J&R Adams Newcastle

Allways will have the greatest respect and a big softspot for what must be one of the few remaining real !!! general haulage companie"s .

shugg:
Allways will have the greatest respect and a big softspot for what must be one of the few remaining real !!! general haulage companie"s .

Im certain Larry Dunbar will have something to add to this post. I know his son drives for “Jakey” and i’m sure some pictures will be
forthcoming. If you scroll back through the N E thread you will find some comments and pictures of “Jakeys” regards Kevmac47

kevmac47:

shugg:

Im certain Larry Dunbar will have something to add to this post. I know his son drives for “Jakey” and i’m sure some pictures will be
forthcoming. If you scroll back through the N E thread you will find some comments and pictures of “Jakeys” regards Kevmac47

Jakeys loved delivering fuel there Vic

wtn%20at%20lodge%20SM.jpg
f712_jcn.jpg

Well I first got to know the Adams,s in 1957, they were rivals to Baxters on the Quayside, they were both involved with the Bacon haulage that was landed from Denmark, at 17 Shed & 9 Shed, Old Jimmy used to come down the Quay along with young Jimmy & Gordie Thomas, & load their wagons for Lancashire, Baxters lads allways worked along side Adams,s as they did with us, Young Jonny Baxter didnt like it but he never ever said anything to us , but Billy Shore the fitter used to tell us what his remarks were. It was hard graft in those days but at Baxters we could earn £19 19 shillings a week , mind you that was for 72 hrs. Jakeys men were on a similar sytem I believe trip money etc. Allthough there was friction between Jakey & Baxters we used to load back from Manchester off Harry Cullins in Todd Street who was manager of Jakeys office, & of course in later years Nigel & myself gotlots of work from Adams,s in fact they could back load us from anyware, & were also good payers. Its nice to see a family firm still going in these difficult times, Regards Larry.

Aye - I remember when I was little riding over the railway bridge at the Drum Ind Est on me bike looking down into Millbay Vehicle Sales which is now DAF trucks and seeing about 6 or 7 brand new Crusaders all just been painted - and then last year I had to go into Adams’s yard to pick a machine up and there was a wagon in the way so I had to go into the office and ask for the wagon to be moved. A bloke with hair like a busted mattress came to move it - as we were walking down the stairs I said ‘Rough nite last nite?!’ he called me a cheeky buggar - I later learned it was James Adams himself! As I got the machine loaded and on my way out of his yard, he come across the yard and stopped me and said ‘Give me a ring the next time you come in and I’ll make sure I’ve had a haircut, a shave and a suit on!’ Very dry! But come across as a nice bloke. Over the years Adams’s wagons have been a credit to his drivers (proper drivers!).
Regards, Wingnut

Haha that would be James adams’s brother john adams with the blond hair . I served my time in the garage they were spot on to work for .

I seem to remember something about when the Leyland 6x2 Tractors were bought that they very quickly had problems and listening to the drivers in Normans Cafe they were not too impressed with them, word was they were sent back, maybe someone can confirm this. Could have been why ERF’s were favoured after that. Franky.

Well, they were still running some of them in the 1999, into 2000, The late Jackie Rutherford had one & Craggsey [Elvis] Had one & ran it into the ground, the engine was snapped up before it was cold when they decided to park it up plus the remainder of it was sold off very quickley I as recall. We ran Leylands for a long time, & had no complaints about them whatsoever, Im told that Jakey was offered a cracking deal from ERF,s, which no doubt suited them, Regards Larry.

Getting back to Jakeys Road Trains, Craggsey [Elvis] Told me once when we were down in S/Wales, he could run down tip & load with tin plate from Ebbw Vale & back on a full tank, Now that has got to be good, I know they did have an extra belly tank, but I think that would work out at 9/10.MPG, & I do know that Jakey was very fuel minded for the best return in MPG. & NO DOUBT THEY ARE THEY SAME TODAY, with the high price of derv, Regards Larry… J R Adams the last Family owned N/E Hauliers, some of their drivers had 40 years service in, well what dose that tell you.? Eh great people to work for, Regards Larry

1 Like

hi all,
cool thread.i have always admired j.r. adams fleet.i caught these two back loading parts of a scrap baler in south wales earlier this year :sunglasses: .

What make of trucks are they currently running ? etc .

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well, they were still running some of them in the 1999, into 2000, The late Jackie Rutherford had one & Craggsey [Elvis] Had one & ran it into the ground, the engine was snapped up before it was cold when they decided to park it up plus the remainder of it was sold off very quickley I as recall. We ran Leylands for a long time, & had no complaints about them whatsoever, Im told that Jakey was offered a cracking deal from ERF,s, which no doubt suited them, Regards Larry.

Lawence do you know my dad Geordie Horne? used to work with Jakie Rutherford at Hannahs
Regards Rob

I dont think I ever met your Dad, The drivers I new , Billy Hodgson, Jackie Ingram, & of course Shean himself. Regards Larry.

Here’s a Crusader moved over from another thread, they must have paid for themselves over the years they were run.
Franky.

Removed at the request of Retriever. :cry:

Rob h:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawence do you know my dad Geordie Horne? used to work with Jakie Rutherford at Hannahs
Regards Rob

Yes l know your dad Geordie Horne. Last time l seen him was at Gretna about 14 months ago, tell him crowbar was asking after him is he still on for Duncan Adams.
I also knew Jackie Rutherford. All great lads to work with at Crow’s . Good old days Regards crowbar

Rob h:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Regards Rob

Rob, Lots of people on this thread know your dad and his brothers Kit and Harry, Is Geordie still working for “Drunken Adams”
in Tyne Dock? I know he is well over retiring age and was still roping and sheeting loads the last I heard. Please try to get him
to the “do” on the 28th at N/cle Labour Club he will really enjoy himself!! Lots of his old pals will be there Jimmy Hill, Jimmy
Russell, Ralph Crow, Geordie Foster, me (although I am still a mere child :blush: :blush: :blush: ). Anyone with the slightest
attachment to this thread come along, bring your Dad bring your bride, bring your granny, :smiley: :smiley: You will have a great time.
regards Kevmac47. Ps Bring your wellies and a bale of straw to soak up the diesel, you will need them :smiley: :imp: :imp: :imp:

crowbar:

Rob h:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Regards Rob

Yes l know your dad Geordie Horne. Last time l seen him was at Gretna about 14 months ago, tell him crowbar was asking after him is he still on for Duncan Adams.
I also knew Jackie Rutherford. All great lads to work with at Crow’s . Good old days Regards crowbar

Yeah Crowbar he’s still on for Adams,i have very fond memories of him working at Crows, used to go with him when ever i was off school great times
Regards Rob