Trilex wheels

Can remember lorries being fitted with these,latterly Fiats and a few Euro traliers.still use them in Usa i beleive .
Never popular on UK motors.
Pros + cons . . discuss :stuck_out_tongue:

lol. pain in the ■■■■! 
my train trailers are fitted wi them ,only 6 nuts(or is it 5 duh) to undo but remember you have to put them on square other wise they wobble :blush: tighten then slacken them nuts :unamused: to get them to run straight
.cons 
lighter to move around.
mmm the older redi mix trucks have them fitted all round
shudder
 :blush:
jimmy

Did anybody get there shins/thigh/gonads shattered by not tapping the wedges before removing the wheel nuts?

Suedehead:
Can remember lorries being fitted with these,latterly Fiats and a few Euro traliers.still use them in Usa i beleive .
Never popular on UK motors.
Pros + cons . . discuss :stuck_out_tongue:

Used a lot in Switzerland and Italy. Lightweight and I was told they did not overheat as much on mountain roads.

hi about Trilex wheels, First Trilex is a name of a typ of +GF+ a brand who build such wheels the real name is spoke wheels.But Trilex is a name used in popular called as is like Clark who is a brand of forklifts but we all call them here a clark in Belgium even when it is for instance a Linde. “Trilex” wheels, you have 3 typs, Trilex 3 peaces,Unilex 1 peace, Tublex tubeless.Over here it was used but my experience,I don’t like them,
First the +GF+ Unilex on the Volvo’s I could life with it. But on the other hand at the Fiat’s it was a disaster, even on some trailers we had them, which make the problems only bigger.
Some bought them on their scania’s and daf’s to interchange them with there Volvo’s because Volvo had before 1975 the small ring wheels so you couldn’t interchange them with other’s like Scania, Daf and so on.
The French had also something like that to interchange their wheels between different makes.

Cheers Eric,

Suedehead:
Did anybody get there shins/thigh/gonads shattered by not tapping the wedges before removing the wheel nuts?

:blush: :blush: the first time i went to change a flat, i just got on wi it 
our fitter came over and near had a heart attack as i was just spinning the nuts off without knocking the wedges!!
can still hear howie shouting at me yet

prob was they thought we had trillex wheels on the go in UK so they let me get on wi it ,never gave it a thought!
jimmy. :blush:

Down the middle east in the '70’s, most of the Arab Mercedes had Trilex wheels, but they were on a ten stud adaptor that fitted a standard hub.

Had them on my 81 fiat 170, I liked them, but , when I first had it, the dealer said to just leave the wheels alone. So it was no surprise that I braked and the n/side front didn’t, the rim spun round and knocked the valve off. Did tell the tyre fitter i just wanted a valve , but he just merrily turned up with a new tyre, and no valve. So that was an extra hour or so on the job.

bestbooties:
Down the middle east in the '70’s, most of the Arab Mercedes had Trilex wheels, but they were on a ten stud adaptor that fitted a standard hub.

This is what I was talking about, this picture kindly posted earlier by Robert 1952 on the Astran/Middle East Drivers thread, regarding Trilex wheels on ten stud hubs as used by Mercedes trucks.

robert1952:

I didn’t realise until I saw this illustration that there were two types of “clamp on” wheels, the Trilex, (Three piece), for tubed tyres, and the Unilex
(One piece), for tubeless tyres.

bestbooties:

robert1952:

I didn’t realise until I saw this illustration that there were two types of “clamp on” wheels, the Trilex, (Three piece), for tubed tyres, and the Unilex

Hey BB, the tubeless was called Tublex, as the Unilex was a one piece tubed version.
Had a lot to do with them and the best were on the Volvo’s 88 and 89,the worst on the Italians.
Looks nice but nothing above the normal big diameter rim.

Eric,

The idea of the Trilex wheel looks horrible on paper. There are numerous potential failure modes which do not affect an ordinary wheel. Full marks to the George Fischer engineers, for making it work!

tiptop495:

bestbooties:

robert1952:

Hey BB, the tubeless was called Tublex, as the Unilex was a one piece tubed version.
Had a lot to do with them and the best were on the Volvo’s 88 and 89,the worst on the Italians.
Looks nice but nothing above the normal big diameter rim.

Eric,

I was going on the explanation on the article shown but did not put the full description down.

It says: Mit UNILEX oder TUBLEX-Felgen, auch fûr schlauchlose reifen.
Or: With UNILEX or TUBLEX rims, also for tubeless tyres.

British Oxygen bought a batch of cryogenic trailers,Cosmodynes,from the USA in the early 70s,these had trilex wheels,they were a bit of a pain(especially in winter)because they had to be torqued up at the start of every shift,but they themselves were never any bother,and they looked better than our steel rims back then.

According to the Daily Mail, the Peshmerga Iraqis are adapting old lorries to help them fight off the Islamic State (or Un-Islamic Gang, as I prefer to call them). Here is one of their Mad-Max-esque concoctions complete, you’ll notice, with Trilex wheels. I wouldn’t mind driving that down the M25 among the Sunday drivers
 Robert :laughing:

1411987039117_wps_36_Mad_Max_jpg.jpg

I started adding to this thread a long time ago. I found a Trilex brochure at Gaydon over the weekend, so I’ve scanned it to share with you. Robert

Just lovely! :smiley:

The American trailers we had in Saudi back in the seventies and eighties had similar wheels. They weren’t Trilex. It was a complete wheel, but the same idea. The Hub was on a 5 or 6 spoke centre, with a separator between them. I see an American contributor doesn’t like them, but we did. They were much lighter than the European wheels. Yes, you had to tighten and loosen them in sequence, and make sure they had slipped off the ridge. If you didn’t they would explode on you! But we founded them easier to change.

John.