clampers

This happened to me around 1990 in Doncaster.

Was out of work and decided to go back to collage and do a computer course, anyway I parked the car in the collage car park and went to enrol, after sorting it all out as I was a mature student I came out to find that the car had been clamped, goes back in to the collage and had a word at reception who said I should have had a parking permit and there was nothing they could do about it as there were signs to that effect, so back I goes and could not see any signs, off I goes to the police station and had a word with them, they said that there should be a sign there and if there was no sign then they could not clamp me, gets in touch with the clamping company who said that I would have to pay the fine to get the clamp off so I told them what the police had told me, they said they would come down and show me the sign, eventually he arrives and walks round my car and said the sign should be on the wall beside my car so he gets a sign out of his van and said this is the sign.

Just a minute sunshine the sign should be on the wall and it is not so it is illegal to clamp anyone until the sign is put back up, ah but we have trouble with the students nicking the signs, tough thingies, get the clamp off or I go down to the police and charge you with disabling my property and it will be against you and not the company you work for as you should know the law, well it did not take him long to remove it after that.

I really never did find out how that sign got in my car.

Balloonie

balloonie:
This happened to me around 1990 in Doncaster.

Was out of work and decided to go back to collage and do a computer course, anyway I parked the car in the collage car park and went to enrol, after sorting it all out as I was a mature student I came out to find that the car had been clamped, goes back in to the collage and had a word at reception who said I should have had a parking permit and there was nothing they could do about it as there were signs to that effect, so back I goes and could not see any signs, off I goes to the police station and had a word with them, they said that there should be a sign there and if there was no sign then they could not clamp me, gets in touch with the clamping company who said that I would have to pay the fine to get the clamp off so I told them what the police had told me, they said they would come down and show me the sign, eventually he arrives and walks round my car and said the sign should be on the wall beside my car so he gets a sign out of his van and said this is the sign.

Just a minute sunshine the sign should be on the wall and it is not so it is illegal to clamp anyone until the sign is put back up, ah but we have trouble with the students nicking the signs, tough thingies, get the clamp off or I go down to the police and charge you with disabling my property and it will be against you and not the company you work for as you should know the law, well it did not take him long to remove it after that.

I really never did find out how that sign got in my car.

Balloonie

Nice one Balloonie, and welcome to the forum, you’ve obviously had a good look round, digging up this 13 year old thread. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi David.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I started at page 1 on the Old Time Lorries etc and went through to 144, made some interesting reading. I did join a few years ago and in the old age had forgot that I had, so re joined under balloonie then found my name on here and thought that was me, bugger.

Norman.

balloonie:
Hi David.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I started at page 1 on the Old Time Lorries etc and went through to 144, made some interesting reading. I did join a few years ago and in the old age had forgot that I had, so re joined under balloonie then found my name on here and thought that was me, bugger.

Norman.

I had a similar, but not the same, re-incarnation. Joined in 2003 under my old CB handle ‘Bondi Tram’ and then later, for some reason which neither I nor the assembled admins could fathom out, I was unable to post. So, at Rikkie’s suggestion I rejoined in 2004 under my modern name, which has its origins near to where I live. :smiley:

Anyway, back to the thread, I understand that nowadays it is illegal to clamp on private property in England. I once considered buying 2 clamps for the car when parking at the hospital in Nottingham. They built a multi story which was a haven for thieves and vandals and painted double yellows on the perimeter and adjoining roads. The clampers were there to enfoce the rules. I reckoned that if I parked close to the kerb and put my own clamps on the offside wheels, there was little they could do. And if I bought clamps of the same make, model and colour as theirs, they would assume that one of the mates had got me sorted. Thinking back, perhaps 2 clamps would have been suspicious, one would be better, and cheaper, for it was the cost that put me off. :laughing:

Some years ago, was parked on Weymouth station coach park (mud patch) alongside an empty artic, which was not displaying a ticket. Yobbo turns up in a Transit van and proceeds to apply a clamp. As he is doing so, driver turns up.
‘What you doing?’
‘Obvious, innit? I’m clamping you’
‘I’m telling you politely - take it off!’
‘It’s on now, you gotta pay the fee’
‘Last time - take it off!’
'Not til you pay"
With that, the driver got into the cab, started the engine and lifted the (clamped) tag axle.
‘Pick it up at Wakefield Police station, any time after Saturday morning’ and drove off to the cheers of about 25 of us watchers!

Steve

Ste46:
Some years ago, was parked on Weymouth station coach park (mud patch) alongside an empty artic, which was not displaying a ticket. Yobbo turns up in a Transit van and proceeds to apply a clamp. As he is doing so, driver turns up.
‘What you doing?’
‘Obvious, innit? I’m clamping you’
‘I’m telling you politely - take it off!’
‘It’s on now, you gotta pay the fee’
‘Last time - take it off!’
'Not til you pay"
With that, the driver got into the cab, started the engine and lifted the (clamped) tag axle.
‘Pick it up at Wakefield Police station, any time after Saturday morning’ and drove off to the cheers of about 25 of us watchers!

Steve

Well that is a classic, I live in a small village in Northumberland, There are lot of parking problems during school s when parents come to pick their kids up, I was parked outside the local shops recently at 2.50.pm, The shop I was in getting my fruit & veg was in sight of my car, I saw this Traffic warden taking a photo of my car So went over and said am I getting booked or what this was 1 minute after 3.00. pm When the time limit comes into force, Not if you are going now, I was in no way causing any problems to anyone, But the law is the law I surpose, Common sence seems to have gone out the window to some people, Regards Larry.

Spardo:
Pardon my ignorance Truckboy, but how do you drive off with the clamp attached?
Not doubting, just interested.

Salut, David.

^^^^^^^^^^
try any one of these two…
youtube.com/watch?v=fA3MMb4IG7s
youtube.com/watch?v=r95NLHMo7K8

or have a smile at the third guys logic…
youtube.com/watch?v=aFj3-9EolRc

Perfectly reasonable when the bum hole clamps the rear wheel [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first of twenty posts on this thread was 30th January 2005 and the last one was 29th May 2019, yesterday. Fourteen years and four months. Thats gotta be some kind of a record for longevity on TNUK.

That’s the advantage of these forums, you don’t need to bump them up, an unread post is always an unread post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked for a firm about 5 years ago and the boss was a right character…anyway he had a girlfriend in docklands and rumour has it that he actually paid fro the place where she lived…the front of the property had a private parking bay…but the residents were supposed to display a parking badge or residents permit…so he thought that seeing he owned the property…that was good enough…so after staying overnight…came down in the morning to find his range rover clamped…so after a few swear words he rang the number given…and politely asked them to remove the clamp…they turned up after half an hour and demanded £268…so after telling them where to go he drove off…clamp attached…and headed towards the yard…whilst on the move he phoned the fitters to tell them what had happened…and as the clampers drove in behind him…they were to pull a rigid across the gate…blocking them in…so he reached the yard…the 17 tonner was put across the yard…blocking their exit…and then the fitters proceeded to cut off the said clamp with cutting gear…the clampers called the police…my boss demanded £268 to let them out of the yard…the police turned up and told them that he was in the right as it was private property…my boss stuck to his guns…and demanded cash…and after 2 hours their boss showed up…with the cash…and an apology…and that was that…and i was in the yard that morning to witness it…what a laugh…but just shows that if youve got the cash…you can beat them…
have a nice day

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Thats great :laughing: I remember years ago a story about some guy who got clamped somewhere and called the police to report his car had been hijacked, the police showed up and booked the clampers, they released the car in return for all charges being dropped :laughing: :laughing:

Funny story truckyboy :laughing: .

Any one heard the story about the clamper who fitted a clamp to a fuel tanker ?.
It’s probably an urban myth, but then again these clamper’s are not in the job due to their intelligence are they.

I dont know if its the same story but i was talking to a tanker driver once who said he had been clamped in one of the services…anyway he was carrying a haz-chem load and let the clamper get on with it…it was all over the parking fee which he said he didnt have to pay cos he was carrying a hazardous load.well it turns out that the police were called…told the clamper to take the clamp off because if there was a problem with the load …it couldnt be moved…and then proceeded to give the clamper a lecture about the whys and wherefores of trucks carrying dangerouse loads and never to clamp one again…on another thread …when i was on haz-chem tankers i was told by the police never to park in a lay-by when carrying haz goods…
have a nice day

truckyboy:
I worked for a firm about 5 years ago and the boss was a right character…anyway he had a girlfriend in docklands and rumour has it that he actually paid fro the place where she lived…the front of the property had a private parking bay…but the residents were supposed to display a parking badge or residents permit…so he thought that seeing he owned the property…that was good enough…so after staying overnight…came down in the morning to find his range rover clamped…so after a few swear words he rang the number given…and politely asked them to remove the clamp…they turned up after half an hour and demanded £268…so after telling them where to go he drove off…clamp attached…and headed towards the yard…whilst on the move he phoned the fitters to tell them what had happened…and as the clampers drove in behind him…they were to pull a rigid across the gate…blocking them in…so he reached the yard…the 17 tonner was put across the yard…blocking their exit…and then the fitters proceeded to cut off the said clamp with cutting gear…the clampers called the police…my boss demanded £268 to let them out of the yard…the police turned up and told them that he was in the right as it was private property…my boss stuck to his guns…and demanded cash…and after 2 hours their boss showed up…with the cash…and an apology…and that was that…and i was in the yard that morning to witness it…what a laugh…but just shows that if youve got the cash…you can beat them…
have a nice day

what about in bagdad they let your tyres down tell you to move you can not because you have a flat so they nick you if you not pay they take off your number plate

No one is allowed to clamp a vehicle now, if they dont have a diploma :open_mouth:

Read the other clamping story, or do a search for screwfix :smiley:

Wonderful story ,and nice to learn that justice can be achieved

it was nice to read about these puffed up simpoletons getting

there just rewards.Yes it is true you are not allowed to clamp

a vehicle with Hazardous load, but you always find someone

with a pea for a brain doing this type of work.

Pardon my ignorance Truckboy, but how do you drive off with the clamp attached?
Not doubting, just interested.

Salut, David.

It was a few years ago in the early clamp days…the clamps then were like a skid that slipped under your wheels…so using that as a ski and able to change the drive from front to rear he drove off…clamp attached…i wasnt there when he did it…only heard the story from the boss himself…well this boss was the one who broke the strike at wapping and thats how he started…and hes still here today working for the sun…another story was he also owned a warehouse…and in this warehouse was a huge fibre glass whale…it had been used for an exhibition…well he also owned a shotgun…and used the whale for target practice…much to the annoyance of the owner when he turned up…