volvo f88

bowser:

hayday:

OzzyHugh:
Here’s what a well kept F88 looked like in 1973

I’d drive that today, what a lovely motor! I fell in love with the Volvo’s when, as a 16 year old apprentice (never having properly even driven a car before - I had a Honda 50 moped) was an apprentice at Ferrymasters and was asked to bring an F86 tractor (I think it was CGV646T) into the paintshop as it had been sold and the buyer wanted the flags and stuff removing from the cab. It was a bit rusty and tired but I was mesmarised! I didn’t know where or what the handbrake was, range change lever - what did that do etc and I aptly drove it into the garage in 8th gear, scattering the idle sods lurking around the coffee machine. Fantastic memories and motors and I knew then I’d have to throw my spanners away and drive one. The only F88 I ever drove was owned by a haulier in Warrington called James Soens (I think it was a P reg with a Liverpool plate) and it had the noisiest brakes I’ve ever heard. The old adage of Volvo’s having crap brakes may have had something to do with the fact that if you tried to use them on this motor, you and half the street would have been deafened!

did the F88 smoke on cold start like my F89 did ? i would scare the bejesus out of them when i put the handbrake on then gas them for good measure when i started it … :blush:

I think all the old Volvos did and IIRC you got just as much in the cab when they were cold (didn’t there used to be a button you could depress to reduce the excessive smoke - didn’t seem to do much!) There was a driver at FM (from Ipswich I think) who drove an old F88 LHD (act it might have been an 89) I never knew his real name but everyone called him wonky donkey on the CB (I think he suffered with polio and it affected his legs.) He was a nice bloke and his motor looked the business.

I wonder what this old girl has done in her past life?

going for a spin in a 88

youtube.com/watch?v=LDqWn7Ji … re=related

Yet another who doesn’t know an 89 from an 88 !

LB76:
Yet another who doesn’t know an 89 from an 88 !

Do you mean apart from the great zb off badge on the front and the door.

The sure way to tell if it is an F88 is that the F89 badge has pop rivets in it :laughing:

look what i just found . nowt to do with me by the way it just so happens i passed the yard the other day and i’m just checking them out .

smithbrosltd.com/trucks/detail.php?id=433

yes exactly. i would like a £ for every one i have had thieved off of my grill, all in the uk too! :unamused:

kindle530:
going for a spin in a 88

I have just watched that and I discovered that I drove mine all wrong as I am sure I never used the splitter with the unit solo :unamused: :blush: in fact I probably didn’t use it that much loaded :unamused: only used it when necessary
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

kindle530:
going for a spin in a 88

I have just watched that and I discovered that I drove mine all wrong as I am sure I never used the splitter with the unit solo :unamused: :blush: in fact I probably didn’t use it that much loaded :unamused: only used it when necessary
cheers Johnnie

I bet you never double declutched with a synchro box either :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hello guys!

Hope your day have been to your satisfication. :wink:

I can say you guys know what you all talk about. I think it would be nice have some fact. All of these models haven’t been in Scotland or England

Fact about Volvo’s different models’ in the L493 — L495 to F88 — FH16 category

LF stands for Long Frame 3-axle, VDF stands for Volvo Diesel engine type F

L399LF Titan was produced 1951 — 59, engine VDF — D96 — TD96 /150 -195 hp (Turbo!)
L495 Titan Turbo was produced 1959 — 65, engine D96 / TD96 / 165 — 230 hp

N88/FB88 was produced 1965 — 73, engine, D100 /TD100 / 166 — 260 hp
N88 vas the last Volvo as had a hood and vas build as a lorry will be. It could be paid with and without turbo.

L4951 Titan Tiptop was produced 1964 — 65, engine TD96 / 230 hp. 1,429 sold, blank square grille.

F88 was produced 1965 — 77, engine D100 / TD100 / 165 -290
G88 was produced 1970 — 78, engine D100 / TD100 / 165 -290
G89 was produced 1970 — 78, engine D100 / TD100 / 165 -290
F89 was produced 1970 — 77, engine TD120A / 330 brutto-hp

F88/G88/F89/G89CH230 were sold in a total number of 61,220 units

N7 was produced 1973 — 86, engine TD70 / 207 — 212 hp
N10 was produced 1973 — 90, engine TD100 / 101 / 102 / 250 — 318 hp
N12 was produced 1973 — 91, engine TD120 / 121 / 122 / 329 — 395 hp

F10 (a) was produced 1977 — 83, engine TD100 / 250 — 300 hp
F12 (a) was produced 1973 — 86, engine TD120 / 330 — 385 hp
F10 /b) was produced 1983 — 87, engine TD101 / 275 — 318
F12 (b) was produced 1977 — 83, engine TD100 / 122 / 329 — 395 hp
F10 (c) was produced 1987 — 93, engine TD100 / 101 / 103 / 275 — 320 hp
F12 (c) was produced 1987 — 93, engine TD121 / 122 / 123 / 329 — 405 hp

FH12 upgrade was produced from 1993 and yet, engine TD120 / 340 — 420

FH16 was produced 1987 - 94, engine TD162 / 163 / 465 — 500
FH16 was produced 1993 and yet, engine TD100 / 470 — 520

We know FH12 now is superseded by FH13.

Abowe is taken from Christer Olsson Lastbilarna igår och idag. But mych can be found om Internet. Lorrys from yesterday to today

In the past Volvo had name for their different model but also a letter L and number after such
L370 Brage. Brage was a little lorry used for food delivery.

Brage was the son to Odin and husband Idun

Have a good day and drive safe.
Lars-Gunnar :smiley:

newmercman:

sammyopisite:

kindle530:
going for a spin in a 88

cheers Johnnie

I bet you never double declutched with a synchro box either :open_mouth: :laughing:

NMM you are correct why do unnecessary work just a slower change :wink:

FH13 Lars some very interesting information there we are never to old to learn :laughing: and welcome to the forum
cheers Johnnie

Thank you sammyopisite!
You can call me for Lars-Gunnar.

Thank you Lars-Gunnar, it’s great to see some facts and figures about the trucks so many of us love. I have an F16 500 from June 1994 which I am in the early stages of restoring, could you confirm the number of these trucks built please, I have read that Volvo produced 9,506 in total, is that correct?

Thanks, Ross.

It seems lengthy. I think Volvo N88 had a stick and on it sat what we say splitter, a red knob as should be down for low gearing and up when it was high gearing. Titan Turbo had such disposition; stick and a little box as was rubber dressed near the top of stick and one red knob as electric way manage if the driver wants high or low gear.

1965 F88/FB88/NB88 10 litres engine, Range-gearbox 8 forward/2 backward and 4 gear positions. I have never ride with never Volvos but when I saw how they did when they change gear I didn’t know if I should laugh or cry. I think I-shift makes it easier.

Lars-Gunnar

bigr250:
Thank you Lars-Gunnar, it’s great to see some facts and figures about the trucks so many of us love. I have an F16 500 from June 1994 which I am in the early stages of restoring, could you confirm the number of these trucks built please, I have read that Volvo produced 9,506 in total, is that correct?

Thanks, Ross.

Hello bigr250.

Unfortunaelly I cant confirm jor asking. Cause is the book is blank on some places and because F16 continue produces I think it is because that. But please contact Boije Ovebrink as works for Volvo. He is also the founder of FH16 club and iis the man as has drive the worlds fastest Volvo. Send a mail and ask politely.

Postadress
Swedish Volvo FH16 Club
c/o Boije Ovebrink
Skinnarängsvägen 8
592 32 Vadstena

epost info@boije.se

Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

adr:
She’s been around some years now but I never tire of seeing this old girl!

Volvo F88 were the predecessor of Titan Tiptop with the square blank grille and I have always been proud because this lorry become a Worlds vide success and I time I discovered this success lorry was at home (and I was 15 year) and a Titan Tiptop outputting 230 hp ran down the lane and it had a 3-axle trailer and were sat to carry woodchips as at that time had a gross weight of 52,000 kg. The former lorry was the Titan as had 230 hp but all I can say this engine was a real workhorse. But Titan Tiptop locked like a house and high was the lorry. The technician at Volvo had never done so great job. You all can think my eyes vas as large as two plates. :wink:

kindle530:

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Hello,
Ok, this photo isn’t a a Volvo F88, but it is a Volvo F86, it’s sister.
■■■■■■■■ Gill

maybe it belongs in the F86 thread then you plum. :unamused:

Yes it reminds me if we been talking about Volvo, then after a few postings Scania popped up and then is the whole sabotaged. It is strange but I guess they as is Scaniafans feels sidstepped?

hi lars gunner just like to know is there any f89 still running around your part of sweeden regards rowland

G’day Lars Gunner mate,

Some good info there mate,but it’s not all strictly correct. The G89 was fitted with the TD120A at 330hp. Also the early version 1 FH12’s had the D12A engine, I’m also pretty sure that the version 1 FH16’s were fitted with the D16A engine,which was developed from the F16 TD162 and TD163 motor.

Because this is Britain, don’t forget we had our own Volvo Irvine plant building trucks and buses and before that we had Jim McKelvie and Jim Keyden with Ailsa Trucks who was breaking the Swedish moulds and demanding different specification Volvo to the rest of the world.

The 290 Volvo F88 was peculiar to the UK market and was produced because the two Jims demanded it.

And if you know anything about the F88 or F89 models you will know about the ill fitting front grille panel :stuck_out_tongue: