Bridges Transport Preston

Hi
A lived, for a short time at Little Hulton on the A6 a number of years ago. At the Shopping centre there was a café which was used by a couple of Parcel carriers. One was Bridges Transport from Preston and the other I’m not sure of their name but was from the Westhoughton area I think. also think they are both no longer in business.

I wonder if anybody has any details and photos they could share please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

warniep:
Hi
A lived, for a short time at Little Hulton on the A6 a number of years ago. At the Shopping centre there was a café which was used by a couple of Parcel carriers. One was Bridges Transport from Preston and the other I’m not sure of their name but was from the Westhoughton area I think. also think they are both no longer in business.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Hiya Paul,i have a book called As I Remember, by Harold Bridges tells his story about his life in transport for 47 years (1921-1968) selling out to Tayforth in 1966, for 1million 350 thousand.Its a very good read covering every thing about Bridges Transport,you should be able to get the book on ebay .Vic ex Tayforth. P.S.Ive just looked the book is on Ebay for £3.50P.

HI ya Vic

Thank you very much for your prompt reply that’s great news, I will have a look on ebay and get the book.

Cheers your a Gentleman.

Paul.

I can recall that in the 60’s Bridges had a Motor,or two,running into the Furness area of Lancashire everyday and the secondman (lad/boy) was a local that the driver picked up in Ulverston (or maybe it was Dalton) then he dropped him off on his way back to Preston in the afternoon,I suppose it saved a bit on wages as it was 70 odd miles from Preston to Barrow,140 + miles round trip! Harold Bridges was a shrewed operator !! Bewick.

Bewick:
I can recall that in the 60’s Bridges had a Motor,or two,running into the Furness area of Lancashire everyday and the secondman (lad/boy) was a local that the driver picked up in Ulverston (or maybe it was Dalton) then he dropped him off on his way back to Preston in the afternoon,I suppose it saved a bit on wages as it was 70 odd miles from Preston to Barrow,140 + miles round trip! Harold Bridges was a shrewed operator !! Bewick.

He was indeed, Dennis, especially when you read about the other enterprises he was involved with. I have the book too, and thought it was a little dull at first, and then I couldn’t put it down!

v7victor:

warniep:
Hi

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Hiya Paul,i have a book called As I Remember, by Harold Bridges tells his story about his life in transport for 47 years (1921-1968) selling out to Tayforth in 1966, for 1million 350 thousand.Its a very good read covering every thing about Bridges Transport,you should be able to get the book on ebay .Vic ex Tayforth. P.S.Ive just looked the book is on Ebay for £3.50P.

I remember when the rumour of selling out was going round and at a works dinner for Bridges staff, Mr Bridges, to quell the rumour stated (quote), If I were to sell out for 1 million pound everyone in this room will get a share,needless to say I had left by the time he sold out a few years later. He was a top man all the same, as was his three sons Charles,John and David (R.I.P).

Bewick:

Also one on one of the Manchester runs and a couple of lads at Tarleton for the Liverpool runs.

Jakdaw:
He was a top man all the same, as was his three son`s Charles,John and David (R.I.P).

I did know Charles slightly, some years ago - as I recall, he was involved with Red Rose garage in the Chester area, and I think with a racing team too

240 Gardner:

Jakdaw:
He was a top man all the same, as was his three son`s Charles,John and David (R.I.P).

I did know Charles slightly, some years ago - as I recall, he was involved with Red Rose garage in the Chester area, and I think with a racing team too

I seem to recall that one of the Bridges was quite successful in Historic motor racing with a Bugatti Type 35B in the late 80s/90s

Many thanks Gents for you most interesting reply’s. I have ordered the book and look forward to reading it.

Cheers. Paul.

warniep:
Many thanks Gents for you most interesting reply’s. I have ordered the book and look forward to reading it.

Cheers. Paul.

I bought it last year Paul,its a great read about his life’s work in starting and building his business along with other notable things he achieved.
Cheers Dave.

warniep:

Cheers. Paul.

Any one interested in transport would enjoy this book,i’m so pleased you found it, Vic ex Forth.

i worked at bridges in the 70+80s i do have some old photos and will put them on here when i figure out how.

Excellent Bingo, look forward to seeing the photos.

Cheers Paul.

i think it was fred howarth westhoughton. bingo

Hi ,Folks , I have his book slow to start but great reading after ,Barry

bingo:
i worked at bridges in the 70+80s i do have some old photos and will put them on here when i figure out how.

Would like to see your photos Bingo :smiley: :smiley:

Hi
Bridges Transport in Raglan Street was my first job on leaving school 1969
i was 2nd mate on liverpool 1 & 2 same run for three years.
Arived early at depot sort delivery notes out, last drop off 1st on truck
we collected pacels to be delivered next day on other runs.
Still know drivers name due to accident on the A59.

Was the other parcel service (BRS) British Road Services.

hello was a drivers mate at bridges, yes a drivers mate on parcels, times have changed. we did liverpool city centre in 1963.became a driver later.

There used to be 2 brothers drove for bridges in the 70s one used to be up around ingleton on a Friday,Bingo do you know them and looking forward to seeing photos you have.