Old poole companies

any one been on for poole companies like w h geer, redland pipes, h j cutler, either of the eaton firms, aet, john weaver, wyvern cargo, and the deathnell to most work off the quay gbe, own account as well like coastal windows, marley tile, beacon hill bricks etc.

None of the above but I work for Bascombe transport.

hi has phil still got the bonnet, i should see him at the rha dinner in feb, are you going, he seems to take most of his blokes, does hecky indicate the heckford haulage family from dawkins road way, or perhaps a lad who was on for viridor through darren wrann agency p&w ?.

Hi. I used to work for GBE. As did my Dad, Hughie who is now working for Boscombe!!

blooming eck theres a gang of them, is there an uprising over verwood way or are they giving away free beer at the cross keys.

I often backloaded up to the north over a few years from Cutlers of Poole that was back in the 70,s mainly floor tiles from a company near there had a good relationship with them and nearly always got my 20 ton I was with D&D Transport Dundee at that time and had the south west and coast as my run …these were the days my friends!!!

hi backsplice in the mid 50s there would have been ivor scammell and graham orchard i think on the desks, and a lad they called david whos name was also graham who arranged the back loads for the cutler men, i see david quite often, i think graham went to curvin transport on the nuffield ind est, all tile manufacturing now gone, bath tile site now flats overlooking the sea, floor tile now mt next to the new poole lifting bridge. hamworthy engineering now all but gone as well.

an acute case of the ceised up fingers from rope and sheeting, should have been mid 70s not 50s im mid 50s, well and a little bit.

Slope:
Hi. I used to work for GBE. As did my Dad, Hughie who is now working for Boscombe!!

No he,s not Slope, he is working for Hambledon Haulage, well he was this morning !

kerbut:

Slope:

No he,s not Slope, he is working for Hambledon Haulage, well he was this morning !

That’s the one. I was close :laughing: And after yesterdays wind it’s probably been blown to the same area :wink:

hotel magnum:
hi has phil still got the bonnet, i should see him at the rha dinner in feb, are you going, he seems to take most of his blokes, does hecky indicate the heckford haulage family from dawkins road way, or perhaps a lad who was on for viridor through darren wrann agency p&w ?.

Yep, hes still got the T cab, was my truck til just before Xmas. Got a new one now. Didn’t know there was a Heckford haulage but yes, that is my surname. Quite a few around the area, was a big family at one time.
Yes I done a week for Darren back in the summer. On for Com. Rec. though. Do I know you? :slight_smile:

I used to do alot of freelancing for Wyvern Cargo. Can’t fault them. Very efficient and a really nice bunch in the office

probably not hecky, but if you get to go to the rha dinner i shall be there. the trucks in poole were in carters ave, just off of dawkins road, as the yard was quite small they had a unique way of parking trailers, the bottom ones had no headboard and were dropped down to the floor at the front and the next one reversed up on to it. i think they were maroon red in colour. long time ago now though.
hi derf not had much to do with wyvern other than knew some of the drivers when they were at cranbrook road in the old humber mc veigh yard, son in law does night trunk out of their new yard for fed ex.

Hotel Magnum … the name Ivor jumps at me that was the chap I dealt with always willing to get that backload …now and then we were able to backload one of Cutlers but not all the way down to Poole and as i usually left with anything up to 20 drops between Bristol and Southhampton these lads wanted one droppers to get home for the weekend I often used to backload Norton motor bikes from Andover assembly plant through Fluen,s transport Picket Piece Andover holy mackrel !!! that was over 30 years ago ■■?

A couple of other company’s come to mind ,Phill Horrage, Noel Bros and Southern Trucks , Colin Duffed

A couple more FCF Flowers Compton Furnell also Elliotts

Jim Chandler RIP ran a couple of Transcons pulling for ROBA in Europe two of my drivers John Pike and Pat Scorey both drove for him.

Some of John Pikes pics

new of phil horridge when he was next to cutlers, the less said about noels the better, not heard of southern trucks, heard of colin duffed but no nothing more, some euro men were merv the swerve (worked on his orange transcon) bernie dignan, phil wheeler, ken oak,bill (and his son) bateman, wobbly ware,black peter last i heard he was driving for nelson stanley on scrap but that was some years ago, and quite a lot that lost every thing because they thought there was money in trucks running off the quay. jim chandler unwittingly dropped me in the mire over a book but what the hell it was his anyway.

Colin Duffed died several years ago (20+) he owned Southern Trucks ,they were a Commercial garage but ran a couple of trucks, in fact Slopes father,s Transcon was parked at the rear of his works for several years when he bought a White, I think they were near the Speedway somewhere. Also there was Kenny Flower ,( No,s Pat )at Longham and Cecil (later )Mark at Thrush Road, Steve Rogers who was Eddie Rogers(late of Interoute) son who ran several trucks pulling for MAT and of course SFE the forerunner to GB Express. You can see below who I used to work for.I used to do traction for them ,but had several Blue Books they wanted, I sold to them and went to work for them as an employed driver

Phil Grant ran a truck on for Rawlings in Europe

I know its Wimborne not Poole ,but also Kelvin Holloway and also E.F. Phillips from Parkstone