How many hauliers started with these old Bedfords

Ex military

during the second world war many of the 3 tonners and 1500cwt army and raf bedfords were abandoned during the fall of france(the troops escaped at dunkirk). the BEF ( British Expeditionary Force) left a massive 64,000 vehicles behind!!!(plus all of their medium and heavy artillery) many of these vehicles continued to give sterling service to the ■■■■’s after they were gratefully captured,as most of the german army was still heavily reliant on horses.only the best equiped german frontline units were mechanised in 1940.the germans were particularly fond of the bedfords.

my first drive summers spent at spennymoor

Heres the remains of a one 1957 , Regards Larry

Another good old workhorse, Bedfords were the best in those days, Regards Larry

I remember Crendon Concrete from Goole had loads of old ex army Bedfords. Some of them had hand operated semafore indicators and if you were going a bit quick (over 25) the metal arm would not come down you had to slow down a bit. They used ones with a jib for erecting and flat backs for pulling the cabin and carrying the gear.

Another one past it’s prime. Blackburn Bros. ex coal lorry Godalming Surrey

Carlc:
I remember Crendon Concrete from Goole had loads of old ex army Bedfords. Some of them had hand operated semafore indicators and if you were going a bit quick (over 25) the metal arm would not come down you had to slow down a bit. They used ones with a jib for erecting and flat backs for pulling the cabin and carrying the gear.

Crendon and JL EVE ran those ex military Bedsteads

The first lorry my uncle drove was the MS type tipper for the NCB when they built the coke works at Fishburn County Durham his pal drove a tipper like the John Gornall one for a sand and gravel pit near Thorpe Thewels i remember as a very young boy him calling at my Grandmothers for a cup of tea ,i can not remember the name of the company that ran the Quarry ,i think the livery was grey and red (anybody?) it would be in the late 40s early 50s

transportphotos.com/road/photos

Those war time pattern Bedfords were certainly bought in many numbers after the war along with the heavier makes which would be used for heavy haulage and recovery. The civilian market had suffered during the war years as you would expect as most production had been adjusted to turning out military requirements, ammunition, buttons and buckles etc, as well as vehicles. So after the war many firms that had operated before 1939 bought these vehicles as they were cheaper and it gave the many ex forces drivers a chance to start up hoping to make a living in transport as some did. The well known O Series had just came out before the war and it was modified to enable cheap manufacture of the bonnet and wings from flat panels for quick and easy replacement but mainly to cut down production cost and metal which rapidly became in short supply during and for a spell after the war. The ‘Bull Nose’ Bedford as the O series was more commonly known eventually became the more often seen type but the ex forces flat front Bedford still served for many years in its new civilian role. Bedford then and previous to the war made a ■■■■ good reliable and economical vehicle that could be used in many forms as the pics above show. Below is a Bedford sales poster from the time. Cheers Franky.

Harry Goodwill in his young days haurling opencast coal, Regards Larry.

I took this when I was in Malta somes years ago, Regards Larry.

A mixed fleet from E.BUTLER & SONS (MALTBY) I think the ones to the right are J type bedfords,hope that is right.

Here’s one from West Norfolk BRS.

Frankydobo:
Those war time pattern Bedfords were certainly bought in many numbers after the war along with the heavier makes which would be used for heavy haulage and recovery. The civilian market had suffered during the war years as you would expect as most production had been adjusted to turning out military requirements, ammunition, buttons and buckles etc, as well as vehicles. So after the war many firms that had operated before 1939 bought these vehicles as they were cheaper and it gave the many ex forces drivers a chance to start up hoping to make a living in transport as some did. The well known O Series had just came out before the war and it was modified to enable cheap manufacture of the bonnet and wings from flat panels for quick and easy replacement but mainly to cut down production cost and metal which rapidly became in short supply during and for a spell after the war. The ‘Bull Nose’ Bedford as the O series was more commonly known eventually became the more often seen type but the ex forces flat front Bedford still served for many years in its new civilian role. Bedford then and previous to the war made a ■■■■ good reliable and economical vehicle that could be used in many forms as the pics above show. Below is a Bedford sales poster from the time. Cheers Franky.

Hello Franky, did the British Army ever use the “O” series during the war? I’ve only ever seen “OW” series in WW2 films. Cheers Haddy.

Realy enjoyed looking at the BEDFORDS the first lorry i learned to drive in belonged to A ROWE BARNSLEY on an outcop at KIPPAX took the coal to Temple Newsam screens 1953 school hols loved it Johnny Rowe taught me to drive (BLESS HIM) they bought all their lorrys from mod

more Bedfords

Quite a few old Bedfords on Youtube

Another old Bedford, & a good workhorse to say the least, It belonged to my cousin who ran it for a long time, Leyland engine with a two speed axle it pulled 14 ton in its its day, Regards Larry.