Planthaul / MCL

niknak:
Actually, looking at it, it might be Mrs Booth, better known as ‘Boothies wife’.

Thank you for the memory Mr Woodfine, From Boothy jnr…

Hi All… Great thread … I used to look out my bedroom window that over looked Planthaul yard … I have just noticed that one of the Volvo f12 had a reg of VBH 584S… and E HULL of Bedford had a Volvo F12 with a reg of VBH 587S …

Mr Woodfine ! Well well ! Happy New Year mate, Duncan Rogers here ! came upon this site purely by chance this morning whilst searching on Google, search term may have included the word …slime … but then again im not sure ! :wink: , anyways, had a look and recognised a few faces and trucks having driven a few of them myself, whilst never actually working for MC ever ! Anyway, Del Maunders was in our yard so I showed him and he got everso excited with stories for almost every picture !! … so I registered him on here as well mate and he will fill this thread up perhaps ! Ask him about that process plant skid leaving the yard for Scheidam ! :laughing: The first picture below of KPP 280P was his old motor, along with several more !

truckerash:
Here’s my contribution to this great thread. Enjoy…
My first visit to Planhaul yard as a “youngster” :blush: :blush: Must have been 17 or 18.

The picture below is also Dels motor, as he said his was the only one clean enough for the photo ! You can tell its his by the complete absence of any paperwork, tacho boxes or maps in the windscreen

The two people below we reckon are Dave Alderson, and Rasher RIP (does also look a bit like Boothy though too, but the jumper clinched it, Del remebers it !!! ffs

The person below is of course Dave Stroud

Who’s that lurking in the background? Well its Mick Middleditch of course !

In answer to the question about Robbie Watson RIP , yes it was the same one who started Wessex International.
Cracking pictures Nick , did you ever find out the name of the bloke who kept popping up half naked in your photos , looking like one of the Village People ? A catch up beer is in order methinks at some point !

cockney:
Hi All… Great thread … I used to look out my bedroom window that over looked Planthaul yard … I have just noticed that one of the Volvo f12 had a reg of VBH 584S… and E HULL of Bedford had a Volvo F12 with a reg of VBH 587S …

morning Del Maaunders here yep 584s was my old bus with the 4 axle low loader,good days ,no fun any more

skandiahamn:
Planthaul always had impressive glossy brochures.

This was taken from one around 1981.

thats me

Morning Dell Maunders here, just been put on to this site, god its bought back some memories. I started at EPH when i was 20 in 1975 i was second man plus ■■■■■■ driver in europe with Barry Stringer on KPP 279P F89 6X4 WITH a Goldhoffer 5 axle semi .when i was 21 MC put me through HGV 1 and away i went, First motor,RBM 428M ,6X2 F88 ,2ND KPP280P 6X4 F89 ,3rd VBH 584S 6X4 F12,4th BBM 328T 6X4 F12 ,Unfortunately the company started cutting back on the 6x4 s at this time and sold a couple, so i then went on to OVS 245W 6X2 F12….and had that till Planthaul went into Receivership ,i think if they were still going some of us would still be there …. moaning lol ps I think we could write a good book about some of the things we got up to in those days…
Look forward to hearing from any other sad f*****r
Derek

Del Maunders:
Morning Dell Maunders here, just been put on to this site, god its bought back some memories. I started at EPH when i was 20 in 1975 i was second man plus ■■■■■■ driver in europe with Barry Stringer on KPP 279P F89 6X4 WITH a Goldhoffer 5 axle semi .when i was 21 MC put me through HGV 1 and away i went, First motor,RBM 428M ,6X2 F88 ,2ND KPP280P 6X4 F89 ,3rd VBH 584S 6X4 F12,4th BBM 328T 6X4 F12 ,Unfortunately the company started cutting back on the 6x4 s at this time and sold a couple, so i then went on to OVS 245W 6X2 F12….and had that till Planthaul went into Receivership ,i think if they were still going some of us would still be there …. moaning lol ps I think we could write a good book about some of the things we got up to in those days…
Look forward to hearing from any other sad f*****r
Derek

I did my first trip over with Barry Stringer when he was on for S.John, gem of a man!!

Here’s a few more names you might remember…

Stan Atkinson from Sandy.
Stan Novak (ex-S.John)
■■■■ Clelland (ex-S.John)
Steve Knight from Cardington
Ian Robinson (o/d subbie) (ex-S.John)

Hi Del

You must have a big pile of pics to put up!!

How’s it going?

NikNak…

Hi Nik,
Im fine started on my own 5 yrs ago moving expensive cars around UK and EUROPE …I have a Disco 4 now and 2 trailers 1 open and 1 covered, making a living … and yes i have albans of pics ,and some of Newbreed when in Russia with FMC pea viners.

what are you up to these days ?

Hi Del,

Got out of the game for quite a few years, had a bit of a miss-hap with the taxman, so I’m back driving trucks for people up and down the M1 and round and round the M25 agency style, it’s lovely. Well alright then, it’s f-in boring.
Who else are you in contact with from the glory days? We should hold a reunion, perhaps go by coach to the bake-house for it?

All the best…Nik…

Hi Nic

only realy in contact with Pete Mallows and he is looking for work,i did spend a couple of hours with Jim Panter the other day at his house in sussex,

the last time i past the bake house it was a pizza bar, sad isnt it that was another planthaul office,i think a lot have closed now ,i came by the White House nr St.Dizier last week and that was closed, somebody told me you were doing a bit for Bookers an old school freind of mine works on there on nights i think Niddy Ellis.

anyway Nik i have to av early night picking a Aston up in Gloucester in morning tipping in Bruxelles tomorrow evening ,then running up to Hamburg to load a Mclaren back to London,then load Aston London for Linz Austria hopefully home Monday,all the best Dell

Bells Broke Biggleswade, just of A1 north roundabout, where the Sainsbury’s petrol station is now :slight_smile:

Remember meeting up with EPH drivers in the early 80`s a few times seems you were always getting captured :laughing: there was one driver who drove for BRS Overland Iran and was on Blue Peter I think he drove a F12 and a younger chap who drove a F7 great fun with them with the stories :smiley:
The good olde days

Brilliant thread!!! Hi ya all… I was a Project Manager for the then PLANTSHIP section. Michael is the hardest working, intelligent, knowledgable, nicest guy I ever worked for. Brilliant days in the '70’s…

I hope that last poster was safely returned to his padded cell shortly after writing that!? :open_mouth:

opel.jpg

If any of you did the Polish run you may have noticed these chaps in the DDR. They belonged to this mob, BRIXMIS.

brixmis.co.uk/

I once went into the yard down Millbrook Rd and there on a flatbed were, the rifled barrel parts for one of the late Mr S Hussain’s early super guns. On the front of the trailer was a Bristol Centaurus ( they used Sea Furies against the Iranians ) someone stole it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . Was it any of you lot?

Nice pics of the F89.

jj72:
I hope that last poster was safely returned to his padded cell shortly after writing that!? :open_mouth:

I was thinking along the same lines!