J Pass & Son Chesterfield

Anybody have any memories of J Pass & Son Chesterfield.I worked for them from 1973 to just before they went into liquidation in the late 80’s.We worked out of most places in Chesterfield including Deema Glass,Glass Bulbs,Chesterfield Cylinders,Robert Hyde Castings to name but a few.I have a couple of photos which I’ll see if I can upload if anybodys interested.My first truck was a Leyland Badger and my last was a V10 Merc adorned with my CB handle Hornblower in the windscreen.

I remember J Pass and Son,I did my second ADR course at their place on Fan Road in Staveley and the company I worked for had their servicing done there as well.This a photo my mate took in Pass’ garage sometime in the 90s.I don’t have any photos of their fleet though.

Seeing Bloomers reminds me thats another company gone by the wayside.I believe after next year, the last plant operating at Staveley is going to Runcorn.

Hello knightblow.Yes J Pass red lorries all over the place.Did their yard or one of them use to be off Station Road Brimington.All houses now. One of the places I use to see them loading was the brick plant in Wimpeys at Stoney Middleton.You have just levered some more memories out from the depth’s.Lets hope it raises some photo’s.Regards Mike.

The enemy of old age. Gravity.

Yes, I remember J. Pass and used them when I was at Mothers Pride Chesterfield in the late '70s. We got very busy on inter-company trunking after the demise of Wonderloaf. One Friday night a driver called in sick so I 'phoned J. Pass to see if they could provide a unit and driver at very short notice to do a Liverpool trunk with our trailer. They did, and I used them on a daily basis for some time afterwards. They were always very helpful and did a very good job for me. It was sad to see a company like them go out of business.

thelongdrag:
Hello knightblow.Yes J Pass red lorries all over the place.Did their yard or one of them use to be off Station Road Brimington.All houses now. One of the places I use to see them loading was the brick plant in Wimpeys at Stoney Middleton.You have just levered some more memories out from the depth’s.Lets hope it raises some photo’s.Regards Mike.

Hi Mike,you’re spot on.I still live just up from where the yard used to be.Alot of the old drivers still keep in touch and I’m going to see if they have any photos tucked away.

The enemy of old age. Gravity.

knightblow:
Seeing Bloomers reminds me thats another company gone by the wayside.I believe after next year, the last plant operating at Staveley is going to Runcorn.

so far as I know bloomers still operating though only this erf ect on the road from near renishaw–alan

gingerfold:
Yes, I remember J. Pass and used them when I was at Mothers Pride Chesterfield in the late '70s. We got very busy on inter-company trunking after the demise of Wonderloaf. One Friday night a driver called in sick so I 'phoned J. Pass to see if they could provide a unit and driver at very short notice to do a Liverpool trunk with our trailer. They did, and I used them on a daily basis for some time afterwards. They were always very helpful and did a very good job for me. It was sad to see a company like them go out of business.

I remember working out of the Pride myself on a few occasions.North Wales,where they thought I had nicked 1100 loaves until they realised they were stored underneath the trailer !!!

revman:

knightblow:

so far as I know bloomers still operating though only this erf ect on the road from near renishaw–alan

Glad to here it,must keep my eyes peeled,camera at the ready.Jim

ye would love a decent pic of this n/bound A1 elkesley

Not a Picture but a bit of history in our world. Mike.

Some of the fleet lined up at the Fan Road Depot, Staveley ready to be auctioned.

This picture was taken just a few days prior to the auction.

I have some more images if anybody is interested in them including the depot at Brimington somewhere

pass one.JPG

Another image for you.

pass two.JPG

any other images would be great

The yard at Fan Road prior to the trucks & trailers being lined up for the auction on Saturday 27th January 1990.

pass three.JPG

Auction Catalogue

pass five.JPG

General view in the yard when the family ran a repair business after the haulage business ceased.

pass four.JPG

8 loads of pipes to Blackpool

Nice load out of Bolehill Quarry

J Pass & Son13.jpg