Beresford Transport, Stoke-on-Trent

I have two pieces of information that lead me to believe that Beresford Transport send tiles down to the Middle East using either their own lorries, or subcontractors’ lorries in their livery.

It appears that an ERF NGC (7MW) did trips down there with tiles & tyres, returning with carpets and furniture for Glasgow. And ‘John3300’ reports that one of their Fodens went down to Doha with tiles.

Can anyone shed more light on this operation?

Robert

robert1952:
I have two pieces of information that lead me to believe that Beresford Transport send tiles down to the Middle East using either their own lorries, or subcontractors’ lorries in their livery.

It appears that an ERF NGC (7MW) did trips down there with tiles & tyres, returning with carpets and furniture for Glasgow. And ‘John3300’ reports that one of their Fodens went down to Doha with tiles.

Robert

Robert,
I think I told the tale on the other thread, “Firms from Stoke on Trent”, about the time I was heading back from somewhere down south, I came across two Beresfords driven by “Big” Jack Banbury and Denis Holford, now both sadly deceased.
They were parked at the side of the road a couple of clicks short of the “Telex” outside Ankara heading home. they were running short of diesel and could not get travellers cheques changed up, and they didn’t know they were almost at the Telex.
Anyway, I dieseled them up and led them back to the Harem in Istanbul where they squared me up.
They had been to Teheran, and it was the first trip outside Europe for Jack, Denis and Beresford!
I didn’t think Beresford went out that far again, well I never saw them again anyway, although I saw Jack and Denis quite regularly on the Dover Calais ferry, but only doing their usual Italy. Maybe subbies were doing the work?
I don’t remember what they took out to Teheran or what they backloaded.

I grew up in Biddulph, can just about remember John Rodgers, my next door neighbour being killed in a smash whilst working for them, left behind a wife and 3 really young daughters.

bestbooties:

robert1952:

Robert

Robert,
I think I told the tale on the other thread, “Firms from Stoke on Trent”, about the time I was heading back from somewhere down south, I came across two Beresfords driven by “Big” Jack Banbury and Denis Holford, now both sadly deceased.
They were parked at the side of the road a couple of clicks short of the “Telex” outside Ankara heading home. they were running short of diesel and could not get travellers cheques changed up, and they didn’t know they were almost at the Telex.
Anyway, I dieseled them up and led them back to the Harem in Istanbul where they squared me up.
They had been to Teheran, and it was the first trip outside Europe for Jack, Denis and Beresford!
I didn’t think Beresford went out that far again, well I never saw them again anyway, although I saw Jack and Denis quite regularly on the Dover Calais ferry, but only doing their usual Italy. Maybe subbies were doing the work?
I don’t remember what they took out to Teheran or what they backloaded.

Brilliant! Thank you for this: it shows clear evidence of Beresford on Middle East. They couldn’t possibly have been doing other than Middle East if they were at Telex Motel at Ankara!

Cheers, Robert

Beresford owned an ERF NGC registered JDF 132N. The other one in Beresford colours belonged to Albert Dale, who was a subbie. Beresford ran a French-registered ERF NGC and based it in Le Havre and put a French driver in it. John Heath has verified that for me, because he had to go and take it over for a week while the Frenchman was off. It is believed that the French unit and JDF 132N were one and the same vehicle. However, a recent picture has come to light showing JDF 132N in red livery as an ERF demonstrator for Grocott of Stoke. So either it was re-registered (‘flagged out’) in France and then re-registered with it’s original number in Britain; or the French unit was a 3rd NGC in Beresford colours. Can anyone shed a light on this? Robert

i’ve just bought the north staffordshire hauliers book by ros unwind . the full story of beresfords start to finish is in it . dave

rigsby:
i’ve just bought the north staffordshire hauliers book by ros unwind . the full story of beresfords start to finish is in it . dave

Excellent! And does it answer my question? Robert

robert1952:

rigsby:

unfortunately not robert , there are several photos of that type of erf but later models , r and s registered . dave

rigsby:
i’ve just bought the north staffordshire hauliers book by ros unwin. the full story of beresfords start to finish is in it . dave

Now you need to buy “Staffordshire Hauliers Two”.
(I’ve had Ros Unwin sat on my sofa!)

i’ll get the second book , he has it at the bookshop at leek market where i bought the first one . got to watch the pennies on the pension y’know .

I’ve got Staffordshire Hauliers book 2, and it actually has got ERF NGCs in it but they’re not Beresford’s! Robert

Mr 141:
What can you tell me about this lot please?

I’ve a dim recollection that the livery was based on a long-gone (pre-1924 grouping) old railway company livery - can anyone confirm or deny that?

I know that that was true of Dennis R Pass of Banks in West Lancashire, but I’ve a feeling that it was the case for Beresford as well.

240 Gardner:

Mr 141:
What can you tell me about this lot please?

I’ve a dim recollection that the livery was based on a long-gone (pre-1924 grouping) old railway company livery - can anyone confirm or deny that?

I know that that was true of Dennis R Pass of Banks in West Lancashire, but I’ve a feeling that it was the case for Beresford as well.

Under BR, the South Devon railway livery was the same two-tone green and yellow as Beresford’s, but not pre-1924. Perhaps other railways shared the same livery. Robert

Photos from transportphotos.com/road/photos

JLC00230-04.jpg
JLC00273-12.jpg
JLC00276-26.jpg
VS01690.jpg

CCF04022009_00011.jpg
CCF04022009_00006.jpg

robert1952:

rigsby:

Hope the pages didn’t come apart.These were published by a firm in Ipstones as was another book about the Fauld Explosion and the pages came away from that.I find a lot of the Haynes publications come apart too or is it me ill treating them.

Tony

robert1952:

Rob

That’s a great photo - thanks for posting

Cheers
Ant

Willie Roadstar:

robert1952:

Rob

That’s a great photo - thanks for posting

Cheers
Ant

It’s a classic Peter Davies photo. I’ve asked some questions about it further up the page, regarding whether it was (or not) the same unit that was registered on French plates and based in Le Havre.

For quick reference, the question I asked was this:

‘Beresford owned an ERF NGC registered JDF 132N. The other one in Beresford colours belonged to Albert Dale, who was a subbie. Beresford ran a French-registered ERF NGC and based it in Le Havre and put a French driver in it. John Heath has verified that for me, because he had to go and take it over for a week while the Frenchman was off. It is believed that the French unit and JDF 132N were one and the same vehicle. However, a recent picture has come to light showing JDF 132N in red livery as an ERF demonstrator for Grocott of Stoke. So either it was re-registered (‘flagged out’) in France and then re-registered with it’s original number in Britain; or the French unit was a 3rd NGC in Beresford colours. Can anyone shed a light on this?’

Robert

Some of the pic’s i posted on the stoke thread

BSeriesBeresfordSep1980.jpg
EuropeanBeresford.jpg

img856.jpg