Fearings of Burnley

hiya,
Just wondering does anybody have any pictures or information of the firm Fearing’s they had their yard in Lebanon st Burnley when I first worked there in 1957 they were still there in 1964 when I went back there for a short spell but they then moved out to Accrington rd Burnley, they had
quite a large mixed fleet in my times there, and only ever having driven wag and drags until I started there got the chance to learn myself how to drive artics, thanks Mr Hall.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Just wondering does anybody have any pictures or information of the firm Fearing’s they had their yard in Lebanon st Burnley when I first worked there in 1957 they were still there in 1964 when I went back there for a short spell but they then moved out to Accrington rd Burnley, they had
quite a large mixed fleet in my times there, and only ever having driven wag and drags until I started there got the chance to learn myself how to drive artics, thanks Mr Hall.

hiya,
Think I better take this one off I’m beginning to think this firm never existed, must have dreamn’t I worked there but it was 1957.

Harry,

A friend of mine has lots of local truck photos, Feather and Kent, Tillotsons, etc.

I will ask him when he comes back off his hols.

harry_gill:

harry_gill:
hiya,

hiya,
Think I better take this one off I’m beginning to think this firm never existed, must have dreamn’t I worked there but it was 1957.

Bloody hell Harry, I know we’re old but that’s a bit impatient isn’t it? Giving up after 2 days :open_mouth:

Or have I misread it and you posted on the 31st of Jan last year? :confused: :blush: :laughing:

Hope you get the info you’re looking for though I know some of the many firms I’ve worked for over the years draw a blank in TN memories. :frowning:

Hi Harry
I remember Fearings from over Burnley way.In 1970 I was working as a mechanic for a tipper company in manchester called John Beisty and I remember them letting me use a corner of there yard one day to replace a stub axle on a Reiver that had broken down just outside there gates with a ceased wheel bearing,they even pulled the wagon into the yard for us and let us leave it overnight and then we went across the following day to do the repair.The company itself started around 1954 and was dissolved in 2002.I may be wrong but were’nt the colours green.

Stanfield:
Hi Harry
I remember Fearings from over Burnley way.In 1970 I was working as a mechanic for a tipper company in manchester called John Beisty and I remember them letting me use a corner of there yard one day to replace a stub axle on a Reiver that had broken down just outside there gates with a ceased wheel bearing,they even pulled the wagon into the yard for us and let us leave it overnight and then we went across the following day to do the repair.The company itself started around 1954 and was dissolved in 2002.I may be wrong but were’nt the colours green.

hiya,
Thanks for that Stansfield, the colours were green with maroon on the wings and signwritten in white, I noticed at the time I was there the “A” licence on the motor I was driving was issued to a T Split, I did think that they would have been going before 1954 it was 1957 when I first worked there and they seemed well established by that time, you surprised me there, it would have been Albert the boss fitter in those days who assisted you with parking your motor overnight he would do anything to help anybody and a good lad at the job. at the time I was there i think the workshops/yard had been a bus garage in a previous life had a drive around that way a couple of months back looks like aged people’s housing that is built on there now, didn’t know whereabouts of the Accrington road depot, one of their vehicles is featured on the Northwest Trucks site it’s a Leyland wrecker “the happy ■■■■■■” but that’s the only pic Iv’e seen, can’t remember any drivers now but they were a smashing group of lads.

Hi Harry,
A customer of ours at the garage used to drive for Jack Bradley’s of Accrington.
He is from over that way and has photos of Bradley’s lorries. Just maybe he’ll have
a photo or two of Fearnleys, but definately some memories!
Neil.

Sorry, Fearings!!!
Neil

Hi Harry i remember Fearings ,that was the first time i saw the prototype of a tachograph bolted to the back of the cab,i think it was in Rowntrees in York and it was a green truck.
At a later time i went to Burnley to try and get a job at Fearings but as i lived nine miles away was told it was too far away probably did me a favor take care. :laughing: :laughing:

Papa Numpty:
Hi Harry i remember Fearings ,that was the first time i saw the prototype of a tachograph bolted to the back of the cab,i think it was in Rowntrees in York and it was a green truck.
At a later time i went to Burnley to try and get a job at Fearings but as i lived nine miles away was told it was too far away probably did me a favor take care. :laughing: :laughing:

hiya,
Wasn’t a bad outfit to work for P N paid the rate the only problem was the ex’s they scrutinised your ex’s sheet and parking tickets with a fine tooth comb once got a broken accelerator pedal fixed by the expert alloy welders at Rolls Royce aero engines Scotland and claimed a fiver for my trouble I did give the welder a drink for his help and did the mechanicing myself, the guvnor went bonkers said I shouldn’t have spent his money without getting his say so first, he did give me the fiver (nearly a weeks wage) in 1957 but I assured him the next time I had problems the motor would stay where it was until he got somebody to turn out and fix it, that changed his tune a bit, and only after the fitter had checked that the pedal had been removed/repaired/replaced and was O K did he relent and put his hand in his pocket, tight sod, I myself lived quite a distance from Burnley in those days but had an old motor bike and there was no motors at home in those days, and I did get to teach myself artic driving being a very young army taught wag and drag driver but rubbish at Roping and sheeting in those halcyon days, you soon learned though.

Yes Harry I remember Fearings , the often came on the the Quayside looking for return traffic, some of the drivers wore clogs in those good old days, also they seemed to enjoy fried spam in Gordie Dunns Cafe on the corner of Broad Chare. Regards Larry.

Just remembered one of the drivers had a twin steer Leyland,a big hefty bloke, looked like he could lift anything with one hand, Regards Larry. PS. I think the reg. was FCW ■■?.

Also Feather & Kent had an office on the Quayside at Newcastle, they used to have a wagon & drag a regular visitor to The Quay in those days 50/60s, , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Just remembered one of the drivers had a twin steer Leyland,a big hefty bloke, looked like he could lift anything with one hand, Regards Larry. PS. I think the reg. was FCW ■■?.

hiya,
Can’t recall any of the drivers Larry, but did do a couple of loads to Tyneside and both times got lumbered with waste paper from Jebbs, a bad job in that they only gave you bales for the sides of your trailer then they sent loose stuff to fill the middle then bales,then loose again until you got what was a decent load "for them"no weighing and always felt like you was over the knot, used to get my loads off a guy who used the St Lawrence cafe as his office, the rate was obviously OK because the guvnor never complained, happy days and as green as grass.

harry_gill:

Papa Numpty:

hiya,
Wasn’t a bad outfit to work for P N paid the rate the only problem was the ex’s they scrutinised your ex’s sheet and parking tickets with a fine tooth comb once got a broken accelerator pedal fixed by the expert alloy welders at Rolls Royce aero engines Scotland and claimed a fiver for my trouble I did give the welder a drink for his help and did the mechanicing myself, the guvnor went bonkers said I shouldn’t have spent his money without getting his say so first, he did give me the fiver (nearly a weeks wage) in 1957 but I assured him the next time I had problems the motor would stay where it was until he got somebody to turn out and fix it, that changed his tune a bit, and only after the fitter had checked that the pedal had been removed/repaired/replaced and was O K did he relent and put his hand in his pocket, tight sod, I myself lived quite a distance from Burnley in those days but had an old motor bike and there was no motors at home in those days, and I did get to teach myself artic driving being a very young army taught wag and drag driver but rubbish at Roping and sheeting in those halcyon days, you soon learned though.

hiya,
The Smiths clocks, quite a few firms used them as a guide to hours booked and hours worked but from my experience for every clock fitted, the driver, me included had a key and like the early tacho’s were easily fiddled, at one time i had a Bedford S type and the clock was fitted to the back of the cab with wing nuts so after you had got finished early when down the road you just stuck it in someone else’s motor for an hour or two so was earning while having a pint or two, just remembering to bolt it back in your own motor before starting work next day.

hiya,
Just had a look on the “Northwest” site and the only thing I could find “Fearing’s”
was their wrecker nicknamed “the happy ■■■■■■” wonder was it the remains of
old Octopus they ran pulling a drag on the tea job back in 1957.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Just had a look on the “Northwest” site and the only thing I could find “Fearing’s”
was their wrecker nicknamed “the happy ■■■■■■” wonder was it the remains of
old Octopus they ran pulling a drag on the tea job back in 1957.

hiya,
Just a refresher, just in case anyone remembers anything.
thanks harry, long retired.

Hi Harry,

I used to park at the Roma in Bury when I was on the Shell Stanlow to BP at Hull run. Fearings drivers would always pick us up and give us a lift home.
One lad eventually came to work for us and he told me he had acquired enough tea to last him a life time, know what I mean Harry?.
If I remember rightly their garage was somewhere between Brunshaw lane and Todmorden road, near Townley park.

Somebody mentioned Feather and Kent so I have posted photos of their lorries below.

Russell.

hiya,
Thanks Russell, Fearings depot was only a stones throw from “our house” on Eliza Street,
again only a stones throw from Turf Moor, I lived there for a year or two from about age
five to age eight, have tried to find out where the new depot was all I know they moved
to Accrington Road and the old place looks like old peoples bungalows have been built on
the site, not sure but was the old Olympia garage a former bus depot,■■ just looking at
the old Mammoth Major the registration plate would sit very nicely on the front of my car
By the way Russell how’s the good lady doing,■■ some improvement I hope.
thanks harry, long retired.

Harry,
Fearings last address was

Registered Office

304 ACCRINGTON ROAD
BURNLEY
LANCASHIRE
BB11 5EU

It is near the bottom of Cog Lane.

Two more Burnley firms you may remember.

Thanks for asking about my wife, she is very poorly and the consultant can do no more for her. We are plodding on (like and old Gardner) and she is keeping her spirit up. I have her home and we get out for rides in the car and the odd visit to friends.

Russell.