Tower Hill Transport

I think Grounds Transport of Spalding bought out Tower Hill can remember the S type Big Bedfords but not sure about TK’s

BAXTER BOY:
Anyone on here remember them or drove for them. My dad worked for them on and off 1st when he came out of the army/ Royal Engineers and then again later on when he was married and me a nipper. He drove an old S type Bedford second time around. I remember when he went for a job at the Boston depot they took him out in a new TK Bedford artic and when he had passed the test they gave him the old s type overloaded with bricks and hardly any brakes. They were the days good old days but I cant see it myself give me a volvo anyday. :grimacing: If anyone remembers them and as maybe got a few pics I would love to see them. :slight_smile:

I remember Tower Hill Transport who had a Grimsby office at 20 Hainton ave and they used the spare land alongside Ford and Slater Ltd in Macaulay st as their trailer park. The fleet based at Grimsby consisted of about a dozen ex WD Bedford tractor units with Scammel couplings and a couple of dozen trailers. The units were all fitted with Perkins P6 engines and every vehicle had loads of spare injector pipes because it was a daily occurence. The whole fleet was in a terribly run down condition with no servicing schedules whatsoever except one grease gun between them. They did not need to change engine oils because they leaked so much that when the drivers topped them up daily it did it for them. The tyres resembled slicks so if you think Formula 1 invented them they didnt Tower Hill did. Their main work was Courtaulds bales to all the many Lancashire mills and export goods to mainly Manchester and Liverpool docks plus many loads ex Grimsby docks. They were Courtaulds main contractors apart from Denby tspt.
The transport manager was Mr Frank West and his young deputy was Alan Borrill. The shunter was Jimmy Renton and Len Bradley and Paddy Oates were the only drivers i can remember because the driver turnover was tremendous, many starting and finishing the same week. I dont suppose i can blame them because i wouldn’t fancy going over Woodhead fully freighted with vacuum brakes that most likely didnt work. The good old days eh! Thank God they have changed.

Grounds Transport Servies Spalding bought out Tower Hill in the mid 60’s

sammyopisite:

Chris Webb:
You are all a set of barstewards :laughing: .
Tha’d all better ask our lass ,she’ll tell yer I’m straight as a die.Anyroad it’s not allowed in t’IOM so don’t any of yer bother coming over if you are bit that way inclined. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH sorry for going off topic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hello all,

Just found this old picture of my old truck in the Tower Hill days from 1956. Thought it may of interest.

Spuds have been eaten, truck has broken down but I’m still about.

Anybody else still about that remembers me?

Derek Dunmore

A couple of old pals of mine worked for Tower Hill in the late 60’s, ( both geordies), Wally Grieves and Geordie Collis. Wally is long gone now, but Geordie is still around, he’s about 75 now, he’s still working, he drives a scaffold motor!! Can you imagine throwing 21ft tubes about at that age?? He always was a great grafter!!! Wally was a chain smoker, I never saw him without a Capstan full strength in his mouth. They both had some tales to tell about Tower Hill Tranport!!! I think they both drove Dodges, but I could be mistaken. Regards Kev.

Derekdunmore:
Hello all,

Just found this old picture of my old truck in the Tower Hill days from 1956. Thought it may of interest.

Spuds have been eaten, truck has broken down but I’m still about.

Anybody else still about that remembers me?

Derek Dunmore

When men were men Derek ! I got your message and sent you a reply !

Anyone on here remember them or drove for them. My dad worked for them on and off 1st when he came out of the army/ Royal Engineers and then again later on when he was married and me a nipper. He drove an old S type Bedford second time around. I remember when he went for a job at the Boston depot they took him out in a new TK Bedford artic and when he had passed the test they gave him the old s type overloaded with bricks and hardly any brakes. They were the days good old days but I cant see it myself give me a volvo anyday. :grimacing: If anyone remembers them and as maybe got a few pics I would love to see them. :slight_smile:

BAXTER BOY:

There are some shots of “Tower Hill” in the odd transport books of Peter Davies I think.From memory there is a shot of an Octopus.I believe they chose the name for the firm because thats where all the motors gathered looking for return loads out of London.There was or maybe still is a row of Telephone boxes on Tower Hill which used to be in constant use by drivers during the day.Bewick.

I think Tower Hill Transport were also known as Boston Stevedores and I remember them well.I had plenty of lifts with them when I was in the RAF and thumbing it home from Norfolk to Sheffield in 1960-62.The first time I got in a TK was a Tower Hill artic with a load of potatoes for Sheffield and Manchester markets.They had a big fleet at one time,probably one of the biggest in Lincs,but things went downhill with the Ministry/log sheet/maintenance thingy,which I think has been recorded on this forum somewhere.
I notice you are called Baxterboy,well H.Baxter was another Boston haulier and I think they were in the same dark green livery as Tower Hill Transport.I’ve seen a photo somewhere of Baxters with a load of telegraph poles on board out of Calders and Grandidge at Boston - I’ll have a look round… :unamused:

Chris Webb:
I think Tower Hill Transport were also known as Boston Stevedores and I remember them well.I had plenty of lifts with them when I was in the RAF and thumbing it home from Norfolk to Sheffield in 1960-62.The first time I got in a TK was a Tower Hill artic with a load of potatoes for Sheffield and Manchester markets.They had a big fleet at one time,probably one of the biggest in Lincs,but things went downhill with the Ministry/log sheet/maintenance thingy,which I think has been recorded on this forum somewhere.
I notice you are called Baxterboy,well H.Baxter was another Boston haulier and I think they were in the same dark green livery as Tower Hill Transport.I’ve seen a photo somewhere of Baxters with a load of telegraph poles on board out of Calders and Grandidge at Boston - I’ll have a look round… :unamused:

Hiya Chris,I think you must definitely qualify for some sort of award as it seems you’ve been “on the thumb” for the greater part of your life!!! Then you move to a small island that is only a c*** stride from one end 'tut 'tother—how are you coping you must be suffering withdrawl symptoms or summat!!! CDM medal I think would be appropiate!!! Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Hiya Chris,I think you must definitely qualify for some sort of award as it seems you’ve been “on the thumb” for the greater part of your life!!! Then you move to a small island that is only a c*** stride from one end 'tut 'tother—how are you coping you must be suffering withdrawl symptoms or summat!!! CDM medal I think would be appropiate!!! Dennis.

Afternoon Dennis.Yes with Sheffield being in the middle of the universe it was easy to get to,either on the thumb or on the log sheet/book.I don’t have withdrawl symptons any more,them days are long gone.Like I said before,who would give you a lift nowadays,they’d run ovver yer instead of pulling up.Anyroad I’d feel daft waving a tacho card or a digi card,not my style.
How are you coping in Morecambe,we’ve had snow on t’beach in Douglas and uggins of it on t’hills and I don’t give a toss 'cos like you and others on here we’ve done our bit in the bloody stuff - when it were proper snow tha knows,when t’milkman delivered milk down t’chimney and Snake and Woodhead were thirty feet higher 'cos of packed snow.Aye them were t’days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Cafe talk 'appen? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hiya Chris,we’ve got a covering here but it’s nowt! I remember the last one of my motors I ever dug out was a 6X2 FL10 on’t top ‘o Bowes when the fitter and me got there it was stood like a Foxes Glazier mint in the middle of a block of snow! The Blower had been down each side of it,it cracked up OK but we had to dig the (zb) out of its tomb! that were a right bleedin’ job I can tell thee!!! But t’cab were nice and warm after a while! Cheers Dennis.PS just been on’t news Chris that the Snake is closed so you don’t want to be on’t wrang side o’t hill to-day!!!

Bewick:
Hiya Chris,we’ve got a covering here but it’s nowt! I remember the last one of my motors I ever dug out was a 6X2 FL10 on’t top ‘o Bowes when the fitter and me got there it was stood like a Foxes Glazier mint in the middle of a block of snow! The Blower had been down each side of it,it cracked up OK but we had to dig the (zb) out of its tomb! that were a right bleedin’ job I can tell thee!!! But t’cab were nice and warm after a while! Cheers Dennis.

I remember summat similar Dennis,winter 1971.One of Evans drivers got stuck one night at Saltersbrook on Woodhead trying to get home.The police took him and two other drivers to Sheffield in a Landrover.Me and a fitter went two or three days later to recover it,an AEC MK5 8-legger.We had a job to find it as there were two others there as well with t’snow banked up right over tops.She fired up straightaway but it were hard work digging her out. :smiley:
As an afterthought,the police used to put a “road closed” sign up at Tintwhistle when Woodhead was snowbound but the local bloody kids used to hide it.Of course it could be raining down there so unsuspecting drivers would carry on,ar** twitching time coming a few miles further up when it turned to snow and got deeper and deeper. :laughing: It was years later when they put a matrix sign up on Mottram Hill with Snake and Woodhead warnings,I don’t think t’kids moved that though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Afternoon Dennis and Chris.I,m sitting here reading your postings and thinking.“What the hell are those two on about?”
Being a refined southern gentleman as I am,it loses somethink int translation tha knows! Any this has FA to do with Tower Hill Transport.
I know that they had a depot in Portsmouth. Also Liverpool I think.Stay warm lads.Its snowing like a good un here.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Afternoon Dennis and Chris.I,m sitting here reading your postings and thinking.“What the hell are those two on about?”
Being a refined southern gentleman as I am,it loses somethink int translation tha knows! Any this has FA to do with Tower Hill Transport.
I know that they had a depot in Portsmouth. Also Liverpool I think.Stay warm lads.Its snowing like a good un here.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

We’er like cuckoo’s Charlie any nest will do to have a crack,or lay an egg in with laughing if the crack is daft like!!!Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

charlie one:

We’er like cuckoo’s Charlie any nest will do to have a crack,or lay an egg in with laughing if the crack is daft like!!!Cheers Dennis.

You are so right Dennis.I like trawling through all the topics and every now and then putting in a little bit of rubbish.Some like it and others
get quite ratty.Wonder why? I am only a harmless old pensioner.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

Eyup Charlie lad.IIRC some Mainland Market Deliveries gaffers were ex Tower Hill Transport,sure I’ve read it somewhere.We do tend to drift off t’subject tha knows like 'appen aye.
Keep waaaaaarm Charles and tek some photos of that theer 'Ampshire snow,tha’ll not get much down theer will tha? :laughing: Eyup,it could be a proper “Isle of White” the pc brigade could change the name from Wight eh?

Christopher.

Chris Webb:

charlie one:

Eyup Charlie lad.IIRC some Mainland Market Deliveries gaffers were ex Tower Hill Transport,sure I’ve read it somewhere.We do tend to drift off t’subject tha knows like 'appen aye.
Keep waaaaaarm Charles and tek some photos of that theer 'Ampshire snow,tha’ll not get much down theer will tha? :laughing: Eyup,it could be a proper “Isle of White” the pc brigade could change the name from Wight eh?

Christopher.

Is it Sunday or am I losing it! Christopher?

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

charlie one:

Christopher.

Sorry for the delay in replying,but I had mislaid my copy of the South yorkshire/North Lancs/■■■■■■■ Phrase book.
Went outside with the dogs to try to get some photos but no luck.Too deep!.
Dennis.Its Christopher on Tuesday but Christine on Sat and Sunday.Regards Charlie

charlie one:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

charlie one:

Christopher.

Sorry for the delay in replying,but I had mislaid my copy of the South yorkshire/North Lancs/■■■■■■■ Phrase book.
Went outside with the dogs to try to get some photos but no luck.Too deep!.
Dennis.Its Christopher on Tuesday but Christine on Sat and Sunday.Regards Charlie

Charlie how did you find out :exclamation: that is why he emigrated to the Isle of Man :laughing: :laughing: I was sworn to secrecy so it did not come from me :unamused:
cheers Johnnie :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: