W.H.WILLIAMS (spennymoor)

Carl Williams:
A message from Gordon Ball

Gordon Ball
20 hrs ·
Calling on all who can remember a program on television in about 1986 called the Junior Cook of the Year with Thorn EMI,
I was a hgv driver with W,H,Williams in Spennymoor & we transported the set used then set it up in hotels then finished in the Savoy in London we worked with tv personalities one such person was a Terry Waite the Archbishop of Canterburys Special envoy, in conversation in the Savoy in London because I was a northern man he asked if I knew a Malcolm Anderson from Newcastle that he got released from captivity probably Beirut as a short time after he himself was taken hostage by hezbollah in Beirut by Islamic extremists in 1987-1991 Terry was a towering man even tall to me being 6-1" and he was a nice man to talk to.

We did the Junior Cook f the year for about 8 or 9 years It toured UK with the Final at The Savoy London. For us it occupied 2 vans, 2 drivers & 2 porters for about 20 weeks each year. Our vans used to be parked outside under the Savoy canopy… How I wished we had a photo but in those days we never thought. A better photo could have been taken by the same driver Gordon Ball, on one occasion when he was delivering to Buckingham Palace whe he was parked next to ‘The Gold Coach’ which was outside being polished. Its ironic that now he’s a keen amateur photographer.