The River Tyne

One of my favourate places from being a boy, Any Photos of the Quayside at Newcastle, Or The Tyne Commision Quay at North Shields for the 50s/60s/70/s Era, Regards Larry.

Heres a starter from the 60s, TBR 997, Parked outside Baxters Gararge on Newcastle Quay, When the Tyne was a busy Port, Regards Larry.

image.jpg

hi lads, Larry i have a few photos some where of the quayside when it was in its hay days will dig them out and post them on here, feather and Kent had an office in the Baltic chambers, Arthur van hee run the traffic for them , before he joined up with old smithy, and started smith-van hee, there was a few outfits had office’s in the Baltic chambers at that time, bumper

Youngers Garage to the left of the picture before Jonnie Baxter bought it when he started up again in the 50s (Denationalisation), Regards Larry.

I have a load of local history books I will get some pics soon

The Tyne in the 60s, Regards Larry.

Here you go

Sorry about picture quality took them with my phone from a few books I have

A couple of pics here to stir the memories, first one 35 years ago this month, nothing changes eh, Forth Banks still not any better to get up and a nice view of the River Tyne c.1987. Marks pic of the Steam Engine on the Quayside shows an 0-6-0 Tank Engine of the Quayside Branch line that ran from Argyle St to the Quayside, a mile long steep curving route through a U shaped tunnel, the Steamers were replaced with Diesels in 1964 (I remember those) but a little later in June 1969 the line closed and today nothing can be seen of the line. Remember those cobbles! Only a small section of cobbled road remains anyone know where? Franky.

bumper:
hi lads, Larry i have a few photos some where of the quayside when it was in its hay days will dig them out and post them on here, feather and Kent had an office in the Baltic chambers, Arthur van hee run the traffic for them , before he joined up with old smithy, and started smith-van hee, there was a few outfits had office’s in the Baltic chambers at that time, bumper

High Bumper Im sure that Feather & Kents office was on the ground floor in the building to the left of the Baltic Chambers It had nice signwriting If I remember rightly ■■?, Regards Larry.

I used to love it when we parked on the quayside, then walked up those bloody hills to a pub, it was much easier coming back down full of Fed and fish and chips :stuck_out_tongue:

Newcastle is a lovely place now, but the old mills and working quays were beautiful too.

Hi Lawrence, There’s a lot of interesting reading on Wikipedia about the Tyne with pictures going back a long way, this is one of many and titled Quiet River Tyne and significantly by Mark Smiles, a surname you have connections with :question:
Cheers
Oily

oiltreader:
Hi Lawrence, There’s a lot of interesting reading on Wikipedia about the Tyne with pictures going back a long way, this is one of many and titled Quiet River Tyne and significantly by Mark Smiles, a surname you have connections with :question:
Cheers
Oily

Ive just had a quick look at Wikipedia, There is a lot of interesting stuff about the Tyne, I dont know if Mark Smiles is any relation to my Grandads family but I will certainly have a search, Thanks Oily, Regards Larry.

Mansion House Wharf in the old days, Regards Larry.

The Tyne as it is to-day, Regards Larry.

Jonnie Baxters 1932 AEC, On the Quayside, Regards Larry.

I’ve posted these before and tho’ they are not quite on the Tyne they’re near, anyway Lawrence there’s another link here…flickr.com/photos/twm_news/ for bygone photos of Tyne and Wear.
Cheers
Oily