Pictures of old American Cabovers and other junk

A few pictures of old American Trucks, some still working, some not.

I like the look of the one that dropped from space… :smiley:

fly sheet:
I like the look of the one that dropped from space… :smiley:

That Diesel pump is weird pull up fill up and have to reverse out !!

A few more. US, Mexican and New Zealand registrations.

Now then Mr Arbon, I’m going to have to question the junk part of the title, the Freightliners yes, but not the beautiful old Internationals and no way the 362 Petes, that one with the spreadaxle grain bucket is almost ■■■■ :laughing:

The pete looks like its had a roof chop.

Look at the sleeper cab on that black unit, its ridiculous, looks like the driver spends most of his day wedged up against the steering wheel and the night being able to play tennis in there only to find he is suffering from cramps due to the lack of space in the actual working part of the cab.

Some more cabovers and for Mr. Flysheet; another one of those “Returned Alien Abduction Trucks.”

How clever is that Chris, you got a Searcy truck in there with the one at the Kwip Trip in Mauston too, it’s almost like you could see into the future when you took that, any chance of picking some lotto numbers for me :question: :laughing:

some us truck photos here.taken in the late 70 s
gallery/album.php?album_id=446
flickr.com/photos/billcar/se … 276052136/
regards captmarvel

Some nice pictures of old American stuff on that link from Capt Marvel. Here’s a few more from the digital age.

JLS Driver SOS:
Look at the sleeper cab on that black unit, its ridiculous, looks like the driver spends most of his day wedged up against the steering wheel and the night being able to play tennis in there only to find he is suffering from cramps due to the lack of space in the actual working part of the cab.

The engine must be reliable, because there is no way that cab tilts, unless there is a tipper ram between the exhaust stacks. Maybe the shed on the back of it is a workshop, complete with gantry crane. Agreed, it looks horrible, like a mobile cafe or a British Rail crew carrier.

kr79:

The windscreen looks the right height, but there is minimal clearance above the tyres. I reckon it’s been “lowered”- axles on the bumpstops, if there are any. Smooth roads only, driver, and no following the combine harvesters into the fields! It does look smart though, apart from those oversize pipes- when did this silly trend start?

Operated in South Africa, but this Yank Oshkosh looks the business!

IMG_0005.jpg

[zb]
anorak:

JLS Driver SOS:

The engine must be reliable, because there is no way that cab tilts, unless there is a tipper ram between the exhaust stacks. Maybe the shed on the back of it is a workshop, complete with gantry crane. Agreed, it looks horrible, like a mobile cafe or a British Rail crew carrier.

kr79:

The windscreen looks the right height, but there is minimal clearance above the tyres. I reckon it’s been “lowered”- axles on the bumpstops, if there are any. Smooth roads only, driver, and no following the combine harvesters into the fields! It does look smart though, apart from those oversize pipes- when did this silly trend start?

Hi,
The black kenworth with the large cab,probably tilts in the usual way.i have seen many of these huge cabovers whilst on holiday in the usa.the sleeper is mounted on air bags and the cab will tilt for maintenance,seperatley to the fixed sleeper.it may look a little odd to us,though remember this is america where distances are vast and drivers can and do live in the truck.several years ago (early90’s) renault tried to market the then new magnum in north america,they took the truck to a few USA truck stops to gauge drivers reaction,most of the us drivers asked the same question,where is the rest of it?:wink: at the same time all of us in Europe where amazed at this new revolutionary huge euro tractor.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
As with this one you mean, you can clearly see the gap between cab & sleeper, with the exhaust side pipes running along the fuel-tanks!
Regards Chris

adr:
Hi Andrew,
As with this one you mean, you can clearly see the gap between cab & sleeper, with the exhaust side pipes running along the fuel-tanks!
Regards Chris

That’s better- it looks like a proper “factory” job, using the sleeper off a conventional. The black one further up appears to be “all-in-one.”

Why do lots of them have the fifth wheel so far back, with a great big empty space between cab and trailer,even with sleeper cabs?

emmerson2:
Why do lots of them have the fifth wheel so far back, with a great big empty space between cab and trailer,even with sleeper cabs?

Didn’t some states have a rule about spreading the weight of the vehicle over more road, possibly for the sake of bridges? Other than that, it’s a good way of burning more fuel, as a result of increased wind resistance.

adr:
Hi Andrew,
Regards Chris

hi chris,
spot on as usual mate.with regard to the gap between the tractor and trailer,i think? that’s purely because they like it to look that way :laughing: i know it seems weird to us europeans,though remember fuel isn’t anywhere near the price we pay.to me,that black kw must :exclamation: have a tilt cab.i would be astonished if it didn’t :open_mouth: newmercman would be the one to advise us all far better than i can :laughing:
regards andrew.

hi all,
i know that alot of euro truck anoraks vomit when they see some yank iron,though you have to admit they do have a presence :sunglasses: .this mack was loading beams in costains for the section of m4 at the bottom of sarn bank.