W.H.WILLIAMS (spennymoor)

Mysterron:

Carl Williams:
This photo has just turned up on Facebook. Bedford at John O’Groats. Chap on right Billy westgarth who would be the porter but can’t identify driver on left. As there was a porter suspect it was a removal also as the Bedford Marsden had black number plates pre ‘F Reg’

Hi Carl, I think the guy with Billy Westgarth is one of his drinking buddies Joe Angus. Unless he was employed by you he was probably having a trip out with Billy.

Hi Mysterrron Joe Angus’ sister has been on Facebook & explained.We had Alan Angus a driver with us & I got confused but apparently they were not related. Also from memory Billy Westgarth was a none driver & worked in the workshops manly servicing trailers & we must have been short staffed & sent him as a porter, & his friend gone for a ride & presumably the driver whoever that was took the photo.As I stated above I just can’t make out the reg number but as it had black number plates on before we started using white on front & yellow on rear the van is a Bedford Marsden pre 1967 but I can’t make out which one as we had 14 or so identical from the rear new 1961-67 and some running up to 1980 with shutter & walk in tailboard as that one has. But by the photo Bill Westgarth looks at least about 20 and so it was at most about 45 years ago.about 1973 plus