Ameys--anyone there?

davidcox:
Hi Ivor

Don’t know who drove the 38 it was I presume whoever was going to drive it at the pit.
The driver of RMO 386 at the time was John Greening wasn’t at Ameys for long. That’s Bob running back to help them around the traffic lights. We had already negotiated them without problems, of course it was down to me being an expert rear steersman :slight_smile:
Me and Bob had been together for some time and had it off pat, I think whoever was on the back had stalled the engine several times.

The beams came from I believe Tallington was the name of the village which was about 3 miles north of Stamford on the A1. Looking on google maps street view, Tarmac are still making beams there! Theres a link at the bottom just copy and paste)
The job was all that more difficult in those days as there weren’t any motorways (well not many) we had to get to Bellevue during the day and they closed the railway at midnight so that we could unload. There were two 100ton cranes which was a big deal in those days. It wasn’t only us two waggons from Ameys there were quite a few of us.
David

google.co.uk/maps/@52.66802 … 6656?hl=en[/quote

The concrete beam manufacturer at Tallington,although now a Tarmac organisation,was called Dowmac in the 60’s and 70’s.

David