Gloucestershire Firms

Hi everybody, Here I have a selection of Gloucestershire firms many of which are no longer in existence. Any info on any of these firms would be great. Thanks to Paul & David for the loan of some of these and I’m hoping that people out there in trucknet land have some others that can be shared. These obviously aren’t the only ones out there, so dig out those ones you have in the bottom of a drawer somewhere and get them on here. Cheers…

Bennetts, Glos.JPG
Bowles, Cheltenham.JPG
C J Howse, Cheltenham.JPG
C M Downton, Glos.JPG
Fred Watkins. Coleford.JPG
Free Foresters, Mitcheldean.JPG
George Read, Mitcheldean.JPG
Harber, Cheltenham.JPG
Himpsold, Glos.JPG
Himpsold 2, Glos.JPG

Strewth, Paul, you’re taking me back to my mis-spent glory days!
Nice to see Mick Russell’s Atki- must have been pretty new when it was snapped in Young George’s yard.

Downtons Nuf said. But that was back in the good ol days, notice the chains holding the container on :wink:

Fred Watkings did a lot of storage tank restorations. I think there was a bit of kerfuffle when it was discovered where he was allegedly disposing of the residue.

Himpsold used to have a yard on the corner of the A40 bypass and the A38 at Longford got bought first by HTS and then Peter Ford had a finger in the pie, or it may have been the other way around,

Free Free Foresters I think had the old BRS depot in the middle of Mitcheldean (now houses)

great pics paul trying to remember himpsolds thanks for sharing

Anybody got any of Moreton C Cullimore’s.I could copy some off their website,but they are probably copyrighted.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Anybody got any of Moreton C Cullimore’s.I could copy some off their website,but they are probably copyrighted.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave, anything in particular you’re after?

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Not really Paul.They have got a load of pics on their website going back to the 1960’s and I used to see a lot of their tippers when I was hauling down through Gloucestershire myself.Always looked good kit.
Cheeers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Not really Paul.They have got a load of pics on their website going back to the 1960’s and I used to see a lot of their tippers when I was hauling down through Gloucestershire myself.Always looked good kit.
Cheeers Dave.

Hi Dave, here’s a couple that I have, These are not mine but are used with kind permission of Piston broke who took them a while ago… I’m looking for some Glyn Morris photo’s if anyone got any…Cheers

The dark blue and red wagons belonging to Wm. Parry & Sons have been seen on the roads of Gloucestershire
since 1935, - the year Mr. William Parry started the business.
This E.R.F. was driven by Simon Parry, the founder`s grandson.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Cheeers Dave.

Hi Dave, here’s a couple that I have, if they’re any good to ya… I’m looking for some Glyn Morris photo’s if anyone got any…Cheers

Cracking pics Paul.Their mtors always stand out.Nice one pf Parry’s Roy as well.
Cheers Dave.

Driver, - and long-serving employee , - Robin Harris drove this Volvo Fl 7 6 wheeler for a few years.
This would be one of the last wagons to be painted in their traditional red & blue livery , as future ones
were to be in a plain white colour.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Dave the Renegade:

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Cheeers Dave.

Hi Dave, here’s a couple that I have, if they’re any good to ya… I’m looking for some Glyn Morris photo’s if anyone got any…Cheers

Cracking pics Paul.Their mtors always stand out.Nice one pf Parry’s Roy as well.
Cheers Dave.

You do know that all the Cullimore trucks are named after Dickens characters…

cattle wagon man:
Driver, - and long-serving employee , - Robin Harris drove this Volvo Fl 7 6 wheeler for a few years.
This would be one of the last wagons to be painted in their traditional red & blue livery , as future ones
were to be in a plain white colour.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Nice pictures of Parry’s. cwm…

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Cheeers Dave.

Cheers Dave.

You do know that all the Cullimore trucks are named after Dickens characters…

Yes I have read that either on their website or elsewhere Paul.It adds a bit more interest to the fleet when a firm does that.
Cheers Dave.

bob-lad:
great pics paul trying to remember himpsolds thanks for sharing

Himpsold Haulage, based just off Tewkesbury Road, was owned by a pair of brothers from Cheltenham whose main interest was Railside Engineering. The Transport Manager for some years was Maurice Scrivens, a real nice old boy but with a terrible temper. If someone upset him he would launch the first available implement- ruler, book or phone- across the office! A man after my own heart, he was a stickler for having everything just right. He would make a weekly examination of all the lorries and heaven help the driver who had a blown bulb or had gone home for the weekend without cleaning his vehicle. The inside of the shed which housed the clocking-in machine was wallpapered in Maurice’s rules and regulations, warning of dire consequences for failing to do things properly.
I started on the company driving a bonneted Merc artic, loading steel on nights from Llanwern, hauling the trailers back to the depot for day shift to deliver. Night loading became increasingly slower until Maurice decided that it wasn’t worth paying me to load just one trailer per shift. I was then promoted to a J-reg ERF and sent “up the road”.
Not the best work in the country, but really decent kit and a great chap to work for.
After they packed in, Peter Ford Transport bought the yard, eventually selling it for house building when they packed the job in. Coincidentally, a subsequent boss of mine bought one of Ford’s bulk tipping trailers for me to use.

Now what is known as ‘resting’

Any list of Gloucestershire hauliers would not be complete without mentioning Mr Griffiths running out of Churchdown. I never worked for him but did go to school (Infants & primary) with one of his daughters. We also used to call into his yard to order our coal. He started off with Sand and Gravel and was renown for loading foundry sand on flatbeds; spread the sheets, dump the sand on top and then tie the sheets over it. Back at the yard it was shovelled off by hand. Later on he did a lot of concrete sections for DowMac and also steel pipes of extreme lengths. Another company which was bought by HTS the yard was later a TIP depot before disappearing under brick. As I used to walk past the yard on the way to school it was one of my first connections with them smelly things called lorries.

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:

Me.Paul.101:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Cheeers Dave.

All of those Cullimores pics were taken by me some years ago. I first put them on Bubbs’ Scrapbook thread last year…

Piston broke:
All of those Cullimores pics were taken by me some years ago. I first put them on Bubbs’ Scrapbook thread last year…

Mine’s me own taken in the last 12 months :wink:

zzarbean:

Piston broke:

Mine’s me own taken in the last 12 months :wink:

Yeah, zzarbean - I did mean the ones that Paul and Dave were talking about… :smiley: :wink: