Scania 112 or 113 anyone?

I’m aware all the V8s (141/ 142/ 143) have a big following both here and elsewhere, and justifiably so. But the older humbler 11-litre models seem to be over-looked or at least overshadowed and I wonder if there’s a need to balance things a bit.

I need to declare at the outet I’ve never driven either a 112 or 113, the closest I came was an '87 82m and no amount of begging and pleading and bribery on my part could stop it going back to its regular driver when he came back off sick leave.

What made me a fan of the 112/ 113 was the sound. Some years back when I was driving [zb] old Jap trucks around Sydney, I heard a 112h take off from some lights ahead of me and head towards me. It had a nice big fat chrome chimney at the back and the noise it made going up through the gears made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, especially combined with the ‘whoop’ of the turbo on the over-run at gear changes.

I’d sort of forgotten about how much I liked the sound of these things as there are fewer and fewer left on the road… until yesterday when I heard a 6-legger 113m go past. Being as I didn’t have a camera when it went past all I could do was listen and enjoy, but when some hours later I heard it coming back I belted inside to find a camera. The result won’t make it as an award winning documentary but well… you get the idea:

youtube.com/watch?v=k_umv-Sbnh8

I had a 112 for a while tramping with a P cab for a while not the best of cabs but done what it said on the can .

I drove a few P cabbed Scania 112s a R cabbed 112 non intercooler and eventually a 113 380 topliner ,i liked them all , i moved on to the 4 series and wanted my old topliner back they felt more solid and i found the driving position much better than the 4 series ,just my opinion i`m sure many disagree

Hello Ramone, I agree abot the 113s. I operated quite a few on contract hire, both P and R cabs. They ran well, kept within budget on maintenance, and that dashboard was nearly as iconic as the Atkinson Borderer was, (in its time).

But, rather suprisingly the 1628 Mercedes ware cheaper to operate at about 60000 miles per year than the Scanias! But very uninspiring to drive! Cheerio for now.

Here’s some I had in the 90’s & a 142 ‘sorry’ :laughing: :wink: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn

P6270083.JPG

P6270107.JPG

P6270097.JPG

Brs Scania

brs scania.jpg

I did a fair few miles in the baby Scania, average to drive, better than an F10, not as good as an F12, very reliable though, only common fault they seemed to share was dodgy alternators, it would go boss eyed and the key would get stuck in the ignition.

Had a 113 topline streamline mid lift, it was ex Russell Davies and bought for the No1 driver at RD, when Securicor took them over they got shot of it and I ended up with it. It was a lovely motor, but I never liked the seats in a 3 series topline, the backrest seemed to curve the wrong way, it was like you sat on the seat rather than in it.

I also had one that I spent an absolute fortune on, I initially bought it cheap at auction, it was a 6x2 rear lift on a G plate, I blew it up on the M25 and put a reman engine in it, while it was off the road I had it painted and put a set of tyres on it and it got nicked out of the yard before the start of the month when it was due to go back on the road, it was never found :cry:

Wiper linkages & range change switches & 8mpg thats what I remember about the 112…

Our first 112’s were 1981’s on the “X” and were fairly newish secondhand motors,our first brand new 112’s were “Y” reg late '82 and early ‘83’ s,this shot is a mid 80’s one with a new “C” reg and an “X” reg 1981 they ran out of a customer we had in Garstang,Walki Converters Ltd.

fly sheet:
Wiper linkages & range change switches & 8mpg thats what I remember about the 112…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wiper linkage 20 second fix with a bungee, range change another 20 seconds to short out the neutral switch :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

8 mpg :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Was that downhill :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

This a shot of the very first 38tonner we put into service,new, in March/April '83,standing in the depot at Milnthorpe.

Bewick:
This a shot of the very first 38tonner we put into service,new, in March/April '83,standing in the depot at Milnthorpe.

My first motor was A453 FFU a P cabbed 112 non intercooler unit,very steady, it had the rear lift axle which made it very easy to get in and out of places and a very slow range change which i think all Scanias suffered from.I thought it was a great lorry to drive and would definitely prefer it to the CF Daf i drive now .The 113s were a big improvement imho, i thought the new dashboard as mentioned by saviem was and still is the best out there.Did you have many problems with them Dennis?

Taken at Winkleigh open day 2012

My first new vehicle pictured in River Way Harlow the day it came home. F948 LVW, a 113 360bhp twin steer that eventually went to Readers on the Isle Of White 3 years later, where it was fitted with a high roof conversion.

F948LVW (600 x 392).jpg

billybigrig:

fly sheet:

Wiper linkage 20 second fix with a bungee, range change another 20 seconds to short out the neutral switch :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

8 mpg :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Was that downhill :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Had a 1987 333 hp one last RHD I ever had D52 USM 8mpg all its life belting wagon…

fly sheet:

billybigrig:

fly sheet:

Had a 1987 333 hp one last RHD I ever had D52 USM 8mpg all its life belting wagon…

Had a c and then an e reg both with the 10 speed. The E pulled like a train and cruised well at 65-70 :laughing:

Probably why I could never dream of 8mpg :blush:

But that funny coloured go juice in the trailer was cheap enough so… :grimacing:

Sat in Patras early 1990 FYI billybigrig it had 800lts hanging under the tilt.

Well I’ve found the ‘Operator Instruction video’ so in the unlikely event I’m ever asked to drive one I will be fully prepared:

youtube.com/watch?v=WC3oob72omA

Seem to be lots of 112s and 113s still at work in S America if youtube is any guide, many of them bonneted.

Drove one or two for some trips when the company Volvo’s were in for plating or repair.
Still quite a few in use here in Bulgaria, will have to get the camera out.