Fire Engines...

Some from the former Brigade in South Wales, South Glamorgan Fire & Rescue Service. Brand New 1987 Dodge G13 Saxon taken at the former H.Q at Cardiff Central Fire Station.

Taken at the handing over, at Llantwit Major stn08.

The new Hose layer delivered the same year, bodywork made in house at Fire Service workshop’s. Dodge S66 4x4.

Taken after body repair due to damage from gas cylinder exploding at hitting windscreen & beacons.

Many of the regulars on here will recall that Geoffrey Carryfast had an important role in the design of American Fire Trucks.

He has never really mentioned which department he worked in, but I wondered if any of you can guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Many of the regulars on here will recall that Geoffrey Carryfast had an important role in the design of American Fire Trucks.

He has never really mentioned which department he worked in, but I wondered if any of you can guess :stuck_out_tongue:

You couldn’t make it up as good as this !!! Mods Mods,wheres the Mods !!! :laughing: :angry: :laughing: :blush: :frowning: :wink:

Bewick:

Wheel Nut:

You couldn’t make it up as good as this !!! Mods Mods,wheres the Mods !!! :laughing: :angry: :laughing: :blush: :frowning: :wink:

He’s got it all wrong again it was actually just a non design role in the making of British fire trucks that used American engines and gearboxes and British axles bolted to a British chassis by British workers designed by someone who was paid to be a lot cleverer than me when I was around 12 years old. :wink: :laughing:

I’d love that on the works Transit! :laughing:

Carryfast:

Bewick:

Wheel Nut:

He’s got it all wrong again it was actually just a non design role in the making of British fire trucks that used American engines and gearboxes and British axles bolted to a British chassis by British workers designed by someone who was paid to be a lot cleverer than me when I was around 12 years old. :wink: :laughing:

Really

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

davev8500:
hi all,feel i need to reply to rikki,im on my 8th v8 scania ,now running a 620 on containers,have always been told never never let a v8 lug 1200,1300 revs half a split and wind it back up to 1500rpm.

:open_mouth:

44 t Gross :question: .It’s putting out around 450 hp at 1,100 rpm and over 500 hp at 1,200 rpm.Why would you ever need to run it up to 1,500 rpm at uk weights. :confused: If it’s doing nearly 8.0 mpg now what would it do if you short shift it in each gear going up the box at 1,200 rpm. :open_mouth: :bulb: :smiley:

Oh Carryfast you do excel yourself. So you, a man who doesn’t seen to have driven a truck in years, who didn’t seen to have that much variety when you did and has probably never even sat in a V8 Scania let alone drove one telling a man who’s owned 8 how to drive them. Good work

I suppose you’d be right if going from a 7.5 tonner Ford D series up to 635 bhp 18 Litre V 16 powered 38 tonner fire trucks between the age of 18 and 21 isn’t variety. :smiley: :laughing:

But I wouldn’t be surprised if he at least tried the idea and found out that I’m right and it’s saving him a few quid in diesel. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

Bewick:

Wheel Nut:

Really

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

davev8500:
hi all,feel i need to reply to rikki,im on my 8th v8 scania ,now running a 620 on containers,have always been told never never let a v8 lug 1200,1300 revs half a split and wind it back up to 1500rpm.

:open_mouth:

44 t Gross :question: .It’s putting out around 450 hp at 1,100 rpm and over 500 hp at 1,200 rpm.Why would you ever need to run it up to 1,500 rpm at uk weights. :confused: If it’s doing nearly 8.0 mpg now what would it do if you short shift it in each gear going up the box at 1,200 rpm. :open_mouth: :bulb: :smiley:

Oh Carryfast you do excel yourself. So you, a man who doesn’t seen to have driven a truck in years, who didn’t seen to have that much variety when you did and has probably never even sat in a V8 Scania let alone drove one telling a man who’s owned 8 how to drive them. Good work

I suppose you’d be right if going from a 7.5 tonner Ford D series up to 635 bhp 18 Litre V 16 powered 38 tonner fire trucks between the age of 18 and 21 isn’t variety. :smiley: :laughing:

But I wouldn’t be surprised if he at least tried the idea and found out that I’m right and it’s saving him a few quid in diesel. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Don’t see anything there which says that I had a role in designing anything so what do I know when there’s others who obviously know better some of who say that running the thing up to peak power let alone 1,500 in each gear would save fuel :open_mouth: :laughing: .When actually that’s exactly more or less the right way to drive a 600 hp + loaded fire engine if you’re in a hurry but it won’t save any fuel :smiling_imp: :laughing: .But of course that would need someone who’s actually driven one to know that. :wink:

Hi Just seen this thread. Have some pics may like if I can upload. I will give it a try!!
Gordon Wil

Couple of others in line with the thread… The Lydd pathfinder Ex Manchester I believe and on loan to Luton for a few weeks. back in the 90s. Hope they are of interest. I have some Cambs and Peterborough if they are of use but not Huntingdon.

Only one yellow fire engine and that’s a Morris van! Eeeeee when I were a lad in 1970s Coventry we had yellow Dennis’s barrelling along. The only photo I can find is a model

Corgi_Dennis_F12_O6b7.jpg

Was is like this one Gardner?

Yes mate we had that type - later model - i remember the ones like the model ripping along though … Something about yellow engines being involved in less RTAs … Easier to see or something

The narrow streets on The Isle of Capri mean that the fire-engines here are rather small.

Yes mate we had that type - later model - i remember the ones like the model ripping along though … Something about yellow engines being involved in less RTAs … Easier to see or something

Must be something in that, I was returning an appliance to station one day and a kid pulled out of the junction to my right in his scrap car carrying Transit and straight into me broadside, his first words were “I didn’t see you”. I was speechless!

Hi All - on the subject of yellow appliances, i thought this might be of interest. It was taken some 10 years ago on a xmas visit to the area - i was in the uk fire service at the time, so made contact with this station to have a look around.Crackin place Niagara-on -the-lake
Cheers

Adie

canada holidays 2002 022.jpg

Glenn R:
Interesting article about the Lothian & Borders CARP’s as GB Fire was one of the companies that our regional group chose not to share business with…

these never worked as aerials either and have all now disappeared at millions to the tax payer , the scottish ones all five of them have either been sold for peanuts or th ebooms removed to make them the most expensive driver training vehicles in the world , at this moment more than half of strathclydes are off the run and in workshops for repair and to bbe honest i despair at the tens of millions lost that could have been spent on dedicated aerial appliances designed to do a job and proven to do so ,it is sad

rathmell999:
these never worked as aerials either and have all now disappeared at millions to the tax payer , the scottish ones all five of them have either been sold for peanuts or th ebooms removed to make them the most expensive driver training vehicles in the world , at this moment more than half of strathclydes are off the run and in workshops for repair and to bbe honest i despair at the tens of millions lost that could have been spent on dedicated aerial appliances designed to do a job and proven to do so ,it is sad

The UK’s aerial tower fire fighting capability has been shown to be a joke by the Grenfell incident in which 100 m and enough of them should be a minimum requirement.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40357535

youtube.com/watch?v=R9RPi3lEaSo