MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

I am restoring an Atkinson Borderer at present, I would be interested to hear how you found the brakes when you were running them, the double diaphram lock actuators type to the more popular spring brakes fitted to other vehicles. Did anyone convert to spring brake if so would it be a big job, reason I ask is that D D lock actuators are hard to find now and no kits available.

Bewick / 240 Gardner, this may be up your street hope you can help… :confused: :wink:

XTF235N (former Canning Borderer and now in the hands of TTX from Rochdale) has spring brakes on the drive axle instead of lock actuators.

But that might have something to do with the actual drive axle being a Rockwell, rather than the factory fitted original. I believe John Jardine converted it when he had it earning a crust (after he’d dropped an ■■■■■■■ E320 in it, instead of the 250 it originally had…)

revman:
here’s one in a lovely Brunswick green

Stobarts probably owned the largest fleet of Atkinsons in ■■■■■■■■ and they probably did most of the haulage in and out of ■■■■■■■ in the 70’s + 80’s as well.

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

revman:

Stobarts probably owned the largest fleet of Atkinsons in ■■■■■■■■ and they probably did most of the haulage in and out of ■■■■■■■ in the 70’s + 80’s as well.

We also get adverts that say Carlsberg is PROBABLY the finest lager in the world,
they are misguided also. Ps that Stobarts Atki was never part of their fleet, going
by that reg plate. Regards a Stobart Indifferent. :smiley:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

revman:

Why don’t you ESF’s stay of this sensible thread and go and spout your ■■■■■■■■ some Mickey Mouse thread where you belong ! Do us all a favour ! just for the record,you wally,by the time fast eddie got started in the late 70’s they had stopped building Atki’s and there is no way that ESL could have or did have anymore Atkis than an odd one or possibly two !! and secondly in the 70’s ( definitely ) and the 80’s ESL in no way “did most of the haulage in and out of ■■■■■■■■■■■ your going to come on the “Grown ups” site make sure you have your facts correct.Bewick.

Bewick:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

revman:

Why don’t you ESF’s stay of this sensible thread and go and spout your ■■■■■■■■ some Mickey Mouse thread where you belong ! Do us all a favour ! just for the record,you wally,by the time fast eddie got started in the late 70’s they had stopped building Atki’s and there is no way that ESL could have or did have anymore Atkis than an odd one or possibly two !! and secondly in the 70’s ( definitely ) and the 80’s ESL in no way “did most of the haulage in and out of ■■■■■■■■■■■ your going to come on the “Grown ups” site make sure you have your facts correct.Bewick.

hi dennis,
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,though,seriousley dennis,you are right mate.
regards andrew.

:wink: :wink: When I saw that Dennis I thought this will create a bit of mileage wonder if he stays :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mrken:
:wink: :wink: When I saw that Dennis I thought this will create a bit of mileage wonder if he stays :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There’s always been the occasional dreamer Ken, :unamused: sadly, there seems to be even more of them nowadays :wink:

Trev.

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

revman:

Yes they were all made by corgi!!

Bewick:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

revman:

No Bewick, from the 70’s onwards they were by far the top hauliers in ■■■■■■■■ there was another fleet called Robins of Carlisle but apart from that all other fleets were by all accounts a bit piddly and very small in fleet numbers.

Stop spouting garbage , the company you are attempting to describe was ROBSONS , even a child with a dirty nappy would know that . An awful lot of traffic into & out of ■■■■■■■ was actually going through ■■■■■■■ , from other places ,ie Scotland Ireland , and was definitely not all moved by your man Stobart .

I always thought that Es was a modern day Logistics company and has never been a proper HAULAGE company as I have never seen one which pulled a flat trailer and the load was roped and sheeted.

cheers Johnnie :wink:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

Bewick:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

revman:

No Bewick, from the 70’s onwards they were by far the top hauliers in ■■■■■■■■ there was another fleet called Robins of Carlisle but apart from that all other fleets were by all accounts a bit piddly and very small in fleet numbers.

Look here you Berk, fast eddie was driving a JCB helping to put the finishing touches to the new M6 in 1972 at the tender age of 17 and they only moved into Carlisle at the end of the 70’s and I can tell you for a fact that during the '79 drivers strike they struggled to run the few motors they had and an old friend of mine A.D. Boyes (Alex snr.) helped the young fast eddie to keep running.Also at this time Robsons of Carlisle ( not ROBINS you stupid ■■■■■■ were still by far the largest hauliers in ■■■■■■■ and the main haulier out of MB Carlisle.It was only when Robsons were bought out by United Glass ( direct competitors of MB in packaging) in the early 80’s that the fast one started to weevil into MB and Robsons concentrated on Glass transport and I think their main centre of operation became Flitwick in Bedfordshire,incidentally I knew Robsons Distribution Services MD,Herbert Nettleship who was a UG man origionally. So it is quite definitely you that is talking ■■■■■■■■,not me !! Bewick.

Hi berwick do you get this feeling esf could be carryfast twin.cheers

opps bewick sorry

blackbox:
opps bewick sorry

In all honesty BB “carryfast” does at least talk sense a lot of the time and even he is not that misguided and sick to become an ESL “virus” sorry fan !!! This bloke ESF whoever he is is a total, and complete, ■■■■ and you could write on the back of a 2nd class stamp what he knows about road transport,I wouldn’t waste a 1st class stamp on him !!! Cheers Bewick.

sammyopisite:
I always thought that Es was a modern day Logistics company and has never been a proper HAULAGE company as I have never seen one which pulled a flat trailer and the load was roped and sheeted.

cheers Johnnie :wink:

They used to have Express Haulage on their trailers

Bewick:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

Bewick:

EDDIE STOBART FAN:

revman:

Look here you Berk, fast eddie was driving a JCB helping to put the finishing touches to the new M6 in 1972 at the tender age of 17 and they only moved into Carlisle at the end of the 70’s and I can tell you for a fact that during the '79 drivers strike they struggled to run the few motors they had and an old friend of mine A.D. Boyes (Alex snr.) helped the young fast eddie to keep running.Also at this time Robsons of Carlisle ( not ROBINS you stupid [zb]!) were still by far the largest hauliers in ■■■■■■■ and the main haulier out of MB Carlisle.It was only when Robsons were bought out by United Glass ( direct competitors of MB in packaging) in the early 80’s that the fast one started to weevil into MB and Robsons concentrated on Glass transport and I think their main centre of operation became Flitwick in Bedfordshire,incidentally I knew Robsons Distribution Services MD,Herbert Nettleship who was a UG man origionally. So it is quite definitely you that is talking ■■■■■■■■,not me !! Bewick.

Are you sure it was not Robins? I know that they started to name their lorries after Stobarts started naming their theirs, their fleet size was no where near as big as Stobarts.

Can I ask you a question,Knob Head, that looks like “fast eddie” driving that Atki,---- is it him ?

what on earth has this got to do with mk1 and 11 atkinsons any way ? slightly off topic could we have some more photos please just been through mine and iive never taken a photo of one for some reason!