Large UK lorry fleets 1950's to present day!

What large fleets of lorries from all over the UK can members recall from past and also present days.
From Wales we had,

Mansel Davies .
Entress.
Cardiff Transport.
Blue Line.
Illtyd Thomas.
John Raymond.
Hills of Cardiff
Glyn John.
Owens of Llanelli.
Roberts of Knighton.
W G Davies.
Morfa Transport.

Plus many more.

Robson’s of Carlisle had a very big fleet …and a spotter’s list way before Stobart’s…

Pickfords Heavy Haulage
Pickfords Removals
British Road Services
B.R.S. Parcels
Ferrymasters
Scottish Road Services
Forth Road Services
Robert Wynns ( Newport )
Exel

munro of aberdeen
pollocks of musselburgh
james c ashworth of bradford
aone transport leeds
wh malcolm brookfield
suttons of st helens
alfred hymas of harrogate
w carters woodbridge
bowmurs of cannock
charles alexander aberdeen
christian salvesen ?

Hiya …vic wild…stoke on trent
Adams butter… leek
sam longson…buxton
wh phillips… matlock
stone and ogan…derby
blue circle cement
hoveringham
london brick
sammy williams
metal box
hotpoint
bowaters
richard johnson
berresfords…stoke on trent
consolidated land services
runcorn tankers
James c ashworth
ackworth
clugson
william nicol
youl and dodds
wh malcom
all the petrol compamies
to name a few
John

Got a few more from the Border counties.
Taylors of Martley.
Swains of Stretton.
D & N Morgan Craven Arms.
Lloyds of Ludlow.
Cadwalladers of Oswestry.
Arthur Oakley of Hereford.
W T Hurdsman St Martins Shropshire.
The Direct Transport Co from Gobowen.
H & L Robinson Hereford.
John Bevan Hereford.

Hi all,
Here’s a few from all over the uk.
Turners of soham
Hills of Cardiff
Charles Alexander
Anderson new house
J.r. Adams tyneside
Russell of Bathgate
Munro Aberdeen
D.steven wick
Simpson Tyneside
Ferguson of Blythe
prestons of potto and fvs.
Sunter bros. Northallerton
Heanor haulage Derbyshire
Russell Davies
Brain haulage
Knowles wimblington
Ken Thomas guyhirn
Davis of Corby
Pitter bros.southampton
Mat transport
Davis bros. London
Valley carriers penarth
All the supermarkets
Brs
R.j.b neale and son dagenham
Longson of chapel en le frith
Holt lane transport Prescott merseyside
Bowker of blackburn
Regards andrew

Collings and Stevenson
A J Bull
Drinkwater
Cranleigh Freight Services
Redland Brick
Milk Marketing Board

Notice British Railways missing? Do they count?
Regards, Gordon Wil

From my area,Allinsons Darlington.Direct transport earlier Davidsons Shildon.John Dee.Spinks .Durhams.Siddle c.Cook.Elddis.Stiiler transport,who i worked for for the best part of my working life,photo been shown by me before it shows the fleet in the early 70s.

Also from your neck of the woods Vic were Sadlers who at one time had a fleet of near 100 trucks.

W.H.Williams(Haulage) Ltd Spennymoor 1919-1986. By 1986 we had a fleet of over 100.
Here is a photograph of our depot at Green Lane Industrial Estate Spennymoor, when it was still being buit and developed from 1984 with some of the vehicles that were parked up at home on the Saturday morning of the photo

in the late 70s untill now you couldn’t go anwhere in europe
without seing a curries truck

Over the last few decades, I think the largest road fleet operated in the UK has consistently been the Royal Mail. As more private sector operators come along (DHL, UPS etc) they could, if they haven’t already come down the ranks. Most of the state owned companies had large fleets though (ie Post Office telephones and the Gas, Electric and Dairy boards etc.) I am sure that whilst working for Ferrymasters in the 80’s, it was documented that their fleet was the largest of that time, but a lot of their equipment was registered overseas. Suttons of St Helens were a big player back in the day as were, of course the nationalised BRS, but they were just made up from many other smaller companies. Tesco had, up until they became “green” a massive own account fleet as did the Co op in the post war years. Going back to so called “progress” Eddie Stobart have developed an extensive fleet having aquired the likes of the Tesco business and Brian O’Connors.

Can remember seeing a lot of Bulwark and Smith of Maddison motors as a kid.

A few from North Wales.
L E Jones.
Gwynedd Shipping.
Roberts of Ffestiniog.
Williams Bros Wales.
MacCarthy’s.
Cawley Bros.

Hiya…where the hell have all these outfits gone . no wonder we could go from job to job in the old days.
most of the comanies named are large outfits. what about the smaller 10 or so lorry outfits we have,nt mentioned.
scarey what happened… mind you i don,t blame hauliers for getting out of haulage with all the hassel firms get.
John

Stanfield:
Also from your neck of the woods Vic were Sadlers who at one time had a fleet of near 100 trucks.

Thats right John,both you and me know where they ended up :frowning: :frowning: :astonished: I worked with a lot of Sadlers men for a long time including yourself as you know when you all came over to Stillers,but i worked with good few for years before then on the Phillips contract.Vic.

Richard Read of Longhope had a large fleet when i worked for him.Mostly ERF,s but Leyland,Dodge and one Atkinson 8 wheeler tipper.The first new 8 wheeler in the Forest of Dean,

Some more from Wales.
W F Hall Goodwick.
David Saunders Pembroke.
Charles Footman Carmarthen.
T Alun Jones Welshpool.
T D Williams Ammanford.