Wincanton transport+ milk tankers

any old wincanton boys on here . i was london based . done my share of miles on the A303

Not really a old boy but done 20 years for Wincanton, about 14 on fuel tankers and the rest as a trainer up north.

Which milk brands did Wincanton deal with? I recall Express Dairies, United Dairies, Jobs, Unigate, St Ivel. What were the runs, London, but where else? Chard Junction, Seaton Junction, Ilminster?

fryingpan:
Which milk brands did Wincanton deal with? I recall Express Dairies, United Dairies, Jobs, Unigate, St Ivel. What were the runs, London, but where else? Chard Junction, Seaton Junction, Ilminster?

Until the late 90s Wincanton were part of the Unigate Group who owned United Dairies and St. Ivel as well as other companies,so I presume Wincanton carried Cow and Gate and United Dairies milk - that’s where Unigate name came from.There’s a couple of excellent books been written about Wincanton and milk haulage.

I served me time with Wincanton,a 14 year stint after they took over Glass Glover Distribution …
everything went downhill after that. :laughing:

they had a large depot in darlaston west midlands.but went past the other week and was shocked to see it had been flattened to make way for houses !!! :frowning: :frowning:

i ran out of unigate dairy in london, most of our milk came from the west country. we ran into chard junction,wellington,evercreech and the reload centre at wincanton. we also had 4 loads a day off the isle of wight. and at least 6 loads came out of wooton bassett(27000 gallons). . . we didnt do litres in those days.

I worked for Wincanton tspt on the Milk Marque contract out of Unigate Dairies in Marshfield nr Newport for the 3 years they had it before we lost the contract to Lloyd Frazer, best lorry firm I have worked for, lorries we had didnt do us any favours ,then moved to Unigate delivering the bottles to the dairies, didn’t last long there.
Passed Marshfield the other day all gone now, housing estate where the dairy once stood.

i ran into marshfield a few times . . and i done bottle work before the tankers. unigate were a good mob to work for.

:unamused: hi there all, i worked for wincanton on the chilled side out of bumper lane,my manager was richard thorne,used to do a run to transport avenue,anyone remember tommy hall on the tanker side,used to live at east knowle,also any of you remember ivor downs and his brother dave,they were on the hot tar out of frome station,then we all went on the runs out to the middle east.im now 66yrs old and have lost contact with them all,good old days.

Farm collection tanker unloading at unigate ‘westway’ dairy. . London w12

Bit before my time . . But a lovely looking beast !

Heres a good old un APOLLO.

Thanks for that tankerian. . Wincanton have had some eye catching liveries in the past . . Not like the plain white units of today. And that word “logistics” !!. Sorry im looking through my rose tinted glasses again.

Heres some more of apollo

I have quite a few of these, the driver is Dave Wenlock who operated out of Darleston depot. Enjoy !!!

2012-06-06 14.51.25.jpgNYA 703P .fleet name ‘river thames’. . I think was the first B series on the milk fleet . Seen here at the end of her life on shunting duties.

I like the F10 . . The best we got were Guy big J’s followed by ERF and Foden fleetmasters.

Farm collection tanker.

2012-06-06 14.55.51.jpg

use to load out of pura foods poplar london with wincantons drivers back in the late 80s early 90s from wincanton depot. remember a couple of first names stan ex fitter lived yeovil if i am correct and les didnt know is last name good lads tho. :wink:

Around about the 80’s a few of the milk/men went on away work on various products . . Wine from shoreham docks for example.