Sherlock Transport Services

We had some good laughs on Sherlocks, we all liked a good drink and if we were all home on a Friday night, you would see a gang of us either in the Belreask (spelling) or Foxes on Flower Hill, Ken Salisbury (Fraggle), Tommy Cassidy, the oldest driver and the longest serving, Noel Moore, who I got on really well with, if something needed saying, he told it as it was, the same as me, but a gentle giant, there’s a few stories to tell about myself and Noel drinking in Foxes, when we bumped bellies, sending me flying across the bar, I collided with a group of people who weren’t best pleased, Noel couldn’t stand up for laughing, b******, there was Gerry McQuaid, I think alzheimer’s is setting in, I can see the faces, but names, there was Emit, shamus O’Dea, spellings up the creek too today, I’ll need to edit this blog later. I remember us all having a Christmas dinner at the Belreask, it was a really good night, Fraggle who lived in Ossett near Wakefield was over and up to his old tricks, spent the night slagging the Landlord off, telling him the steak was crap etc, when it was time for us to leave he asked the landlord if he could sleep in his truck in the car park over night…amazingly the Landlord agreed. I remember Fraggle and myself traveling over from Heysham to Warrenpoint on Seatruck, because the ferry only carried twelve drivers, the crew and drivers all knew each other really well, on one night crossing I remember us sailing out with gale force winds, (it wasn’t me, and not unusual on the Irish sea) anyway, the Captain rang down to tell the steward not to serve any more drink as it was getting late, probably early morning really and to much noise, anyway Fraggle got the hump and rang the Captain and gave him a right mouthful, eventually it all quietened down and we all when to bed, in the middle of the night a crewman came rushing in and thew a lifejacket at Fraggle and told him to get straight up to the bridge and rushed out again, I wasn’t sure what was happening and must have fallen asleep again, apparently, Fraggle had grabbed the lifejacket and charge up to the bridge thinking the ship was in trouble, as he shot onto the bridge, the Captain and a few others burst out laughing and told Fraggle everything was fine and he could go back to bed, apparently Fraggle didn’t see the funny side of it and gave them all a load of abuse again. No doubt I’ll be getting some stick as well, that’s if anyone can be bothered to add some stories, so come on, get posting.

Two of the trucks I drove for John Sherlock
Top photo taken at Dublin Docks.
It later went over the side of the freighter on route to
Heysham from Dublin, after it was hit by a freak wave, it was
hanging by the rear lefthand drive axle and had to be lifted off
by crane, if I’m not mistaken, Gerry McQuaid took the vehicle over,
John Sherlock has a photo off it hanging over the side, so I’ll see if
he can find it.
Bottom photo in lay by near Eaglescliffe
That was my first trip with it, picked it up
on the Saturday, out on the ferry Sunday night
Had four spots fitted on the roof and four on
the Grill. A brilliant truck.

getatt11.jpg

On route from Heysham to Eaglescliffe, crossing the ■■■■■■■ / Durham border on the A66

John Sherlock with his son Colm, now in his twenties and a brilliant driver himself.

I’ve driven most of these trucks over the years

LorryPics9.jpg

153-41.jpg

well beano iv finally got on to this! God i never seen that pic of the 94 in all her glory! that mustv been taken before it went over on the boat because i remember it wasnt on the road long before it got six spots.Its the craic i seen all you drivers having as a young lad either in the balreask on a friday or in the stena lounge, that has given me my love for trucks tha i cant shake! I remember my first trip out of the country with dad was in the square headlight f10 and we went out to bathgate with a load of envelopes i mustve been 4 or 5 and i can still remember it! i have the provisional artic licence now and my test is booked so hopefully il be tellin my own stories soon!I still hold that 112 as my favoutite truck we had it mustve been all the school holidays i spent in the passenger seat waving at all the 144s as we passed them with no limiter :smiley:

Hi Colm You will have to get some of the lads on here. Can you put a list of all the driver on here, I keep remembering them while off line then forgetting their name again.

from what i remember,
beano john
tommy carter
eddie devlin
speedy?
gerry mcquaid
tommy cassidy
noel moore
alan quigly
ken ( fragil)
emmet darcy
sheamus o dea