W & J Riding Ltd Longridge Preston

Found this on ebay so I thought I would put it on here and bring this thread back to page 1
Sed Atkis belonging to Ridings.jpg

hiya,
Worked for Riding’s way back in the Atki Borderer and LAD cabbed Leyland era, great firm to work for only problem for me was I lived a distance from the yard and it was a lengthy and expensive journey getting to and from work, just wondering why this thread hasn’t taken off, after all it was a very large and immaculate fleet with a lot of long serving staff who must have pics and anecdotes that could be posted, so come on lads “wakey wakey” get your fingers out and lets see some more of “Toms firm” I did expect such a fine outfit would be up to at least a dozen pages by now, some of the drivers were “lifers” but the short time I was there I found the drivers and gaffers were a great bunch of lads and if I had lived nearer or been allowed to take the motor home “LAD cabbed” Leyland I would certainly have stayed there much longer than I did, by the way Jim Riding was very much in evidence when I was there “push bike an all”.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Worked for Riding’s way back in the Atki Borderer and LAD cabbed Leyland era, great firm to work for only problem for me was I lived a distance from the yard and it was a lengthy and expensive journey getting to and from work, just wondering why this thread hasn’t taken off, after all it was a very large and immaculate fleet with a lot of long serving staff who must have pics and anecdotes that could be posted, so come on lads “wakey wakey” get your fingers out and lets see some more of “Toms firm” I did expect such a fine outfit would be up to at least a dozen pages by now, some of the drivers were “lifers” but the short time I was there I found the drivers and gaffers were a great bunch of lads and if I had lived nearer or been allowed to take the motor home “LAD cabbed” Leyland I would certainly have stayed there much longer than I did, by the way Jim Riding was very much in evidence when I was there “push bike an all”.
thanks harry long retired.

Hi Harry,
Tom Riding and myself are in the process of building a dedicated web site to W & J Riding.
Its early days yet but more images and detail will be added over the coming months, please ignore the advert at the top of each page on the site it will soon be removed as we upgrade the site over the coming weeks.
You can view the brand new site here wjriding.co.uk/
There is also a guestbook page were you can leave any comments you may have.
Regards Paul :smiley:

I would love to see a site dedicated to W&J Riding. Working for them in the 90’s was great.

I used to drive F680 BRN when contracted to Verbrugge from Felixstowe, cracking job.

Mick Glass.

Tom and i have been busy adding plenty of info and pictures this last week. :smiley:
wjriding.co.uk/
Regards Paul

Paul,

I used to drive for Tom out of Thornaby depot. The photograph of F540 THG brings back some memories. That was a great contract to be on, apart from the bad weather over the A66.

I’m looking forward to the website developing.

Keep up the good work,

Mick Glass.

Stillight:
Paul,

I used to drive for Tom out of Thornaby depot. The photograph of F540 THG brings back some memories. That was a great contract to be on, apart from the bad weather over the A66.

Keep up the good work,

Mick Glass.

Spoke to Tom earlier today and mentioned your comment on here.
He has now got the hang of adding comments to the guestbook on the site so you can now contact him through there should you so wish. :smiley:

The site now contains over 1000 images with plenty more still to come wjriding.co.uk/

Just spent 2 hours looking at that Ridings site ,very well done.

Dieseldogsix:
Just spent 2 hours looking at that Ridings site ,very well done.

Pleased you like the site :smiley:
It now contains over 1000 detailed images with around 300 yet to go on over the coming months
29-01-21121-002.jpg
This particular picture was one of a series that were taken as part of an aborted David Brown gear box advertising campaign in the summer of 1978.
Regards Paul

Stillight:
I would love to see a site dedicated to W&J Riding. Working for them in the 90’s was great.

I used to drive F680 BRN when contracted to Verbrugge from Felixstowe, cracking job.

Mick Glass.

Hi Mick
I was wondering if you recognised these two guys.

Seddon Atkinson 4-11 4x2 tractor unit Reg No F630 SFV Fleet No 51 ‘Great Gable’, with driver David Ireland, along with Seddon Atkinson 4-11 4x2 tractor unit Reg No F780 SFR Fleet No 76 ‘Helvelyn’ driven by the late Vic Mason.
Regards Paul

moomooland:

This particular picture was one of a series that were taken as part of an aborted David Brown gear box advertising campaign in the summer of 1978.

Regards Paul[/b]

Climbing up onto Jeffrey Hill from the Chipping side, I think, with the café/shop behind and to the right of the photographer? One of my old cycling haunts in the mid 70s :wink:

The site now contains over 1000 images.
The latest batch of images along with detailed information to be added is W & J Riding’s Ready Mix Concrete (Scotland) contract wjriding.co.uk/

The W. & J.Riding gallery has got to be THE finest site,bar none,on these transport web sites it is an absolute credit to Tom Riding(and his mate!)!The info attached to each photo is first class,Tom must have the memory of an Elephant unless,of course,he has kept copious and very comprehensive notes over the years.But I would tend to think it is more like the product of Tom’s undoubted crystal clear memory !!Well done, I only wish there were more sites like W&JR,which I believe there could well be although maybe not nearly as informative as this one but would make for interesting reading/viewing all the same.Cheers Bewick.

wheeltapper:

WELL DONE BOYS A VERY GOOD SITE KEEP IT COMING ITS A CREDIT TO RIDINGS

Still plenty more to add to the site over the coming months. :smiley:

Stillight:
Paul,

Keep up the good work,

Mick Glass.

Hi Mick,

Glad you like the site still plenty more to come over the coming months.

wjriding.co.uk/

I was a driver for T Brady & Sons when Preston docks went on strike think it was late 60s the Irish ro ro boats Doric ionic came into Barrow-in- Furness the dockers could not drive the tug masters so ask Bradys for two drivers I was on all sorts of trucks and trailers But what i,am about to say is one of RIDING Tankers (ATKY UNIT) spotless the checker went to chalk the load number on the unit when the driver ask him to write it on the tyre as he took a pride in his motor still remember this all ways will I have read all about this firm and have all ways been of the opinion it has been one of the BEST!!! FRANK SLEDDON (retired HGV driver)

Leyland 680:
I was a driver for T Brady & Sons when Preston docks went on strike think it was late 60s the Irish ro ro boats Doric ionic came into Barrow-in- Furness the dockers could not drive the tug masters so ask Bradys for two drivers I was on all sorts of trucks and trailers But what i,am about to say is one of RIDING Tankers (ATKY UNIT) spotless the checker went to chalk the load number on the unit when the driver ask him to write it on the tyre as he took a pride in his motor still remember this all ways will I have read all about this firm and have all ways been of the opinion it has been one of the BEST!!! FRANK SLEDDON (retired HGV driver)

hiya,
Remember well the Preston dock strike I was on for Jos Walsh of Darwen at the time,
Silloth dock was utilised for Irish shipments as well, I delivered several tracklayers to
there at the time all deck cargo made a change because if we ever had call to go into
Preston docks it was always get a load of pulp or china clay for the Darwen paper mill
the pulp was Ok but the white stuff was what I always seemed to get lumbered with it
got everywhere and you sure needed a pint or two to get it out of your mouth afterwards,
well that was my excuse anyway.PS had just left Ridings to work for Walshy at that time.
thanks harry, long retired.

High Harry We also did pulp into Lancashire more so when Preston Docks went on strike remember eddisons with there little TK Bedford attics .I would think most of those paper mills have now closed down like Cooke & Nuttall along side M61 housing est now good old days ■■?