Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International)

Hello,

I’m looking for information about this company: Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International)

I have couple of photo found on this board and some from collectors but i have no idea about the history!
thanks for help

Keep On Trucking

Ferdy

Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International)

Hello.I’ve just spent about at least half an hour on the Internet searching for information and the history
of Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International),but not much has come up. Although I’ve known for
some time that Hank’s Truck Pictures Website has some photographs of some Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International) lorries and motor trucks.
I myself have a soft spot for Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International),and it seems that it was a most revered road freight transport company,but alas! :exclamation: ,apparently it is no longer with us,which is
strange,since it had the same kind of status that Eddie Stobart does in the United Kingdom.

This is what I have come up with so far - and above an hour later since I wrote that,I’ve come up with more stuff on Pacific Intermountain Express :smiley: :-
There is a more recent company that is trading with the same name:-
quicktransportsolutions.com/ … 620341.php

History of a PIE CEO:-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doyle_Beatenbough

Here is a discussion about why Ryder/PIE Nationwide went out of business:-
linkedin.com/groups/once-gre … .107777349

Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International):It looks as though that it shut down in 1990 or 1991:-
highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1164147.html

Here are several. news items about Ryder/PIE Nationwide from the business news section of the
Orlando Sentinel Newspaper:-
articles.orlandosentinel.com/keyword/p-i-e

Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International and Ryder Truck Lines merged in around 1983
youtube.com/watch?v=XHwuvB4Qlv4

Oil Analysis Laboratory Continues Family Tradition
machinerylubrication.com/Rea … ory-■■■■….
… 1958 Edward sold a laboratory set-up to Pacific Intermountain Express (P.I.E.), … in Japan and Mexico were also important and proud moments in our history.

Pacific Intermountain Express LIFE Article,1947:-
myoldadz.com/index.php?main_page … ts_id=6988

PIE…a sobering thought:-
worthpoint.com/worthopedia/p … in-express

PIE depot photograph:-
content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/col … s/id/13456

An experimental PIE lorry on BigLorryBlog:-
commercialmotor.com/big-lorr … arth-is-it

JSTOR: Line Haul: The Story of Pacific Intermountain Express
LINE HAUL: THE STORY OF PACIFIC INTERMOUNTAIN EXPRESS. By Samuel W. Taylor. San Francisco, Filmer Publishing Company, 1959. Pp. 310. $5.00. …
links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0007-6805(196121)35:1<145:LHTSOP>2.0.CO;2-P
books.google.co.uk/books/about/L … edir_esc=y

The above book is for sale secondhand :smiley: :-
alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=3953453

Peterbilt and PIE:-
georgedennis.blogspot.co.uk/

A PIE In The Sky:-
hankstruckforum.com/htforum/inde … c=43103.15

Pacific Intermountain Express Trucking on EBay:-
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pie+trucking

First Gear Model of PIE Kenworth Bullnose:-
shopping.com/first-gear-truc … h/products

CD’s of Motor Truck Images,including PIE:-
fatjacksplace.com/vintagepho … details-26

Hank’s Truck Pictures PIE discussion:-
hankstruckforum.com/htforum/inde … ic=39118.0

Hank’s Truck Pictures Pacific Intermountain Express Stanley Houghton Collection:-
hankstruckpictures.com/sh_pie.htm

Hank’s Truck Pictures Pacific Intermountain Express Ken Goudy Collection:-
hankstruckpictures.com/kg_pie.htm

Images for Pacific Intermountain Express on the Internet:-
google.co.uk/search?hl=en&bi … DBP1TrFUdQ

One of my favourites:A magnificent Peterbilt 350 High Tower 6x4 Dromedary Articulated Motor Truck Outfit of Pacific Intermountain Express :smiley: :-
hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … /pb_p1.jpg

VALKYRIE.

Hi boys
Ferdy it’s good to hear from you hope you are well
Valkyrie you have been busy half an hour, more like half a day well done.
All i can say about PIE was in the mid 70’s when we were out M.E. they steamed in saying that they were going to take over all the transport going that way. big talk but soon died a death. All new trucks but no experience

Regards Keith

dessert driver:
Hi boys
Ferdy it’s good to hear from you hope you are well
Valkyrie you have been busy half an hour, more like half a day well done.
All i can say about PIE was in the mid 70’s when we were out M.E. they steamed in saying that they were going to take over all the transport going that way. big talk but soon died a death. All new trucks but no experience

Regards Keith

Very Sobartessque or Kammacish,

Waow! thanks a 1’000’000 !

I see that PIE was really a famous company in north america, then they try to make business in europe and middle-east!

The book look very interesting too
i will start to look carefully all the links!

what mean ‘‘Very Sobartessque’’ ■■?

bye4now

ferdy

I can’t remember any of the drivers names but the transport manager was ex Howells and Reavell by the name of, and I’m not joking, John Thomas who if I remember correctly was a large bearded chap. They were as previously mentioned a big North American company who thought that they would do well in UK to M/E and bought a fleet of F89s with what became known as the PIE spec cab ie, air con, fridge, cooker, table, swivel passenger seat etc and m/e spec tandem trailers with belly tanks and boxes. I believe there was also a Swedish version of the company as well.

You’re right Chazzer about John Thomas becoming a manager at PIE. John was a large bloke who wore a ‘syrup’. I seem to think that PIE had a European operation as well as the Middle East and that John Thomas was in charge of the European side of things…but I may be wrong!!

I think some of the old H&R drivers joined PIE and I would most probably have been one of them had I not have already joined Simons after H&R folded.

Wasn’t there a story on here years ago about Big Alex who also used to work for Radclive and Dow :confused: . Somebody posted an article taken from a magazine about P.I.E. taking ammunitions from Sweden to Italy I.I.R.C.

Regards Steve.

I seem to remember that their nickname was Pigs In Europe ie PIE.

Steve, it was Radclive who had the contract from NATO doing the munitions from Denmark to Italy. There’s a photo of one of the box trailers used, on the Autostrada it looks like a section near Genoa, on the Radclive Transport topic.

chazzer:
I can’t remember any of the drivers names but the transport manager was ex Howells and Reavell by the name of, and I’m not joking, John Thomas who if I remember correctly was a large bearded chap. They were as previously mentioned a big North American company who thought that they would do well in UK to M/E and bought a fleet of F89s with what became known as the PIE spec cab ie, air con, fridge, cooker, table, swivel passenger seat etc and m/e spec tandem trailers with belly tanks and boxes. I believe there was also a Swedish version of the company as well.

Evening all, my little contribution, as well as the F89s, they also had DAF 2800s, with “Middle East spec cabs”!! Kitchens etc. The whole lot ended up wih John Yardley, and John May, at Chaddersley Commercials, Hoo Brook Trading Estate, Kidderminster. All sold well, some into the trade, others to operators. I expect that someone on here owned one or two of them, would be interesting to know!

PIE was like BRS Overland, a little late in the job. I ran across a number of PIE “people” when I was working in the US, as well as the “rump”, of the company. It was not, (and they were not), quite as “shiny”, as VALKYRIES well researched posting intimates!! Often the image, does not reflect the true picture!! But I guess most of you guys have been around long enough to know that!!!

I shall raise a glass of Bollinger to PIE, and those beautiful DAFs, “Happy”, nearly had my money off me for one of those!Cheerio for now

OHS bought the Volvos but I don’t know if they purchased any of the DAFs. As far as I know they actually took over the business and whatever ‘goodwill’ there was remaining.

It always struck me as one of those companies that ended up being jobs for the boys; lets see what we can get out of it while it lasts which won’t be very long.

Nice pic

img088-1m.jpg

Thanks for all those info! very usefull, thanks also for the nice DAF picture!

robthedog:
Nice pic

THAT IS PROBABLY ,one of the best pics ever :smiley: :smiley:

The only P I E picture I have. From 1980’s in Colorado.

ALP 61S an ex PIE F89… And later owned by White Trux ?

I recently saw a PIE trailer parked in a truck park at a McDs in Illinois, it was a fairly late 53’ box van, never saw the unit and didn’t think to check out the licence plate to see where it was registered, I think I took a photo of it, I know it’s not what Ferdy is looking for, but I’ll have a dig around anyway :wink:

I thought that Jock Hastie was in charge of PIE’s British M/E fleet :question:

newmercman:
I recently saw a PIE trailer parked in a truck park at a McDs in Illinois, it was a fairly late 53’ box van, never saw the unit and didn’t think to check out the licence plate to see where it was registered, I think I took a photo of it, I know it’s not what Ferdy is looking for, but I’ll have a dig around anyway :wink:

I thought that Jock Hastie was in charge of PIE’s British M/E fleet :question:

found this on"t Net Cheers Chris.