L.A.D. Cab query

Can anyone tell me why there was two different versions of this cab used by albion/leyland , some models had the door around the wheelarch & some had a square door above the wheelarch-like the version Dodge used .

Leyland

Albion

Dodge

I believe there were two different manufacturers who made the cab, one was the Motor Panels Vista-Vue LAD cab as we know it, and the other was an ERF design, licensed to and built by Willenhall Radiator Company for BMC among others.

Wheel Nut:

Leyland

Albion

Dodge

I believe there were two different manufacturers who made the cab, one was the Motor Panels Vista-Vue LAD cab as we know it, and the other was an ERF design, licensed to and built by Willenhall Radiator Company for BMC among others.

I can only think it had something to do with where the front axle was placed under the chassis.The Comets and Dodges always looked to have their axles set further forward than the Albions and heavier Leylands.I didn’t realise there was another firm other than Motor Panels manufacturing the LAD cab.Cheers Dennis.

In 1910 the Day family, who had made keys in North Street for generations, moved into the business of making car radiators. After the first world war they moved out of Wednesfield to the old Clyno works in Wolverhampton, and then to Willenhall. In the late 1930s they formed a company called Willenhall Motor Radiator Ltd and then moved out of Willenhall back to Wednesfield where, in Neachell’s Lane, they expanded into assembling motor bodies, employing large numbers of people.

They built Bella

Apart from lorry cabs, they also made scooters :stuck_out_tongue: DKR comes from the initials for Barry Day, Cyril Kieft and Noah Robinson.

They made steel cabs for ERF for export

They built cabs for Ford, the Bedford O series and they also made the cab panels for the Scammell Scarab.

I love these type of questions which allow me to go back in time.

That may be laudably British made, but it isn’t a Vespa or Lambretta in looks is it? :laughing:

BSA made a 250CC scooter which looked similar to the one in Wheelnut’s post.
Cheers Dave.

On the question of cabs,Briggs who were owned by Ford Motor Co made the Dodge Parrot nose cab and the Ford 4D and Leyland Comet normal control cab also! Their plant was in the west midlands also.Cheers Dennis.

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Not a Lambretta SX200 is it? :stuck_out_tongue:

BSA made the Sunbeam. Triumph made the Tigress. They were badge engineered and cosmetically enhanced. Not sure where :wink:

Have a look at my Tenuous Links thread for more info on the Willenhall Radiator Company and Motor Panels

As a young lad :open_mouth: , I can remember the BMC FE cabs going down nechells lane on transporters from Willenhall radiator.
In later years when they closed down, George Aspray the TM from Brevitt carriers started his parcel business from the old radiator works.
Does anyone remember the little 3 tonner Leyland made with the L.A.D. cab, they must be quite rare now, we had one at B+W motors to fetch Scania spares from Immingham dock.

Trev_H:
As a young lad :open_mouth: , I can remember the BMC FE cabs going down nechells lane on transporters from Willenhall radiator.
In later years when they closed down, George Aspray the TM from Brevitt carriers started his parcel business from the old radiator works.
Does anyone remember the little 3 tonner Leyland made with the L.A.D. cab, they must be quite rare now, we had one at B+W motors to fetch Scania spares from Immingham dock.

Yea remember them well Trev,little “diddy” motors wern’t they,I think I’ve seen shots on the site of an odd one or two where would they have been built in the BL empire? Did Standard have anything to do with them (not the Atlas!) Cheers Dennis.

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:
Cheers Dave.

Not a Lambretta SX200 is it? :stuck_out_tongue:

BSA made the Sunbeam. Triumph made the Tigress. They were badge engineered and cosmetically enhanced. Not sure where :wink:

Have a look at my Tenuous Links thread for more info on the Willenhall Radiator Company and Motor Panels

I am pretty sure it’s not a Lambretta.I had one in 1964.The BSA did look a bit different to that one,have had a look at your thread,also looked on wilkapedia.My memory of moterbikes and scooters of that time is a bit rusty :confused: :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Trev_H:

Strange looking little thing, it was all cab.

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:
I am pretty sure it’s not a Lambretta.I had one in 1964.The BSA did look a bit different to that one,have had a look at your thread,also looked on wilkapedia.My memory of moterbikes and scooters of that time is a bit rusty :confused: :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Sorry Dave The Lambretta comment was for JJ72 benefit. :laughing:

BSA & Sunbeam did make another scooter as did many manufacturers of the 60,s

BSA Dandy Scooter

Triumph Tina Scooter

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:
Cheers Dave.

Sorry Dave The Lambretta comment was for JJ72 benefit. :laughing:

BSA & Sunbeam did make another scooter as did many manufacturers of the 60,s

BSA Dandy Scooter

Triumph Tina Scooter

I can remember some of the scooters Malc,but to be quite honest I couldn’t get rid of mine fast enough.I wanted a moterbike after having one offroad from the age of 15,so I bought a Greeves 325,biggest heap of crap I have owned,but mates of mine had them and they were OK.The Lambretta in hindsight was bulletproof,a good machine.
Cheers Dave.

Trev_H:

They were really a 2 tonner, Standard Triumph use to run them carrying car bodies 4 at a time, with a 30ft trailer.

quote=“Trev_H”]Does anyone remember the little 3 tonner Leyland made with the L.A.D. cab, they must be quite rare now, we had one at B+W motors to fetch Scania spares from Immingham dock.
[/quote]
Is this the one you mean Trev
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CG00208

CG00208.jpg

This one from the Leyland Museum about 30 :frowning: years ago.

Ray

Stanfield:
quote=“Trev_H”]Does anyone remember the little 3 tonner Leyland made with the L.A.D. cab, they must be quite rare now, we had one at B+W motors to fetch Scania spares from Immingham dock.

Is this the one you mean Trev
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CG00208
[/quote]
Kington Economy Laundry had one like that in the early 60’s.
Cheers Dave.

In the mid 70’s there were two identical twin brothers who used to operate one of these 2 tonner dropsiders around the Salford area. They must have weighed around 25+ stone each, so the poor little thing must have struggled even when empty as they would always travel together. :laughing:

Yes chaps thats the one, quite rare when new, I wonder if any have survived?