A1 Compass Cafe

Does any of the Guys out there remember the old Compass Cafe on the A1, at nights It used to be the change over place for both BRS and NMU(1953)Ltd for traffic going from London to the North NMU used to share a old cabin which belonged to BRS as the rest stop. any Info much appreciated.

Thanks

NMU

Well I can remember the old Compass Cafe, the first time I was in there was 1960, I dont recall any of what you are saying about NMU, But I do recall their motors from other places. starting from 1957. I used to call at the Compass every time I went to London, the grub was decent & the staff were very pleasant. I recall seeing a film on TV. & Some of the scenes were filmed their, in fact a couple of Jacky Snees 4 wheelers were on the lorry park during one of the shots, one of the drivers was called either Freddie or Frankie Hennry, The last time I was down there was 1998, The whole place had changed I used to deliver to Bourne, the new so called truck stop at Colsterworth was a bit of a rough place then , but of course it must have improved by now. Regards Larry

Thanks Larry.

There used to be a old green cabin off to one side of the car park which BRS opened every night for their drivers there was a long table down the middle where the drivers could drink and eat (brought there own), BRS allowed NMU to use the cabin also for there drivers, It goes back to the old Perivale days! I guess those were the days of gentlemen’s agreement, would It work today? I remember waiting there a couple of times at the change over whilst waiting for Rowntree/ NMU lorries to turn up from York! the things young boys did with there fathers who were long distance drivers I grew up In the left seat of Many NMU lorries , by the time I joined Rowntree’s as a driver those days had sadly gone.

Again Thanks.

John NMU

Remind me where was the Compass exactly.

Ben.

Thanks

The Compass is on the old A1. South of Grantham at the A151 turn off for Bourne, There is as far as I know a Truck Stop behind where the original Compass cafe stood, Regards Larry.

Thanks Larry yes just outside Coltersworth on the A1 I think on top of the hill, I think It was near the old Bloodhound camp? not sure on this

NMU

Thanks Larry i remember it now.

Ben.

No problem Ben

Hi All.

Was in the café that is in the lorry park behind where the old Compass used to be and was talking to one of the women serving about the Compass and she used to work there until it closed.

It was a great café for food. Was hitching back from Nottingham late one night and got a ride to the Compass around 1am with a BRS trunker
who arranged a lift onward for me with another of there drivers.

Balloonie

I used to do a changeover there with a bloke from Durham, we swapped lorries as they were rigids. One was a 4pot D series, the other an ex roadsweeper D series D1310, it had 1200 tyres on it, but would still only just about do 50mph flat out.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

When I was int RAF in Norfolk 1960-63 I got a lift from King’s Lynn to Spalding one night and another in a Geest wagon,driver was going to Stoke and Manchester I think.He went via the A151 through Bourne to the A1 at Colsterworth as he liked the Compass,usual route was the A52.He dropped me in Derby and I walked to the old Olympia Café ont A61 and soon got a lift to Sheffield in a BRS trunker,that Olympia was open 24 hours,full of wagons from Sheffield and Rotherham on steel haulage. Happy days.