Barnfather & Wilkes

always used to see there trucks going in to guymers yard.on our way to school now guymers yard is a new housing estate

I can remember B & Ws having some tippers in the earley 70s, they used to load Whinstone Aggregates for Craigs at Sacriston the flag stone firm, who was taken over I think by Marshalls, They used to come into Tilcons Quarry at Kirkwhelpington which was run by the Late Bobby Kell the master of all the quarry operations, They ran some 6 wheeler Bedfords & some 8 wheeler Scammells, Happy days, Regards Larry. PS, The last time I saw Tommy Barnfarther he was transport manager for Fergy,s at Sherburn in Emlet.90s era.

Tom Barnfather came to Fergusons transport in the mid 90s and as you say Larry he was sent to manage the British Gypsum contract at
Sherburn in Elmet.He travelled daily from his hone in Durham to Sherburn in Elmet every day.This got to much for Tom and he went on to
be a lorry salesman at Teeside for MAN or Foden.
When he first came to Fergusons he still had 1 vehicle,a Renault Magnum he had struggled to sell,The Renault stood in Blyth yard for a few months
before it was sold,He still had his Rolls Royce car which was his pride and joy.Hope Tom is fit and well as he was a nice chap and could always
tell you some good old stories about transport.

Regards

F Troop

didnt aah take over barnfather.remember them doing the princes job out of bradford :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

brothertonmick:
The pub was called the fox hotel, now an indian resturant. Normans closed over 20 years ago, anyway here are two more barnfather photos also taken at normans, regards mick.

cheers , my dad used to drive an f7 , ktn961x , sister to the one in the picture , many many thanks

Used to park at Doncaster regular with Barnfarthers when they were the green & white mostly second hand 86s/88s had some good nights out with them when I was on for Collinsons, We also did the odd load of radiaters out of Birtley when they were busy. Also remember loading cement out of Northfleet but we used to get it off somebody else and it was always a full pallet load for Eastgate, I think barney`s got it direct but always seemed to be 2/3 drops handball loaded on the deck, I always tried not to take the ■■■■ too much.Remeber Eric , little Bobby & one or two others but names are gone for the minute. Worked with plastic Billy at Armstongs & Wrights Tow Law hes on for Durham city now.

I will be with Eric Moody this weekend at Newark Tractor Show, he has a large display of dairy memorobilia amongst other things.

Pete.

windrush:
I will be with Eric Moody this weekend at Newark Tractor Show, he has a large display of dairy memorobilia amongst other things.

Pete.

ask him if he remembers joe bladen [my dad r.i.p] , he just died in july , he was bobby boads mate , i can remember plastic billy , what a character

greek:
Used to park at Doncaster regular with Barnfarthers when they were the green & white mostly second hand 86s/88s had some good nights out with them when I was on for Collinsons, We also did the odd load of radiaters out of Birtley when they were busy. Also remember loading cement out of Northfleet but we used to get it off somebody else and it was always a full pallet load for Eastgate, I think barney`s got it direct but always seemed to be 2/3 drops handball loaded on the deck, I always tried not to take the ■■■■ too much.Remeber Eric , little Bobby & one or two others but names are gone for the minute. Worked with plastic Billy at Armstongs & Wrights Tow Law hes on for Durham city now.

my dad [joe bladen ,r.i.p] was bobby boads best marra , we used to call him uncle bob , he was at our home quite often when i was a kid , i spent most of my days as a kid in /around barnfathers yard , knew a lot of the drivers , and the fitters , plastic billy was quite a character, he drove a wagon n drag for barnfather if i remember correctly . dad sadly passed away suddenly in july

Was Bobby Boads not very tall long bushy sideburns, Also big lad I used to call Wacky jacki cant remember his proper name but he was big & Loud but great crack, seem to remember something quite a few yrs back he died of throat cancer, & remember young lad Brian had an accident at the Haven Range Rover tried to cross central res & had a collision with Brian, fatalities involved but Brian came back on the road after a while. First met Barry cant remember 2nd name in the 70s he went on to Peter Cook then later Elddis Prob new your old man by sight but the name doesnt ring a bell but thats always been the case with me remember faces but bloody hopeless with names

bobby boad was vertically challenged , lol , with big sideboards,[he too passed away recently ] if you met bob, then you will almost have certainly met my old dad , he wasnt much taller than bob , and had a teddy boy hairstyle,
the bloke wacky jacky , sounds like big jacky archer …

i would post a picture of my dad , but i dont have a clue how to
regards Duncan Bladen

duncan bladen:
bobby boad was vertically challenged , lol , with big sideboards,[he too passed away recently ] if you met bob, then you will almost have certainly met my old dad , he wasnt much taller than bob , and had a teddy boy hairstyle,

regards Duncan Bladen

Hello Duncan, nice to see old pictures of the fleet , never seen them for years! , I worked at barnfathers 83-91, remember your dad well, sorry to hear he passed away. driven his old wagon , 961x, many times, my first motor was one of the x reg’s, cant remember the plate!, then got a f10, lbr749t , then progressed to a b reg f7, & eventually ended up with bobby scotts f10, c548ktn.The f7 in the pictures above with the name plate Dennis, was dennis travelyans, think he passed away many years ago, the w reg f10,think that was jackie wakefields.Good memories , cracking firm to work for, dave loftus, the fitter ,now works with me at Durham city . I will try and find some photo’s, & see if i can work out how to upload them.

Hi Duncan think I can remember your old man now you describe him, if you do a search there`s a post somewhere on the forum on how to, with photos its pretty straight forward. Its one of my regrets not taking photos yrs back but we never thought about it them days ,plus we never had these fancy cameras then every thing had to be developed

duncan bladen:

windrush:

Pete.

ask him if he remembers joe bladen [my dad r.i.p] , he just died in july , he was bobby boads mate , i can remember plastic billy , what a character

Hi Duncan, I gave Eric that list of names and he knew them all, including your dad of course. Greek, can you pm me your name as Eric is wondering who you are! :slight_smile:

Pete.

PM sent windrush might have seen you about if you do the vintage shows, I show an old Mk1 transit myself anyway heres a pic of me round about the time I used to see a lot of Barnfathers lads

jackie archer just retired this year was working with me at asda cdc washington .gone to to the sunnier side of the north at his caravan in berwick…

duncan bladen:

regards Duncan Bladen

ANC,Durham:

duncan bladen:

regards Duncan Bladen

Hello Duncan, nice to see old pictures of the fleet , never seen them for years! , I worked at barnfathers 83-91, remember your dad well, sorry to hear he passed away. driven his old wagon , 961x, many times, my first motor was one of the x reg’s, cant remember the plate!, then got a f10, lbr749t , then progressed to a b reg f7, & eventually ended up with bobby scotts f10, c548ktn.The f7 in the pictures above with the name plate Dennis, was dennis travelyans, think he passed away many years ago, the w reg f10,think that was jackie wakefields.Good memories , cracking firm to work for, dave loftus, the fitter ,now works with me at Durham city . I will try and find some photo’s, & see if i can work out how to upload them.

thanks for the kind words , , i think i spent more time as a child , down barnfathers yard than at the local park … but what a great bunch of blokes worked there , there was never a nasty word … the fitters , ian bradley , the two stoker brothers , mr laverick etc , seemed 90% of the popultion of sherburn worked there , i was never fortunate/stupid enough , dad didnt want me to end up a lorry driver , but it was always my dream , now i am one , i can see why he didnt want me to ha ha …

greek:
Hi Duncan think I can remember your old man now you describe him, if you do a search there`s a post somewhere on the forum on how to, with photos its pretty straight forward. Its one of my regrets not taking photos yrs back but we never thought about it them days ,plus we never had these fancy cameras then every thing had to be developed

ive added some pictures , and searched a bit deeper on here , you replied to a message i posted a few years ago , where i put a pic of my old dad on , and you said you recognised him , ive still not got a clue how to up load the pictures tho , haha

The Dennis Trevillion mentioned through this thread is definitely alive & kicking, albeit retired…I know this as he is my dad!! I loved being with dad in the yard & out n about on the road…my favourite cafe was Mickleover (forget the name now) but I know its not there anymore, its a housing estate now!

I mentioned to dad that I had found this post about Barnfathers & he definitely remembers Eric Moody & Joe Bladden.
He managed to get me some photos of the trucks & workers of Barnfathers which I will try upload to this post.

My dad started out with a Volvo F7 & then he was next in line to get a new truck so he jumped over the F10 version & got himself an FL10. Barnfathers had the exhaust stack moved from the rear of the cab to underneath the front bumper at the cost of thousands, all because they didnt want the top of the white curtainsiders. It was later found out that the top of the stack could be turned to face away from the trailer, which meant you didnt need to relocate the stack.

I would of loved to have followed in my dads footsteps & became a truck driver but sadly that wasnt the case…my folks sat me down in the Fleming pub & categorically said no & I had to go to uni…so I did! I still would love to drive & will one day take my class-1 test!