The Scammell Routeman

This Routeman was new to British Paints Newcastle, started life as a flat drawbar, it was one of two drawbars the other one was a Leland Octopus UBB 623.

transporter man:
This Routeman was new to British Paints Newcastle, started life as a flat drawbar, it was one of two drawbars the other one was a Leland Octopus UBB 623.0

IIRC the Scammell 8 wheeler was fairly light and capable of carrying a decent payload as a solo Flat,but I dont think it would have been very good pulling a trailer being only a single drive axle.I know that they stopped using the Scammell axle as Leylands influence increased at Watford and they started putting the Albion double drive into the Routeman and using the heavy Leyland hub reduction axle in the Trunkers.I suppose that by using the Albion axles it did allow the Scammell 8 wheelers production run to be extended as it became a favourite with the Tipper fraternity until it was finally discontinued.Bewick.

heres one of my dads we ran a couple of them

Bewick:

transporter man:
This Routeman was new to British Paints Newcastle, started life as a flat drawbar, it was one of two drawbars the other one was a Leland Octopus UBB 623.0

IIRC the Scammell 8 wheeler was fairly light and capable of carrying a decent payload as a solo Flat,but I dont think it would have been very good pulling a trailer being only a single drive axle.I know that they stopped using the Scammell axle as Leylands influence increased at Watford and they started putting the Albion double drive into the Routeman and using the heavy Leyland hub reduction axle in the Trunkers.I suppose that by using the Albion axles it did allow the Scammell 8 wheelers production run to be extended as it became a favourite with the Tipper fraternity until it was finally discontinued.Bewick.

I agree with you about pulling a trailer and especially when there is no diff lock either.We used the vehicle as a flat until the driver loaded over length steel plates at Consett and bent the chassis before it had reached Durham. We fitted new chassis legs and changed its use to a tipper. It was fitted with a new light weight steel body & gear fitted by Tony Walker Thornaby and used on long distance work.

LB76:

Built by AD Forsey T/A Weston Super Mare Motors body works for Pullrode, They done several & according to my friend Ron Chapman (ADF) one got stolen & tipped over out on the moors, Good photo,

Drove this beast on the Barton bridge/Urmston bypass project around early 86.

Never did learn how to post them on their sides!

Thanks Sandway, the sideways thing seems to come natural!!

In the late 60s I worked at Myatts Transport Cudworth, who ran a Routeman 8 wheeler, if memory serves me right the registration was 872 EWT, it was an early production model that Scammell were using as a demonstrator vehicle, Myatts bought as soon as they saw it, less than a week after it had been demonstrated it was in the garage being painted and having a body fitted, it came with Power Steering, Goodyear Unisteel Radial Tyres, (Both new innovations for the time) twin headlamps, Leyland 0680 “Power Plus” engine, Scammell gate change 6 speed gearbox with an aluminium gate to the left of the drivers seat, a Scammell Double Reduction Drive Axle, and a trailing axle, later models had a Leyland/Albion 6 Speed gearbox and Leyland hub reduction double drive axles and lockable third diff, the same configuration as was fitted to the Albion Riever which soon became standard on all six and eight wheelers from Leyland/Albion. Myatt`s used this vehicle on a reciprical London trunk service with a firm called Greenwoods, which meant it was running someting like 20 hours a day for years, and as far as I can remember it proved to be a very reliable vehicle and gave many years service.

Hall Aggregates Winall workshop, Winchester.

Routeman.

scammell routeman press photo.PNG

vastly exp:
i did my first international trip in one of them scammells for TRI star leeds,it was early february 1978,took an empty lowloader 4 inline rented from TIP to wolvega holland to pick up a machine,it had a rolls royce engine(ithink it was a 220)no power steering,heater did not work, no sleeper but that was normal in them days,what a job that was,the ferry was from ipswich to rotterdam,a brand new ship,they could not close the water tight door in ipwich,when they did get it closed 1&1/2 days later we sailed to rotterdam then it would not open at rotterdam 1/2 day they got it open,i went and loaded the machine came back to rotterdam,guess what TRI star could not afford the sea freight back to ipswich,so after they sorted that out i shipped to hull,what a night on that ferry i had.

When I was on the spanners at Archbolds in Morley , TRI Star bought a couple of Big J’s and we did them up . He then got a Scania 112 , sadly the driver turned it over on the A650 at Ardsley outside Country Baskets , it was loaded with bottles as I remember.

Here`s one… …brand new 1970 my dad drove it from new H.E.MUSGROVE & SONS LTD (STAMFORD LINCS)

jaymus:
Here`s one… …brand new 1970 my dad drove it from new H.E.MUSGROVE & SONS LTD (STAMFORD LINCS)

wasn’t that Called the scammel trunker ?

m.a.n rules:

jaymus:

My apologies…I couldn’t find a trunker post

TAN509M -

TAN584M -

murphy01:

Hi murphy01 great photos of your Scammell Routeman tipper
was that an ex ARC truck from new at one stage
Thank you for posting
Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley:

murphy01:

Hello Murphy01 have you got any more photographs of your Scammell Routeman tipper these take me back to my child hood days and riding in them on my school holidays :smiley: :smiley: regards Daz

jaymus:

m.a.n rules:

jaymus:

My apologies…I couldn’t find a trunker post

no offence meant mate, just wanted you to confirm it was a trunker… nice pic btw… :slight_smile: