Car transporter companys old and new

Love this new topic thats been started , I allways wished I could of drove a transporter but never got the chance.
My favourite livery was MCD , why did they go for the cruiser rather than the Roadtrain ? what do these new transporters handle like on the roundabouts ?

heres some of mine from a few years back

If you could find a picture of 44A it would make my day. He was our schoolboy local hero

The driver was a bloke from Newport called Albert Hurd who raced at Aycliffe every week although he ended up winning with a Ford 105E Anglia :stuck_out_tongue:

JAKEY:
Love this new topic thats been started , I allways wished I could of drove a transporter but never got the chance.
My favourite livery was MCD , why did they go for the cruiser rather than the Roadtrain ? what do these new transporters handle like on the roundabouts ?

Hi Jakey welcome to the site
Historically MCD used to go for the lower powered units I guess it was because of the initial purchase cost, which in the long run is possibly not the cheapest option over the life of the vehicle. During the 60s they were buying Albions with 370 engines when likes of Lathams & Glendinnings were going for the larger engined vehicles such as Gardner 180s and Leyland 600s. On paper these Albions would probably be rated at 20tons which was ample for the job weight wise but pulling a transporter is hard work and the larger engines 26- 32 tons managed so much easier.
The new transporters are ok once you get used to the roll and the sight of the car hanging over the front, they can be a bit daunting to start with.

Thankyou Transporter man , Mcd did have a lovely livery and I use to see them at Cowley ( Rover) , who are you in for ? , My cousin runs abroad for a company based at Cricklade , hell fire they have to go some for there money , I think they have to bend some rules which is so wrong with legitmate operators like my self having to quote for jobs and loosing because other operators are running bent .

All these were taken in 1990 on Milton Park, Didcot, Oxon when Toleman’s had a depot there!
Regards Chris

Nice shots Chris , I recall transporters parking at Milton .

transporter man:

iangam:
Always be prepared to modify,

Hi iangam
Don’t think a lot of posters will realize the significance of this photo

am i right in thinking the significance in the photo is -transporter engineering,- seeing as how the mcd wagons are not hoyners but T.E.maybe the start of the 12+.

Hello Glenny, great stuff, Can you remember a firm from Hexham in the 50/60s, red 4 wh. BMCs, they used to run long distance, I remember a couple of thier drivers John Robson, Geo Calvert both Hexham lads ? Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hello Glenny, great stuff, Can you remember a firm from Hexham in the 50/60s, red 4 wh. BMCs, they used to run long distance, I remember a couple of thier drivers John Robson, Geo Calvert both Hexham lads ? Regards Larry

Hi Larry I dont think Glennys old enough to remember them it was Dougie Robson in Hexham not sure about BMCs. The artic was a Commer TS3s, and he certainly had Tasker Burtonwood Trailer he must have been the original operator in the North East. Went to his house a few times, he lived in Hexham just off the A68. We used to Pick up Fiats from Dover and Alfas from Folkstone for him. I reckon he operated from about 58 to about 61.
There was another operator from Crook who ran through the 60’s and that was Jim Alderson he ran 2 at one time in the colours of Motor Deliveries the Austin dealer from Darlington they pulled out of Lomgbridge. He had 2 both BMC Carrimores one MK2 trailer and one Mk4 which was one of the first trailers out of the new Carrimore Factory Stanley. His son Robin drove one of the vehicles, I can remember the other driver parked up at that little cafe at the top of Abberford one night and slept in a car on the top deck, he got up one night for a call of nature and fell off breaking both legs.

glenny54:

transporter man:

iangam:

Hi iangam

am i right in thinking the significance in the photo is -transporter engineering,- seeing as how the mcd wagons are not hoyners but T.E.maybe the start of the 12+.

The trailer is a Hoynor 9 car semi cut behind the swan neck and converted to draw-bar same as the one you had at Glendinnings.

hi adr ,if you parked near oxford you’ll know phill(gonzo)holden,i work with him at autologishits out of washington.keeps telling me about the thousands of pounds you lot used to earn at tolmans,mind you that is when it was a good job,not like now,i keep hearing about what can be earned on general haulage these days.wonder why we bother nowadays.

transporter man:

glenny54:

transporter man:

iangam:

Hi iangam

The trailer is a Hoynor 9 car semi cut behind the swan neck and converted to draw-bar same as the one you had at Glendinnings.

who designed the t.e. 12 plus,if anybody knows it’ll be you transporter man.

glenny54:

transporter man:

glenny54:

transporter man:

iangam:

Hi iangam

who designed the t.e. 12 plus,if anybody knows it’ll be you transporter man.

I should have looked closer and spotted the MCD pics were in fact TE trailers, I was always led to believe that MCD had a hand in the 12 plus so that they could get 13 corsa’s on.

This may sound complicated but the original Plus 12 as we know it was a originally a Plus 11 Mk1 because it was basically an 11 car transporter, it was only during loading trials at MCD with the aid of a couple of old skids under the scissor deck area it was promoted to a Plus 12. This is the reason that when the first Plus 11 as we know today was introduced in 2001 was tagged Plus 11 Mk2. The designer was a guy called Reg Smith who was ex Hoynor ( & possibly Marshals) he also had a lot of imput into the Plus 11 and worked part time with Transporter up to 2010.

I would like to add a contribution to this transporter thread, some I have previously posted on other threads,
oiltreader.

1965 transporter.jpg

Progressive Oxford 1962.jpg

Load of Spitfires bound for Honeybourne Airfield hangars. Canley, Progressive and Furness and Parker were all involved in ferrying Triumphs from Coventry to Honeybourne, probably around 1962/63.
oiltreader

Canley Car Delivery.jpg

transporter man:
This may sound complicated but the original Plus 12 as we know it was a originally a Plus 11 Mk1 because it was basically an 11 car transporter, it was only during loading trials at MCD with the aid of a couple of old skids under the scissor deck area it was promoted to a Plus 12. This is the reason that when the first Plus 11 as we know today was introduced in 2001 was tagged Plus 11 Mk2. The designer was a guy called Reg Smith who was ex Hoynor ( & possibly Marshals) he also had a lot of imput into the Plus 11 and worked part time with Transporter up to 2010.

Whilst I don’t know any different I do have in my yard plus 11 mk 1’s and mk 2’s, which differ on car 3 and 6.

A couple of oldies from Longbridge.
oiltreader

Longbridge%20Transporter069.jpg

MVC had quite a lot of motors, with depots at Luton, Birmingham and London Rd Headington Oxford, they ran a lot to Scotland and the cab doors had the motif of a thistle and rose with “The Tartan Rose” lettered on.
oiltreader.

Like I say I have posted these before but want to give this thread a boost.

MVC%20%20%20072.jpg