, though, as I dont know if that would be the correct website.

Thanks. I checked it out and there is no licence needed for transporting your own goods

Isuzus are lightweight basic motors ideal for builders, merchants, contractors etc. They look and drive like transit tippers. We run a 51 plate and are part ex’ing it for a brand new one when it comes. You don’t need a full o’licence with all that it entails, but you will nedd a waste carriers licence and waste transfer tickets with your company details and waste carriers number on to move your own waste.

Thanks Muckaway, is it the 3.5 or 7.5t that you use. I was thinking that the 3.5t might be a bit small for collecting loose sand /gravel etc, but at the same time is a handy size and can be driven on a car licence.

Bundy:
Thanks Muckaway, is it the 3.5 or 7.5t that you use. I was thinking that the 3.5t might be a bit small for collecting loose sand /gravel etc, but at the same time is a handy size and can be driven on a car licence.

7.5t NQR mate. We have a Thompson body on it with steel floor and alloy dropsides and that gives us a payload of just under 4t. An all steel (most common) carres about 3.5 if you don’t have a toolbox, extended headboard etc.
Our new one (when it comes :unamused: ) is having an alloy Brit Tip body so that it’ll carry the same as the old one with all the added weight of Euro 6 nonsense.
Be careful with loading them, they have a 2m3 body which is easily overloaded (ballast weighs about 2t/m3). The 7.5t is really easy to drive it doesn’t feel like a lorry more like an average van.