Adam Jones & Sons Blackheath West Midlands

Thought I would give this post a bump up … some great photos on there. BTW instill on the hunt myself.

some new pictures coming soon !!

That’s great news mate… just a quick note . My dad Andy Bennett has retired from driving after 40 years on the road as of last Friday … happy retirement dad u deserve a medal ! …

dwaftruck:
i think you could be right , its the same design .

bubbleman:
Hiya,going by the cab on this one,is this an ex Adam Jones Atki? :grimacing:

Hiya if this is the adam jones cab has anyone got any idea when this photo was taken… this shaped cab i had in 1981
when i worked at Buxton only the headlights was twin round ones. this photo must have been taken in early 82.
the atki looks in good condition to be 10 years old… i wounder if there was more than one of these rounded
sleeper cabs made.
John

my dad says adam jones had 2 of these conversions…

2 of these turned up friday !

dwaftruck:
2 of these turned up friday !

Nice too see they r still going strong m8 .

3300John:

dwaftruck:

bubbleman:

Hiya if this is the adam jones cab has anyone got any idea when this photo was taken… this shaped cab i had in 1981
when i worked at Buxton only the headlights was twin round ones. this photo must have been taken in early 82.
the atki looks in good condition to be 10 years old… i wounder if there was more than one of these rounded
sleeper cabs made.
Hiya… i see this atki is on a L reg …1972, which mine at buxton was, the photo of the adam jones was a N reg.
i know the cab was fitted by the buxton firm in 1981… i think this is the adam jones cab fitted on another chssis.
with the headlights changed for some reason.
John

3300John:

3300John:

dwaftruck:

bubbleman:

sleeper cabs made.
Hiya… i see this atki is on a L reg …1972, which mine at buxton was, the photo of the adam jones was a N reg.
i know the cab was fitted by the buxton firm in 1981… i think this is the adam jones cab fitted on another chssis.
John

Hiya John,it’s a 1972 “VD” Lanarkshire reg,maybe Sam Anderson? Just a thought pal.

Chris Webb:

3300John:

3300John:

dwaftruck:

bubbleman:

sleeper cabs made.
John

Hiya John,it’s a 1972 “VD” Lanarkshire reg,maybe Sam Anderson? Just a thought pal
Hiya chris…i 'don’t know, as it happened the Atki was dark blue with a red chassis, it shunted up the back of another truck.
then the Adam jones cab come from Barnsley the same colour with sign writing, shatwell at buxton sprayed the cab cream and brown.
i do know it had twin tanks so that would explaine the tank on the drivers side. don’t know about the headlights, if they was scammell
they was rubbish.
John

Hi all.
Just found this tread about Adam Jones. I worked for Jones’s from 1973 to 1976.
I worked with Alex’s dad and many others like The Butcher, Micky Radford, Ken Dodd, Micky ■■■■■■ I could go on.
I still pop in to see Roy and Clive from time to time when I’m in the area.
Seeing the old photos brings it all back.
I have to say they were the best company I ever worked for and was very sad to leave.
I only left because I relocated and still wonder sometimes if it was a wise move.
Alex… if your dad is still about give him my regards.
Merv

Hello all
Just a post to start a thread with 1 of the countrys longest established haulers . does any 1 have any photos of there wagons/yard, iam suprised that no 1 has any on this site.
My dad worked for them over 15 yrs from the eary 70s to mid 80s driving ERF,Foden, Borderers,f89,111s,saviem, The original yard in blackheath has long gone and is now a Sainsburys , But they are still going strong and have reloacated to the old British steel shunting yard behind Macro which ironicly they used there wagons to shunt steel down to the trailer yard at the bottom of the hill.
I have many memories of the old yard particually the pot holes when leaving and entering the yard ouch !!!

There is a photo of a Borderer (NHA 331M, from memory) in Peter Davies’ Atkinson book

THERES A FEW PHOTOS DOTTED ABOUT ON HERE AND FLICKR, THE NEW YARD STILL GETS THE POT HOLES BUT ITS MUCH BETTER THAN ASHLEY ST, THERES QUITE A FEW PHOTOS IN THE YARD I WILL SEE IF I CAN GET THEM PUT ON HERE.

alexbennett:
Hello all
Just a post to start a thread with 1 of the countrys longest established haulers . does any 1 have any photos of there wagons/yard, iam suprised that no 1 has any on this site.
My dad worked for them over 15 yrs from the eary 70s to mid 80s driving ERF,Foden, Borderers,f89,111s,saviem, The original yard in blackheath has long gone and is now a Sainsburys , But they are still going strong and have reloacated to the old British steel shunting yard behind Macro which ironicly they used there wagons to shunt steel down to the trailer yard at the bottom of the hill.
I have many memories of the old yard particually the pot holes when leaving and entering the yard ouch !!!

Heres afew to get it going

dwaftruck:
THERES A FEW PHOTOS DOTTED ABOUT ON HERE AND FLICKR, THE NEW YARD STILL GETS THE POT HOLES BUT ITS MUCH BETTER THAN ASHLEY ST, THERES QUITE A FEW PHOTOS IN THE YARD I WILL SEE IF I CAN GET THEM PUT ON HERE.

alexbennett:
Hello all

their fleet look a little better these days,they used to have a few bangers !!

its getting better!!!

curnock:
their fleet look a little better these days,they used to have a few bangers !!