Foots Transport (Southampton & Ringwood)

My grandfather, Eric Foot, was the man behind Foots Transport. I have been reminiscing with my Dad, Norman Foot, and we have come across this photo of one of the lorries. I have seen a few mentions of Foots Transport on this forum and would love to hear from anyone with any more memories. As a youngster in the 1960’s I have a few dim recollections of the Southampton office and my father of course has more which I will get him to share also.

Would be great to hear any stories and any pictures to help in our nostalgic journey!!

andyfoot:
My grandfather, Eric Foot, was the man behind Foots Transport. I have been reminiscing with my Dad, Norman Foot, and we have come across this photo of one of the lorries. I have seen a few mentions of Foots Transport on this forum and would love to hear from anyone with any more memories. As a youngster in the 1960’s I have a few dim recollections of the Southampton office and my father of course has more which I will get him to share also.

Would be great to hear any stories and any pictures to help in our nostalgic journey!!

Hiya Andy,ive talked on here before about your firm,in the late 60s early 70s we (Tayforth Darlington)loaded back from your grandfather,we fetched shell plate down for Fawley,i was on nights and i think it would be your dad who tipped and loaded my truck while i had time off at the Floating bidge cafe,i remember your grandad and the office above a shop in i think in Oxford st,later on i went to work for Stiller Transport,one night who drives in to refuel with a pickup but Eric returning from Scotland on a job delivering nuts and bolts to the oil industry.i had a chat with him about the old times before he went on his way.Regards Vic exForth.

andyfoot:

Andy,could you ask the driver of the Big J to move along a little,just so we can all view the engine to see if it protrudes out of the rear of the cab,it could just be a 240 Gardner!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

David

v7victor:
Hiya Andy,ive talked on here before about your firm,in the late 60s early 70s we (Tayforth Darlington)loaded back from your grandfather,we fetched shell plate down for Fawley,i was on nights and i think it would be your dad who tipped and loaded my truck while i had time off at the Floating bridge cafe,i remember your grandad and the office above a shop in i think in Oxford st,later on i went to work for Stiller Transport,one night who drives in to refuel with a pickup but Eric returning from Scotland on a job delivering nuts and bolts to the oil industry.i had a chat with him about the old times before he went on his way.Regards Vic exForth.

Hi Vic, thanks for your reply. I had read the post you mention and my Dad did say that he would probably be the one you mention loading your truck. I remember my grandfather having an old flatbed “A” series which he refused to stop driving well after the doctors told him to stop. After an operation to fit a plastic knee joint (I think) he used to tell us how he parked the flatbed out the back of the hospital when he went back for his outpatient visits so that the doctors couldn’t see that instead of putting his feet up as instructed he was in fact still driving up and down to scotland.

Am in the process of getting my dad a bit more familiar with how to use a forum ( his username is footy ) so he should soon be posting himself! We have a few great old photos from the 70’s to put up. Regards, Andy.

andyfoot:

v7victor:
Hiya Andy,ive talked on here before about your firm,in the late 60s early 70s we (Tayforth Darlington)loaded back from your grandfather,we fetched shell plate down for Fawley,i was on nights and i think it would be your dad who tipped and loaded my truck while i had time off at the Floating bridge cafe,i remember your grandad and the office above a shop in i think in Oxford st,later on i went to work for Stiller Transport,one night who drives in to refuel with a pickup but Eric returning from Scotland on a job delivering nuts and bolts to the oil industry.i had a chat with him about the old times before he went on his way.Regards Vic exForth.

Hi Vic, thanks for your reply. I had read the post you mention and my Dad did say that he would probably be the one you mention loading your truck. I remember my grandfather having an old flatbed “A” series which he refused to stop driving well after the doctors told him to stop. After an operation to fit a plastic knee joint (I think) he used to tell us how he parked the flatbed out the back of the hospital when he went back for his outpatient visits so that the doctors couldn’t see that instead of putting his feet up as instructed he was in fact still driving up and down to scotland.

Am in the process of getting my dad a bit more familiar with how to use a forum ( his username is footy ) so he should soon be posting himself! We have a few great old photos from the 70’s to put up. Regards, Andy.

Yea Andy,i think there will be more drivers from our area come in on this thread as they see it,one i can think of is u/name dennisR,he worked at Forth the same time as we are talking about and has just joined from Spain,i think he will have some good memories from the times at your office to get return loads,look forward to hearing from your dad and yourself,and seeing the photo’s.Vic.

5thwheel:

andyfoot:

Andy,could you ask the driver of the Big J to move along a little,just so we can all view the engine to see if it protrudes out of the rear of the cab,it could just be a 240 Gardner!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

David

The front cross on that load of reels is “dodgy” to say the least !! Cheers Bewick. :blush:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

andyfoot:

David

The front cross on that load of reels is “dodgy” to say the least !! Cheers Bewick. :blush:

Maybe not their trailer Dennis,by what i remember foots might of been tipping and loading it for some other company,as the did for us,there is a diferent name on the sheets eh.Vic.I do agree it wouldent take much for the cross to drop off :astonished:

v7victor:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

andyfoot:

David

Maybe not their trailer Dennis,by what i remember foots might of been tipping and loading it for some other company,as the did for us,there is a diferent name on the sheets eh.Vic.I do agree it wouldent take much for the cross to drop off :astonished:

Hiya Vic,I did notice the name on the sheets was different,I also wondered what sort of reels they were not having a fly sheet on !! Naughty on two counts then Vic !! Wouldn’t employ them with “middles out of Polo mints” Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

v7victor:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

andyfoot:

David

Hiya Vic,I did notice the name on the sheets was different,I also wondered what sort of reels they were not having a fly sheet on !! Naughty on two counts then Vic !! Wouldn’t employ them with “middles out of Polo mints” Cheers Dennis.

How you doing Dennis, you know i thought you would have known Eric from them days,he done a lot of return loads and was a gentleman to get on with,he always had time for a laugh ,you know one of the old school.Regards Vic.

Do you know Vic, Southampton never figured much in our operations over the years,occaisionally maybe,so we never really got to know any of the hauliers down there.But Eric sounds like a decent lad,must be the name Eric bcause I can re-call 4 Erics I’ve had the priveledge of knowing over the years and they were all great lads,each one of them !!! Cheers Dennis. PS Now Victors,uhm! lets see,better not might get slung off the site !!! :blush:

Bewick:
Do you know Vic, Southampton never figured much in our operations over the years,occaisionally maybe,so we never really got to know any of the hauliers down there.But Eric sounds like a decent lad,must be the name Eric bcause I can re-call 4 Erics I’ve had the priveledge of knowing over the years and they were all great lads,each one of them !!! Cheers Dennis. PS Now Victors,uhm! lets see,better not might get slung off the site !!! :blush:

Hmmm debateble

v7victor:

Bewick:

Hmmm debateble

I’m saying nowt ! Victor? Victor who? never heard of him Officer !! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bewick:

v7victor:

Bewick:

Hmmm debatable

I’m saying nowt ! Victor? Victor who? never heard of him Officer !! :confused: :confused: :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

good evening dont want to gatecrash but i used to work for a small
garage in earls rd bevios valley called clayton commercials i remember
working on foots guy big js and sure they had ■■■■■■■ 220 engines
could be wrong grey matter getting slow also was there a chap in the
office again not sure but was his name doug penny

hot_weird_funny_amazing_cool2_old-fashion-mugshots-23_2009072607243213010.jpg

v7victor:

Bewick:

v7victor:

Bewick:

Hmmm debatable

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Dennis i didnt know you knew that much about me :frowning:

Terrorism5.jpg

slatey:
good evening dont want to gatecrash but i used to work for a small
garage in earls rd bevios valley called clayton commercials i remember
working on foots guy big js and sure they had ■■■■■■■ 220 engines
could be wrong grey matter getting slow also was there a chap in the
office again not sure but was his name doug penny

Yea i seem to remember that name when in their office.Vic.

v7victor:

v7victor:

Bewick:

v7victor:

Bewick:

Hmmm debatable

Where were those “mug shots” of you taken Vic ? Hartlepool nick or was it the shots for your “pass” to get into the Philips Terminal ? I said that Philips Derv was ■■■■■■■■■ going by the “drivers” demeanor and uniform,I was correct !!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bewick:

v7victor:

v7victor:

Bewick:

v7victor:

Bewick:

Hmmm debatable

Where were those “mug shots” of you taken Vic ? Hartlepool nick or was it the shots for your “pass” to get into the Philips Terminal ? I said that Philips Derv was [zb],and going by the “drivers” demeanor and uniform,I was correct !!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Poor Mr foots will be wondering whats going on on his thread,apologies Andy, owt for a laugh eh Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Vic

I think I backloaded from Southampton through Foot’s office in the late 60s,I think it was tyres out of Pirellis for Leeds,not sure.