ERF 'European' (1975)

Recently found article in Truck magazine early 90’s, the ERF ‘European’ or to give its correct model designation NGC 420.
How many were built? Interestingly, the test reported the 335 ■■■■■■■ engined test machine was quicker than a 140 Scania :slight_smile:

380streamline:
Recently found article in Truck magazine early 90’s, the ERF ‘European’ or to give its correct model designation NGC 420.
How many were built? Interestingly, the test reported the 335 ■■■■■■■ engined test machine was quicker than a 140 Scania :slight_smile:

not suprised scannis gear box and range excange was not for acceleration, bet the erf had fuller box

The 140 should have been faster on a straight climb, though. 350bhp (gross) beats 335. If I remember correctly, the 140 had 920lbft, the NTC335 890 or thereabouts. The 140 would also make a nicer racket, although this is a matter of taste. :laughing: Also a taste issue- the LB Scania was a better-looking machine. The ERF European (and the Dennis of the period) were blatant, shameless and inferior rip-offs of Scania’s styling- the Swedes should have kicked both firms through the courts.

[zb]
anorak:
The 140 should have been faster on a straight climb, though. 350bhp (gross) beats 335. If I remember correctly, the 140 had 920lbft, the NTC335 890 or thereabouts. The 140 would also make a nicer racket, although this is a matter of taste. :laughing: Also a taste issue- the LB Scania was a better-looking machine. The ERF European (and the Dennis of the period) were blatant, shameless and inferior rip-offs of Scania’s styling- the Swedes should have kicked both firms through the courts.

same tought,s but in acceleraton sisu with cmmins and fuller and some else then me to drive was faster,but scania climed hills as god when you had same speed(better of cause).NOTING WINNS A SCANIA(for me) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

380streamline:

I have heard one or two people refer to these motors as “Sandbach Scanias” in the past, must be because the front grille and bonnet is similar to a 111 / 141. Anyone else ever heard that said about them??

jimbotruck:

380streamline:

I have heard one or two people refer to these motors as “Sandbach Scanias” in the past, must be because the front grille and bonnet is similar to a 111 / 141. Anyone else ever heard that said about them??

ERF united glass.jpg

Hiya albert dale

Think this is the one Albert Dale had from new.

colinwallace1:

Hi John,glad you liked the picture and it’s great to hear from someone who knew the lorry from new.Spoke to my dad (who drove GEH for John Simmons)and as far as he can remember John bought GEH from Beechs garage at stoke after Albert Dale sold it. Did you also drive a 7mw?. I’ve seen a picture of one in Beresfords colour’s JDF 132N and didn’t know if it was a subbie or not. So i’m pretty sure it was never a recovery truck, although i have seen pictures of a red 7mw recovery truck. If thats the one you mean it wasn’t GEH.

Shame they had to raid the parts bin for mirror arms-door hinges-door handles- etc etc & no doubt etc from the C series.
Not to mention designing the thing for the 180 Gardner before realizing that the ■■■■■■■■ was a tad longer, no sweat they just put a longer front section on below the screen and hopped that no one would notice. :unamused:

Dodgy Permit:
Shame they had to raid the parts bin for mirror arms-door hinges-door handles- etc etc & no doubt etc from the C series.
Not to mention designing the thing for the 180 Gardner before realizing that the ■■■■■■■■ was a tad longer, no sweat they just put a longer front section on below the screen and hopped that no one would notice. :unamused:

Cobblers, and the C series wasnt around until 81. not one thing you mention is in the least bit true :unamused:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

Dodgy Permit:

Cobblers, and the C series wasnt around until 81. not one thing you mention is in the least bit true :unamused:

Not quite untrue either, they raided the parts bin for the cab, the engine, clutch, gearbox, axles, etc :open_mouth:

ERF were assemblers not manufacturers, so they didn’t make much than the badge on that lorry :laughing:

Not a very popular thing either, surprising really as by comparison, the Transcon and the Marathon sold far better and ERF had a reputation for building a premium product, whereas pre Transcon Fords were at the lower end of things and Leyland had lost most of its previous good reputation by the late 60s. Shame really, ERF may have still been here today if they’d cracked the premium market back then :wink:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

Dodgy Permit:

A,B,C whats the odds (have you looked carefully at the posted pictures) and my post was tounge in cheek. :wink:

img856.jpgDoes anyone know if this one belonged to Beresford’s or did a subbie own it? And if this one and Albert Dale’s were the only 7mw’s in Beresfords colour’s.

Does anyone have any interior pictures?

toomanybikes:
Does anyone have any interior pictures?

There you go.

A survivor