ERF "SABRINA"

Hi, all,
Do we have an ERF enthusiast, historian on the forum?
I know where the ERF “Sabrina” gets it’s name from but what I would ■■■■ to know is how the truck came into being.
As far as i know the Sabrina didn’t have any predecessors, all the former models had been forward control, and as far as I’m aware , all the models after, so why did ERF develope the Sabrina? It , to my mind didn’t fit in with ERF’s model range. Was it an experiment,were they asked by a specific customer to build a truck like that? Were they trying to set a trend? Was the reason the export market?
I can,t see any plausible reason for developing the Sabrina and I don’t think it sold in any great numbers. Can anybody enlighten me?

Cheers Bassman

Bassman:
Hi, all,
Do we have an ERF enthusiast, historian on the forum?
I know where the ERF “Sabrina” gets it’s name from but what I would ■■■■ to know is how the truck came into being.
As far as i know the Sabrina didn’t have any predecessors, all the former models had been forward control, and as far as I’m aware , all the models after, so why did ERF develope the Sabrina? It , to my mind didn’t fit in with ERF’s model range. Was it an experiment,were they asked by a specific customer to build a truck like that? Were they trying to set a trend? Was the reason the export market?
I can,t see any plausible reason for developing the Sabrina and I don’t think it sold in any great numbers. Can anybody enlighten me?

Cheers Bassman

Now are you paying attention “Bassman” ? I was once told at ERF’s that the Sabrina was developed for the brewery industry because they had to have seating for for three,the driver and two draymen.I don’t think very many were built but they did build some heavy haul tractors using the same cab IIRC,I think they ran in the Steel Works in Sheffield,no doubt someone else can elaberate ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, thanks for that! Having read Bassman’s question, I was sat here feeling sure that I was told the Sabrina was developed for the brewery industry but I wasn’t sure enough to say so! :blush: :smiley:

As you say, they didn’t sell too well though!!

Named after a famous film star of the fifties or sixties I believe - does anyone know who she was?

Obviously, I’m far too young to know… :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

She was called Sabrina, & she had rather large threepenny bits to say the least, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
She was called Sabrina, & she had rather large threepenny bits to say the least, Regards Larry.

Aye,she had ■■■■■■■■ as well Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye,I reckoned a question concerning the female anatomy would interest you “H” !!! Anon 1.

Was the firm in Sheffield that ran the Sabrina tractors called Park Gate Steel ? Cheers Dennis.PS,where is the IOM maestro when you need his input?

Chris Webb:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye,she had ■■■■■■■■ as well Larry.

Oh dear how impolite you could have said knockers at least Eh Ha Ha Regards Larry.

Bewick:
Was the firm in Sheffield that ran the Sabrina tractors called Park Gate Steel ? Cheers Dennis.PS,where is the IOM maestro when you need his input?

I’ve seen somewhere on the thread a mention of ,was it,Leonard Green who ran some of these Sabrinas ? Cheers Dennis.

Aye so did Wilsons Brewery at Newton Heath Manchester in the 60s, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

They were contracted motors to Park Gate Iron and Steel Rotherham Dennis,belonged to Leonard Green Haulage. Alan revman will tell you all about 'em.I’ll give him a nudge. :smiley:

Sabrina had a lovel…oh,never mind.

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

They were contracted motors to Park Gate Iron and Steel Rotherham Dennis,belonged to Leonard Green Haulage. Alan revman will tell you all about 'em.I’ll give him a nudge. :smiley:

Send yer blind Chris with one of those in each ear !! Cheers Dennis.

as Dennis said the Sabrina was developed for this brewery wilsons Newton Heath Manchester for some reason there were quite a few around Rotherhami drove the Len green six wheeler(a Peter Davis pic)they also had a Sabrina made into a tractor unit,& my first lorry at parkgate was the heavy duty dumper.i hope that was your elbow you nudged with chris :smiley:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Not contract motors chris,they were bought from Len greens erf agency but were owned by parkgate

revman:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Not contract motors chris,they were bought from Len greens erf agency but were owned by parkgate

I was nearly right then,good job I nudged yer to put Dennis and Larry right. :grimacing:

Aye Park Gate Steel, I used to deliver carbon blocks there from Anglow Great Lakes Factory at Lemington in the 50/60/70s Era, The main haulier out of there was McPhees Transport City Rd Newcastle. Happy days Eh , Regards Larry.

they were popular with tipper fleetsken Thomas restored sabrina

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye Park Gate Steel, I used to deliver carbon blocks there from Anglow Great Lakes Factory at Lemington in the 50/60/70s Era, The main haulier out of there was McPhees Transport City Rd Newcastle. Happy days Eh , Regards Larry.

Aye,I loaded electrodes out of Anglo Great Lakes on Scotswood Road for Tinsley Park through McPhees Larry and our gaffer played bleeding hell with me,“Not get paid for that” he said. Never found out if he did. :smiley:

Aye I do believe they were a bit slow with payments, But he would get it 6 months later, Regards Larry.

Atkinsons had the Viewline cab and ERF’s had the Sabrina,both “White Elephants” only my opinion,of course ! Cheers Dennis.