Drivers nick names--and why

As stated on another thread,I used to know a driver called The Vicar,because he spent most of his time in a pub called The Church Inn.

Then there was Mr Pastry,driver who was the double of Richard Hearne the original Mr.Pastry!!

I’m sure there are plenty others,so come on!!

David :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Remember Jag-Joe,Joe von Nell,Handbag,The Crow,Peter the Plater,Albert the plank,Frozen hands,Mushrooman to mention a small few.The question is how did they get their nicknames

We had a lad based at Newbury, he was very tall and very thin, everybody called him ‘Split-pin’, but not to his face, didn’t want to offend him!
Even the management called him that behind his back!

We had a driver called porky, I thought he “liked” pigs but apparently his name was Walls ! :laughing: :laughing:

I used to work with a bloke known as tall Paul who was only 5 foot tall and called Paul.

Trev_H:
We had a driver called porky, I thought he “liked” pigs but apparently his name was Walls ! :laughing: :laughing:

We inherited a driver at Disely Mill who’s nick name was “Dog Pill”,real name Bob Martin !! Dennis.

We have a driver whose name is Johnny Seven so he gets called Double O :slight_smile: another one is called empty head :slight_smile:

Lets not forget Kenny Searle aka Egg on Legs or Jimmy theWig Hacking, Mr Magooie Alan Jones ,Peter Big ■■■■■■■■ Andrews,Micky Hit man for The Brownies Chinnock, Derek Rancid Rance, it ll take for ever to remember them all maybe a couple of pints of the falling down water will jog me memory.Crow.

Wonder if thats the same Egg on legs that did a few Baghdads around the same time as me, for Percy Brazendale around 80-81? think he was from the Goole area.

I used to work with a guy a couple of guys with different names. One was ‘Blue-beard’, or ‘Frosty-Chops’ depending on what mood he was in. He obviously had a white beard by the time he got home on Friday. Then there was a big lad who we called ‘THE Mighty Joe Young’

wee guy at our place … we call him … ‘’ NOT A LOT ‘’… he is paul daniels double :smiley:

petecud:
Wonder if thats the same Egg on legs that did a few Baghdads around the same time as me, for Percy Brazendale around 80-81? think he was from the Goole area.

Or maybe his nick name was ‘Little Legs’. Well, it was 30 odd years ago!

My nickname throughout my life has been bilko bnecause when i was younger i resembled phil silvers.
regards dave.

‘Bomber’ used to be a bit of a legend around Andover, first working for Switch, then for Black Lion. I believe it stemmed from his fast bowling cricketing ability…

EDIT;
Just found out he passed away in February. RIP Allan a true gentleman, so laid back you were horizontal, and an absolute pleasure to run with with.

I heard of a bloke whose nick name was 2 way Dave because he wasn’t bothered who he shared his bunk with male or female [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

a bloke once told me his mates called him pasty, when i asked why he said ‘cos oim Cornish’
made i larf!

i remember rabbi and sunday man , only worked sunday to friday , also poison dwarf , he was only a shortarse and you can guess the rest

I recall there was a Checker on 44 berth at Tilbury they called “Bungalow”,when I asked why ? “cause he’s got ■■■■ all upstairs Drive” Cheers Bewick.

I new a bloke at a firm we hauled for his Nickname was notpiss, Hi surname was Wise & boy it did suit him, Regards Larry.

Bit gruesome this one but a nick name never-the-less,J & W Watt had shunter at London Colney in the '60’s called " Two headed Mick" this bloke had one hell of a growth on the side of his neck,I would add that it never seemed to bother him.Cheers Bewick.