Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

As I have quite a few photos of Rank Hovis and Spillers fleets I’ll post them for others to look at. Any other contributions to this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Flour Milling 048.jpg

And one from Ranks

Rank Foden.jpg

Lovely stuff, keep them coming Graham!

Flour Milling 118.jpg

Flour Milling 141.jpg

Great nostalgic photo’s thanks Graham.

Flour Milling 095.jpg

Flour Milling 164.jpg

You must have read my mind Graham, i was just about to ask if you had any photo’s of lorry and trailers - great stuff, cheers!

Flour Milling 163.jpg

For you to enjoy, Bill

Flour Milling 106.jpg

And for fleet versatility the DAF could be used as a tanker plus curtainsider, or two curtainsider bodies was another option

Flour Milling 105.jpg

After rationalisation and closure of mills the remaining CWS mills became part of J.W. French, which soon afterwards became owned by Spillers, trading for a time as Spillers-French Milling.

Ranks Flour No.250:-Foden S21 Spaceship FE,or FG,or KE,or KG6/24 Bulk Powder Tanker 8x4 Lorry,844 CLF
was registered in London in either 1961 or,more possiably,1962.
This Foden S21 Spaceship-cabbed lorry was probably an FG,but it still could be one of the other models.

VALKYRIE

Thanks for that information about the year of registration. Ranks was very conservative in its Foden specifications during the 1950s and early 1960s, sticking with what was tried and tested. Many of Ranks vehicles were registered in London (East Ham) irrespective of where they were based in the country.

Great photos Graham,thanks.
I notice the Hippo with the drag has a WY West Riding reg. which is interesting.

This Daf was an ex Spillers Tanker, from their Trafford Park Depot & converted to a tipper by its present owners G.Lowdon Ltd Seaton Burn, it was down by David Lowdon, & I hand painted the tipper body for him, Regards Larry.

This Foden S21 Spaceship-cabbed lorry was probably an FG,but it still could be one of the other models.

Don’t you mean ‘Sputnik’ instead of Spaceship, the S21 got this nickname before becoming more commonly known as the ‘Mickey Mouse’ cab, due to the release date being around the same time as the Russian Sputnik space rocket launch.

Frankydobo:

Don’t you mean ‘Sputnik’ instead of Spaceship, the S21 got this nickname before becoming more commonly known as the ‘Mickey Mouse’ cab, due to the release date being around the same time as the Russian Sputnik space rocket launch.

You are quite correct ther F/D, they were refered to as the Sputnick, But then of course Mickey Mouse became the famous name for the S21, which I think was the better choice, Regards Larry.