Middle East in the 70's & 80's

Here are some pics of the Middle East and locations unknown from when my Dad used to run to Saudi with Redcliffe Roadways. Not sure of the dates but maybe in the 70’s

My dad Richard John Helmkay otherwise know as either ■■■■ or John, worked for Redcliffe Roadways, if I remember right his first trip to the Middle East was 1975. He is the one in the phote with the Volvo.

Wheel Nut:
Colin Johnson often looks in here.

Joe 90 from Hull?

Grimsby accent, bloody wars have been fought over less :stuck_out_tongue:

The thread has been restarted with a Redcliffe motor but this post is over a year old.

Joe (90) Newsome was from t’other side of river. I remember going to see John Hebb who had the Volvo dealers in Wooton near Ulceby. I was looking to buy another lorry and John and I sat for about 3 hours chatting about lorries and drivers. He told me all about Joe 90. I have since met him, and old John Hebb had a lot of time for him and me as it happens. The son Jack Hebb was a pompous prick though and I never did buy a Volvo from him, so stuck to my DAFs.

Bumped for Guesty44.

Some great pics and storys on here :smiley:

On Knights of Old, I often met up with Dennis, when doing trips to the middle east, him and his brother Donald used to go, but Donald never liked it, so he would take full trailers to europort, drop them and take the trailers back his brother used to bring back from M/E and turn around and go home, Dennis used to turn back from port with new load to M/E. Sorry news Donald shot his wife and dog then himself, it was in our local paper, it was stated that he was suffering from depression, and was the carer for his wife. he was 78 years old, a year older than me. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

my dad used to work for redcliffe roadways back in the 70s he used to drive a Volvo with a fridge and travel to the middle east back then .his name was Jeff Stringfellow .sadly he passed away in 2008 .ive found a pic of me about 6yrs with my dad and the truck in redcliffes yard in nottm .here is the pic .I wish my dad was still here to show him this forum .

Sall5522:
Here are some pics of the Middle East and locations unknown from when my Dad used to run to Saudi with Redcliffe Roadways. Not sure of the dates but maybe in the 70’s

I have just noticed that it looks like the back of a Promotors Scania on this photo…

And there is a Jenkinson D.A.F. in the background on this one.

found this on stilltime,john burden asked me if I could find any redcliffe lorrys,anyone know who this is

hi robert hope this works 1st attempt our kid down in the sand in iran or saudi

stevejones:
0hi robert hope this works 1st attempt our kid down in the sand in iran or saudi

Excellent work, Steve! Now for extra practice, see if you can get it on the LHD Marathon thread! Robert :smiley:

ye will do tks

Are any of the old Redcliffe drivers still using this forum?

Just a couple of pictures of me and my mate Terry , we were doing work for TAF my mate Terry new john very well.

suefrank:
Just a couple of pictures of me and my mate Terry , we were doing work for TAF my mate Terry new john very well.

Great pics, thanks for posting. :wink:

P.I.E. clipping.

daf pie me p me.PNG

Just a couple more no permit had to travel on train.

F89

Hi I just joined the Forum this morning , having found it on Google when looking for old pictures of Redcliffe Roadways.
Once I found this thread it bought back so many fond memories, I used to drive for Malc Watson from Mansfield for two years 1977/78 running for Redcliffe to the middle east.

This is Malc on the right.
Three of us traveling up to the Jordanian border with Saudi, this was before the new road was opened, H4 to Turaif , we had to travel over the desert for god knows how many miles with just oil drums for guidance and a fort half way across.

Sorry the pictures have faded but so have I !!! I have a few more pictures.
Someone mentioned Kit Kats , which Redcliffe driver never carried them at some time, here is a picture of some Philipino coolies unloading my trailer of Kit Kats into an air conditioned cellar in a private house in Kuwait.

I have so many memories of my journeys over there, I delivered to Saudi, Kuwait quite a few times and Doha in Qatar.
Steve