South Yorkshire Companies

has anyone got any pictures of Trowbridge transport/sheffield? My uncle used to get rides in their trucks in the late sixties. They were similar to Fridge Freight in colours i think.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tipperdave:
any more on smiths anyone?

Sorry, no pics of Smiths, but did you know that Stardes was set up by David Steinberg, formally of Smith Self Drive, initially using Smiths trucks?

there are some good myatts pics on big ALS truckstop

on the weigh bridge London wks Tipton

couple of syd woods old ones what my dad drove.

Two or three i remember Frank Langfields, Colin Vaines, Dougie Armitage, Duncan Sharpe, Colin White, Towmaster, I also remember a company from West Yorkshire Jack Barraclough who loaded pipes out of Naylors at Cawthorne

SHYTOT:
Two or three i remember Frank Langfields, Colin Vaines, Dougie Armitage, Duncan Sharpe, Colin White, Towmaster, I also remember a company from West Yorkshire Jack Barraclough who loaded pipes out of Naylors at Cawthorne

Hiya james how tha doin lad just avin an hour pc Shytot was on my Buffalo 1977 my name is Ray Leadbeater i come from Cuddy market st used to work for Myatts/Masons then JB Myatt. i had that name on a few years chuffed you have now.Revman& Chris Webb have helped very much. All the firms mentioned i knew all of em loade out of naylors, Hepworth,spent years in Redfearns That AEC of Tom Roberts. my mate had that brand new1961 his name Mick Farrimond bloody good grafter that man (RIP) :cry: keep up the good work pal.Regards RAY (one outfit missed of list A Rowe cudworth thats where i got the driving bug while at school 1953 age 13) :laughing:

fodenway:

Chris Webb:
One of Ferns - used to be FEARNS.

A Hanson Atki in Barnsley.Peter Davies photo.

Tom Roberts.

Hi,
Nice to see another Barnsley lad online! a couple missing off the list Bone & Redfern tippers Cudworth & Chambers tippers Royston & Butterfields tippers cudworth funny how things come back rock on lads
Regarding the “Hanson in Barnsley” shot from Peter Davies, it’s not actually in Barnsley at all! I’ve studied the photo in his book, and there are definitely trolleybus wires overhead, so it could either be Bradford, Huddersfield or Rotherham (if it is in Yorkshire) as Barnsley never had trolleys.
It would be nice to see photos and get a few details of more local wagons, so here are a few more operators from t’Tarn :
National Coal Board
D.Caswell (Cawthorne)
Harry Cawthorne (Majestic) (Darton)
Don Riggott (Monk Bretton?)
Stan Wright (Darton)
Len Mills (Barnsley)
E.Land (Barnsley)
Flouch Transport (Penistone)
D. Butterfield (Staincross)
Ron Barraclough (Barnsley)
Keer Bros (Darton)
H. Winderbank (Carlton)
J.Hill (Smithies)
Granville Morris (Penistone)
Preston Roberts (Barnsley)
Tommy Rodwell (Wombwell)

• there’s many more whose names escape me, such as the dark blue Thames Trader tippers that were based at The Wells Garage in Royston in the early 1960’s - was it Jackson?
    keep the memories coming,
    Kevin.

a cud reed this thread all neet

SHYTOT:

One from my collection, Birdwell, 1986, notice the greedy boards

Barry/Gloves

Were them greedy boards on for loading coke out of Manvers & Royston

I have been looking for info about a firm from Staincross Barnsley. It was called Eric or Frank Langfield. They ran a few 4 wheel ERF KV’s on red shail from various pit site, a couple I remember is Haigh and Bullcliffe wood. I think they had a brown livery.

It was Frank Langfield ■■■■■■ brown colour 4 wheeler ERFs they had a six wheeler crane that was based at Bullcliffe Wood pit near Bretton, I think the crane driver was called Harry, as a young lad i called him Harry Crane

Still in the family!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

harrislangfield:
Still in the family!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well done, Its nice to see old stuff being retained by the famileys, Keep the pictures rolling, Its great stuff to look back on, Regards Larry.

Anyone remember Earls Transport in Sheffield , green motors?

ramone:
Anyone remember Earls Transport in Sheffield , green motors?

Ye Robert Earls Sheffield ran a mixed fleet but mostly Leyland including a couple of Marathons,some pics on old lost hauliers facebook page

revman:
0hi james heres one of thorpes sed atki if you look at the yorkshire thread-quite a few barnsley wagons-alan

I did 22 years for Thorpes, the driver of that wagon is Mark Laughton a top lad, he worked for Walker Trowbridge before he came to Thorpes. Happy days but we didn’t know it at the time !!!

One of Fearn’s, “Yorkshire Rose” Foden S80 SWU 888M in the yard at Dodworth when new.

There was a company in Barnsley called The Star Paper Company I think? Did they have their own transport,I think they were blue wagons…

And does anybody remember a firm called Kenworthy from Barnsley,they had a Albion Reiver in SPT Templeborough and it had an alloy body so couldn’t carry coils stood up.I used to see driver regular when I worked for Prestons in Sheffield.