Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

I’ll bet there’s some on here that have seen this sign at Scotch Corner over the years.
I remember I was on trunk from Maltby winter 1979 and heading for a Penrith changeover. I was the last of two to change over there,the other four were changing over at Stannington,Morpeth. I had seen one of ours going south near Catterick but thought it was one of the east side changeover lads heading back to Maltby. The sign I’ve put on wasn’t showing at Scotch Corner so when I got to Bowes I found the road closed sign across the 66,and there was a hint of snow int air. Anyroad I turned round and used my two way radio to contact Maltby via Securicor network that I would be running late,having to use the A1 up to Newcastle and then the A69 over to Carlisle and down M6 to Penrith(There was no Newcastle by-pass via Team Valley in those days). I did this,not a trace of snow on the A69 and got to Penrith,with two Newbridge drivers waiting,so where was our other driver? Anyroad I changed over,had some snap and away home via M6/M61/Manchester and Woodhead,which was clear but with lying snow on the moors.
Next night I was told that the other driver,who was not well versed in the UK road network had turned round,gone back down A1 to Ferrybridge,over M62 and up M61/M6 to Penrith which I think you will agree was a long way round. :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
When I worked it out I reckoned it put an extra hour and half on my run,an hour up to Newcastle and half an hour Carlisle- Penrith,the mileage between Newcastle and Carlisle roughly the same as Scotch Corner - Penrith I would imagine? I had a Sed Atki 400 with 240 Gardner VWA 427S at that time and it went well… :laughing:

Scotch_Corner_5_-Coppermine-_1696.jpg