Fridged Freight

Hello Conga. Yeah, we had big problems with that boat. The linkspan it used in Cherbourg was owned by Townsend Thoresson and their ferries had priority, so the German boat would try to unload when the tide was wrong and the landing legs on the trailers would foul it. Also the fridge boxes on the thumpers would hit the cab roof. There are pictures on here of WVF 500H with its roof modified to avoid this after damage. The longer trailers were the most liable. We didn’t know the score till I had a meeting with the Harbour-master in Townsends office - they were threatening to ban FF drivers cos Roly Robinson had bent up his landing legs and raised hell with the loadmaster. I think he had to be restrained from decking him, and who can blame him - he was very proud of his motor and kept it well tidy - same as most of you. The outcome was that we avoided putting the longer artics on it. Compared to anything else we used it was a pile of junk and not fit for purpose. It soon disappeared. By the way on one trip a storm delayed it so bad that the fridges ran out of fuel. We were ok cos I nicked petrol out of cars for the Thermo-Kings, but there were three UCC Artics with diesel fridges and the car deck was awash with the stuff from them taking it from their lorries and bleeding the fridge engines. Jim.