ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-Continental:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:
It was suggested to me this morning that in theory, ERF might have made more than one prototype NGC. The dictionary definition suggests only one. Anybody know how many prototypes are normal for a new model? Robert

None. It can be any number. After the prototypes have done their bit, and the production tools have been made, they test the actual processes used to make the vehicles, prior to launch. Those vehicles are called pre-production. If they are any good, they will go out as demonstrators, and even end up in the hands of customers. I would guess that the vehicles you are referring to were pre-production. They were very similar to the end product, bar the few details you have mentioned. There could have been one or ten of them. A big firm like Leyland would have built maybe 100 vehicles of a new range, all off production tools, before taking a batch to Earls Court.

Not sure which NGC was a previous demonstrator but both Van Steenbergen and CDB were keen on trials/errors and I recall some trials with for example ‘changes’ with regard to engine and chassis.

Pay attention to the fact that ‘old’ bumpers (mind the inset/lower part) were available and used to ‘newer’ products. The NGC on the first brochure (with glass trailer) had a non-straight bumper.

I (again) expect this will be neglected in terms of a simple workshop-change within some hours?

CDB also had trials with their White- and Autocar-range, hence the 2nd White Road Commander for Van Steenbergen, just some months after delivery of the previous version with split windows

I see what you mean: the prototype unit’s bumper has a shallow recess cut out of the top edge just below the tow-pack. Production models have a continuous straight edge. The rest of the bumper appears identical. This prototype unit appears to be the only one with that bumper, as even the first two NGCs dispatched (Van Steenbergen and Thibaut) have the ‘normal’ version. Also, the 20 or so pictures we have of the prototype unit(s) rather suggest that it was a single lorry, but who knows (?) it may transpire that they were more than one! Robert