Crows Transport Gateshead

Has anyone any information and photographs etc about Crows ? .

shugg:

A read of this you may find Crowbar himself

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=60149

Crowbar is the man he will be able to tell us everything about Crows Transport & their drivers. Regards Larry.

shugg:

Hi shugg l have plenty information but very few photo . what do you want to know Regards crowbar :question: :laughing:

Nice to hear from you , my first sightings of Crows Transport was about 1959 / 1960 as a spotty faced youth of 16 I traveled into Edinburgh serving my apprenticeship as a mechanic with the E R F dealer in the city . Most mornings Crows Dennis ridgid 4 wheelers were parked in laybye"s on the A8 on the west side of the city loaded nomally with a single ships winch presuably for the Clyde shipyards . I presume drivers left Gateshead very early and were just having a little snooze ■■? before traveling on to the Glasgow area . I almost sure Crows had an office down near the river Clyde area of the city . Did Crow"s sell out to another haulier ? etc ,etc .etc , Many many thanks for the contact , have a very christmas ,all the best Shugg.

hi all,
if i am thinking of the same firm? then back in 2000 on the north of england road run,there was a restored foden and four in line trailer in red with gold lettering from crows transport from gateshead,i have a photo of it.
regards andrew.

crowbar:

shugg:

Hi shugg l have plenty information but very few photo . what do you want to know Regards crowbar :question: :laughing:

Ralph somewhere I have seen a picture of several Crows wagons , im sure it was a newspaper they were in, I just cant recall who showed it to me,I will have to relax my brain & go back in time & concentrate on it, Regards Larry.

Hi Yes you would see them having left Gateshead around midnight, but more likey they would have had two Clake Chapman winches on ,l have attached [l hope] aphoto of some of the fleet in 1955, the Maudsley as you will notice is loaded with two winches. We had an office on the Broomelaw, and then moved to Troyglen st, we sold out to Burnholme and Forder total disaster all the best to you for the new year Regards crowbar

shugg:
Nice to hear from you , my first sightings of Crows Transport was about 1959 / 1960 as a spotty faced youth of 16 I traveled into Edinburgh serving my apprenticeship as a mechanic with the E R F dealer in the city . Most mornings Crows Dennis ridgid 4 wheelers were parked in laybye"s on the A8 on the west side of the city loaded nomally with a single ships winch presuably for the Clyde shipyards . I presume drivers left Gateshead very early and were just having a little snooze ■■? before traveling on to the Glasgow area . I almost sure Crows had an office down near the river Clyde area of the city . Did Crow"s sell out to another haulier ? etc ,etc .etc , Many many thanks for the contact , have a very christmas ,all the best Shugg.

pete 359:
hi all,
if i am thinking of the same firm? then back in 2000 on the north of england road run,there was a restored foden and four in line trailer in red with gold lettering from crows transport from gateshead,i have a photo of it.
regards andrew.

Hi Here is a picture of the wagon in question. Regards crowbar.

Well now thats what I call a proper wagon the Famous Foden 2 stroke, I had the pleasure of talking this motor into the arena at Ottreburn classic vehicle show a couple of times, I would of like nothing better than loaded it & gone off down the road with it. music to ones ears that sound of the engine cracking stuff, Thanks Ralph for giving me that pleasure, Regards Larry.

I drove that motor for crowbar on the North of England run one year, If I remember correctly Ralph, you were going to a “do”
on the Saturday night so I took the motor from Shap to Carlisle. That was the only time I ever used a Foden 12 speed !!
It was an interesting experience to say the least. :unamused: Ps that 2stroke has an awesome sound . regards Kev.

hI kevmac47 Yes your correct a lot of years ago now about 1995. Hope to get to the do , what times kick off Regards crowbar

kevmac47:
I drove that motor for crowbar on the North of England run one year, If I remember correctly Ralph, you were going to a “do”
on the Saturday night so I took the motor from Shap to Carlisle. That was the only time I ever used a Foden 12 speed !!
It was an interesting experience to say the least. :unamused: Ps that 2stroke has an awesome sound . regards Kev.

Ralph, I must be getting old!! I didn,t think it was as far back as that. I’ve got a couple of shots of that unit somewhere I will look for them when
this “bushmills haze” is a bit less dominant :unamused: . The get together starts around 1430 on wednesday, but anytime after that is ok. Hope you can
make it it will be good to catch up. Is Isobel coming to act as your driver? best regards Kev.

kevmac47:
Ralph, I must be getting old!! I didn,t think it was as far back as that. I’ve got a couple of shots of that unit somewhere I will look for them when
this “bushmills haze” is a bit less dominant :unamused: . The get together starts around 1430 on wednesday, but anytime after that is ok. Hope you can
make it it will be good to catch up. Is Isobel coming to act as your driver? best regards Kev.

Kevin Hope to see you Wednesday , no Isabelle is not coming l am traveling by BUS. All the best for next year Regards crowbar

Bring your toolbox Ralph, some of those old bangers we’ll be talking about are bound to break down.
No I’m not talking about Harry Gill or even Geordie Walton. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
regards kev.

A couple of AEC Mercuries MCN517.

Ralph behind the wheel at Otterburn Show.

Ralph let me behind the wheel of this fantanstic bit of gear at Otterburn show some years ago, I could have very niceley have loaded it & gone off down to London with it, a loveley thing to drive Eh, keep well to the left lads Larry,s coming past. Regards Larry.

This is my grandson Richard Dunbar, has a lot of interest in classic stuff such as this Foden, he must take after his old Grandad. Regards Larry.

i’ve got a little tale from memory,it was 1967,me and my dad hitched from Corby,and i remember(i’m sure)being in the cafe at Markham Moor,we got a lift to Gateshead off a Crows driver,and i’m sure it was in a Bedford TK artic,the other thing i remember is the fog it was a real "pea souper"we could’nt see a thing,
you would have thought a trip like that would have put me off wanting to be a driver,but you never know that might have been night i knew what i wanted to do with my life…f*****g hell wish it had been a Doctor or a Brain surgeon who’ed picked us up might’ve been saved and ended up with a proper job.
Who am i kidding,in my thirtyeth year now with a hgv licence(young pup eh!)and i would’nt swap the first 15 years for anything,now its nothing but a grind.
If any ex Crows driver remembers picking up a man and a boy in 1967 its all your fault :laughing: :laughing: