Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Carl Williams:
“DEANB”

20mph was fast compared to some motors in a crawler lane i have seen ! :laughing: :laughing: That was a hell of a difference in fuel consumpion
between the Guy & Lynx !! :open_mouth: What engine was in the Lynx,can you remember ?

We had three new supplied by Mann-Eggerton Norwich, as my dad had met their Managing director at on a business trip & they gave us excellent discount & I picked each of them up & drove them back to Spennymoor over about 4-5 months. We had such high hopes as they were modern for their day 28 to GVW with the 500 fixed head engines which was Leyland’s latest development. A total failure. They also fitted it into the Atlantean double decker busses. Our workshops got proficient in fitting new replacement engines under warrantee and Newcastle Corporation who had bought over 200 Atlantean were having difficulty keeping up with their bus services and offered us a contract to fit 1 new engine per week as few had workshops high enough to get the double deckers in. We refused as we were kept busy with our own.

We had 5 AEC Mercuries (2 of them rigids) & 2 Leyland Super Comet Tractor units which were excellent (the AEC’s in particular produced excellent fuel consumption) but Leyland saw these two models in competition to their newly designed Lynx & stopped production to concentrate on the Lynx & take away the alternatives to help maximise the sales. The last 8 tractor units were all ERF with Gardner engine and 1 DAf. Although expensive the ERFs were wonderful machines

Good stuff Carl. Cant believe those engines were that bad ! That bus company must have been pulling there hair out if they were replacing
at least one engine per week. :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: That must have done some damage to Leyland’s reputation and sales !

Heres another Guy Otter advert from 1955.