Portsmouth/Fareham Companies

Anyone remember any of these guys and companies.
Eagleway Freight
Steve Ansell and his dog (the Pasty eating Ridgeback)
Seabrooks
Hayes of Fareham Dave Curry and John Heather
Mike Stowe Transfreight Europa in the coal yard hilsea
Portsdown Chris Small
Grubby and Ken Clark
John Pople
Marty Ruffle
Theres a start there most be a load more and some printable storys to go with them

a few familar names in there, the smalls had Independent port services before they became portsdown,remember Grubby (les) and Ken,now he was a proper ol school mechanic! had a few laughs with them 2 up at waterlooville.
transport companies in fareham are a rare thing these days.

Remember when Grubby had the heart attack in Alan Watkins old yard (Hunts Pond Rd) rumour has it they had to steam clean him at the hospital before they would give him a bed. You right about them being good old school mechanics though, They would make a fortune out here theres no one who can repair parts they just keep throwing bits at it until it works again. I sold a Iveco to Chris Small he never spoke to me again I wonder why?

I sold a Iveco to Chris Small he never spoke to me again I wonder why?
[/quote]
I should’nt let that worry you, but must say you where lucky to find a mug for an iveco back in those days!
I presume you were fareham based,did ken repair your vehicles then?

Yes I was lucky to find a mug to buy a Iveco back then an old 220/30 if I remember right twin steer rust bucket. I lived in Lee but Ken and Les looked after that Iveco and a Scania and a Troubleliner I had.

Steve Ansell works with me moving mobile medical scanners and as far as I know still lives in the fareham area.

Marty Ruffle is something to do with the haulage/car sales/valeting outfit on burfields roads right next to the railway bridge.

Cheers
Neilf

neilf:
Steve Ansell works with me moving mobile medical scanners and as far as I know still lives in the fareham area.

Marty Ruffle is something to do with the haulage/car sales/valeting outfit on burfields roads right next to the railway bridge.

Cheers
Neilf

Hi Neilf,

Has Steve still got his White ? His dad Mick was a nice guy to do business with.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

neilf:

Cheers
Neilf

Hi Neilf,

Has Steve still got his White ? His dad Mick was a nice guy to do business with.

Regards
Richard

I was with him last night and we were talking about are days on seabrook !!! and where everyone had gone ! cant believe im that old now boss !!

MaggieD

I dont think Steve still has the white because I’m sure he worked for a firm in fareham before coming to us. Can’t think of their name but it’s white DAFs with bright green stripes and I’m sure there’s a “d” in it.

I will ask him next time I see him though.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilf:
MaggieD Hi All Steve was working for Dean Wilson DK Transport out of Daedalus in Lee On Solent.Regards Todd

I dont think Steve still has the white because I’m sure he worked for a firm in fareham before coming to us. Can’t think of their name but it’s white DAFs with bright green stripes and I’m sure there’s a “d” in it.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll get the hang of it Todd!

He parks on HMS Daedlus at DK Tranports yard.

marrinersnr/jnr:

MaggieD:

neilf:

Cheers
Neilf

Hi Neilf,

Regards
Richard

I was with him last night and we were talking about are days on seabrook !!! and where everyone had gone ! cant believe im that old now boss !!

Hi Ian,
I can’t believe how old you are ! I got my bus pass this week,when are you coming round to buy me a pint ?
Remember me to your dad,I will get round to ringing you both.
Regards
Richard

free rides on buses now boss eh !!!
been trying to get round but dad doesnt do much these days so will get him to come over !!!
then you can here how a renault R310 was uncomfortable lol :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
give my love to the main boss

Hi All Steve was working for Dean Wilson DK Transport out of Daedalus in Lee On Solent.Regards Todd

Cheers
Neilf

When you see Steve can you remember me to him . The names Keith . The wife and I sat round Steves house in Fareham talking about moving to Canada some years ago. We did it and he had a lucky escape and stayed at home. When we were home last Christmas I noticed that Alan Jerram’s company in Daedalus had grown a bit over the last few years. I also remember him from British International along with John Povey(Barnes) Carl to name a few. I would be gratefull.

Talking to Rolly the other day and he was telling me Marty Ruffle had bought W Sibleys transport so hes still in the game, but most of the owner drivers from your era have knocked it on the head, very few of the bigger pompey hauliers exist anymore and as for o/ds there more or less extinct,im only still going coz i figured years ago that theres no money in artics round here, 1 man 1 truck with a crane will always earn a living…hopefully!

is arfer porter windebanks still going rolly ruffles was his mate if i remember it was a long time ago

dbcooper:
Talking to Rolly the other day and he was telling me Marty Ruffle had bought W Sibleys transport so hes still in the game, but most of the owner drivers from your era have knocked it on the head, very few of the bigger pompey hauliers exist anymore and as for o/ds there more or less extinct,im only still going coz i figured years ago that theres no money in artics round here, 1 man 1 truck with a crane will always earn a living…hopefully!

I remember a flat with a crane on it owned by Tony the rat in gosport now thats going back a few!!!

windebanks are long gone think it was sometime in the eighties they finished, tony had a ford d series with a crane on it did a lot of scrap cars and stuff, i knew a few of the o/ds that use to frequent waterlooville the likes of the late John Price,Peter pierce ,Bob Browning and a guy called Shaw ? who had a Daf 3300. would of been the early nineties.the only one i know thats still going would be Phil Dickenson who has quite a big fleet now

The ‘Grubby’ referred to,is that Les Driver,formerly from the Wigston,Leicester area?

Euro PSL.
Freight Transfer Ltd.
Garnett Eurotans.