Looking for old photo's of Forest of Dean firms

Here is another of long-established St. Briavels hauliers , Wm. Parry & Sons .
Robin Harris is the driver of this DAF CF 6 wheeler , ( fondly named DAPH , after his wife ) , engaged solely on livestock haulage.
He has completed 50 YEARS of employment for the Parry family , and today he celebrates his 65 th. birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY , Robin !!!
Cheers , Roy and Dot.

heres one for you paul.taken down merrin end garage (now a bloody housing estate) early sixtys?

here is a question for us forest of dean chaps,i am trying to remember who ran a blue Daf 2800 tractor unit from the edwards bus garage under the name of WTE Transport? (W.T.E being the initials of don and les edwards father william thomas edwards who started the buisness) FREE BOTTLE OF SEDATIVE FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER.BOB.

These Mann-Abell Albions are pictured at the Gore Quarry near where I live.They had three quarries in the Forest.Has anyone got any pics of their lorries or Tilcon who took them over,also Hobbs quarries out of the Forest.
Cheers Dave.

hell dave that brings back memories… we had lots of tippers running round the forest,but cannot recal any pics of them or tilcon,or hoveringham,one of my old school friends dad used to work for manabell/tilcon and ended up with a foden halfcab,HE WAS NOT IMPRESSED!.bob.

Hi Bob,
I drove out of the Gore and Dolyhir quarries when Mann-Abell owned them,used to see a lot of the Forest lorries when I was down Gloucester and the Forest area.Mann-Abell had qithe a few in the Forest,also Hobbs and Hoveringham,used to see them running about in Gloucester and to the last link of the M5 being built from Bristol to Tewesbury.
Cheers Dave.

this is the only one i can find dave.does it count? :slight_smile:
Pope_Whitecliff%20Lime[1].jpg

wideboybob:
this is the only one i can find dave.does it count? :slight_smile:0

Definitely Bob I remember them having Whitecliff and Clearwell quarries,can’t remember the other one.
Cheers Dave.

this cropped up in a previous thread.will find out tomorrow who was the owner. was this the other quarry you was think of dave?
TK203-1.jpgcopyright photo.

Been to Whitecliffe a couple of times when TILCON owned it Dave, towed a Foden there that expired in the tunnel at Monmouth to dump the load (dust from Ballidon to Cardiff) before dragging it back up North, and collected a tanker from there once. Remember it being a drag up from the A449, especially with a 180 Gardner towing an all up weight of 50 tons! :laughing:

Pete.

Merrin End should have been kept as a commercial yard. What colour was James Smith’s? Is that an Albion on the right?

wideboybob:
this cropped up in a previous thread.will find out tomorrow who was the owner. was this the other quarry you was think of dave?0copyright photo.

Don’t think it was Stowfield Bob.I think it was a small quarry which was coming to the end of its reserves of stone.
Will ask one or two of the older ex Gore employees who are left.
Cheers Dave.

windrush:
Been to Whitecliffe a couple of times when TILCON owned it Dave, towed a Foden there that expired in the tunnel at Monmouth to dump the load (dust from Ballidon to Cardiff) before dragging it back up North, and collected a tanker from there once. Remember it being a drag up from the A449, especially with a 180 Gardner towing an all up weight of 50 tons! :laughing:

Pete.

Just shows that its not all about power Pete.If you have the right gearing you still move big weight,admittedly at a slower speed.
Cheers Dave.

My Dad and me did a few loads for Geoff Harris Transport when our work was quite, Nice people and i liked the Flatbed loads always something different , We use to go shoping at Alan Sparrow Truck breakers ,go there and get a lorry part and also have a nose around the scrap lorries for bits ,lights,cab bits etc… Also Rothdean use to run lorries on bulk as well making trailers

hi dave, the quarry you are thinking of was called rogers quarry it was adjoined to stowfield quarry,runin those days by don simms, later by tarmac.if you remember me saying i ran a ex tony lewis d 1618 tipper, that was out of wycliffe quarry. i remember the manabell albions coming brand new. a small detail i remember was that everyone had an enamel albion lapel badge in thecab with the handbook.that would have in 1973. someone asked what colour were james smith lorries, they were red and green , and used to work out of rogers quarry occasionally, probally to the abbey margam,with mag fines. james smith was owned by lionel and john jones father (rothdean) rogers quarry was very much aclosed shop , if your face didnt fit they wouldnt load you!! even though i worked every day for manabell at wycliffe, if it went quiet in the afternoon wycliffe would phone rogers to see if they would give me a load to margam, but they would mostly say no we ant got nothing, even though wycliffe knew they had plenty on!!!

Hi Bazz,
Thats the one Rogers quarry.I found Mann’Abell were OK up this way,but most ofthe blokes were still on that had worked for Old Radnor Trading Co who sold out to Mann-Abell.I think the hauliers up here now would like to go back to those days when you could earn decent money with fair rates etc.
Cheers Dave.

What thus want to do O but is go and X a old boy that worked in Carters in Colefud. Thik bloke used to work as a fitter there and as a yup of pictures mind. He lives on the coalway rd just up from the eski mkt on the left O but.

A few taken at the BRS depot in the mid 60’s

Geoff Harris give me my first ever job after i passed my class 2! rang him, went down to see him! he said theres your lorry! take it home to clean it and put your kit in it! happy days!!! great boss!

Les Warren transport! another great boss no longer running