Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

old 67:

pyewacket947v:

windrush:
Mystery truck is a Guy Vix-Ant, I thought it looked like the military Guy Ant’s sheet metalwork and I was correct for once! Introduced in 1941 for civillian operators, scroll down this link

historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/ … guyhistory

Another disappointing , if not downright failure, of Guy Motors. was the Wulfrunian bus.

Regards John.

I remember the Wulfrunians very well. We had the West Riding ones regularly on our school run in the mid-sixties. West Riding had a large part in the development of the ‘Wulf’, and were the major operator. Even when relatively new, they had overheating and leakage problems with the Cave-Brown-Cave cooling system (radiators upstairs). Perhaps because of the engine being hung out forward of the front axle, they often got stuck on snowy hills which a Guy Arab or Leyland PD2 would climb with no problem. “All you kids, get to the back of the bus and jump up and down if you want to get up this hill” was often the conductors’ cry. The ride was more akin to a boat then a bus, rolling and pitching to the point of sickness for some passengers. With hindsight, the designers put too many new ideas into the same vehicle at once. Air suspension, independent front suspension, disc brakes, C-B-C cooling system were all under-developed in this country at the time, and contributed to the unreliability of this novel bus. In later years, the front rows of seats upstairs were barriered off to try to keep weight off the front axle. Maybe Guy could have made a better bus if the innovations had been introduced over two or three “marks” of the Wulfrunian.