Lovell's Wharf

used to load at lovells when working for curly cargill from penrith,allways remerber taking a load of steel from scotland to kent for wishart of kirkaldy ,got to kent and swapped trailers finishing up with a 60foot trombone trailer, curly then sent us in to lovells to load 50 foot steel beams for brown and tawse dundee, never being as glad to get out of lovells and through that tunnel, funny know work for a firm in n/ireland doing abnormal loads, present moment doing wind turbines in scotland with the blades at 44m long.

Hiya cockey pete…! how about Taylors of Aldridge,( west mids ) Blue and yellow liverey…If you go to my posts…Do’es anyone remember taylors of aldridge, there are pics on there…We used to run out of there all the time…Mainly volvo’s and a couple of scania’s…There also was a company called Fosters of Cannock…white with a red and yellow line around the cab halfway up…no pics sorry…Round oak of brieley hill, green lorries…if i remember anymore i’ll get back to you…yeah I remember very well roping and sheeting in the street out side the yard…and the pub on the corner just up the road…where we would go for a drink if we were night outed there…anyway all the best with model…and chat soon…wagsie…

High Cockney Pete 3,
Only picture I have of Lovell’s Wharf, hope of some use!
Regards Chris

Cockney Pete3:
btw, is that a Costins wagon?

WILLENHALL:
sorry pressed save twice :frowning:

yes it looks like one,they part of the shelton and clayton group now in great bridge

shortstuff:
used to load at lovells when working for curly cargill from penrith,allways remerber taking a load of steel from scotland to kent for wishart of kirkaldy ,got to kent and swapped trailers finishing up with a 60foot trombone trailer, curly then sent us in to lovells to load 50 foot steel beams for brown and tawse dundee, never being as glad to get out of lovells and through that tunnel, funny know work for a firm in n/ireland doing abnormal loads, present moment doing wind turbinyes in scotland with the blades at 44m long.

Yes I remember Cargills well shortstuff, had some really tidy ERFs I’ve got a cracking pic of a day cabbed B seies off the trucks galore site.

wagsie:
Hiya cockey pete…! how about Taylors of Aldridge,( west mids ) Blue and yellow liverey…If you go to my posts…Do’es anyone remember taylors of aldridge, there are pics on there…We used to run out of there all the time…Mainly volvo’s and a couple of scania’s…There also was a company called Fosters of Cannock…white with a red and yellow line around the cab halfway up…no pics sorry…Round oak of brieley hill, green lorries…if i remember anymore i’ll get back to you…yeah I remember very well roping and sheeting in the street out side the yard…and the pub on the corner just up the road…where we would go for a drink if we were night outed there…anyway all the best with model…and chat soon…wagsie…

Hello wagsie and thanks for the info, Taylors didn’t sound familiar but that F89 tag was instantly recognisable, I don’t rember the others except Round Oak, I’ve got a pic of there Renault R340 somewhere. The little steet is Cadet Place and I could usually be found there watching and helping some of the drivers with there sheeting, the pub is the Pelton Arms, the original land owner was from the north east, a coal man through and through. Most of the streets around the wharf are named after collieries and the wharfs first function was a coal wharf.

adr:
High Cockney Pete 3,
Only picture I have of Lovell’s Wharf, hope of some use!
Rega Chris

Great pic Chris thankyou, looks like the early 80s judging by the Volvo, and the shed in the background was demolished in 86 to make some space to set down long iron, girders, ree bar etc. The offices where built in the 20s, first floor was the transport office, drivers would report there for there loads, upstairs was the shipping rooms, Shaw Lovell where frieght forwarders, shipping agents, charterers amongst other things and at one time had an office in nearly every port in England. The tilt was probably loading out of the rear of the yard where the Seawheel part of the firm operated until that was sold off.

A couple from my collection coutesy of Mr blackberry.

Hi Pete. I used to load out of Lovell’s Wharf in the 80’s when I worked for Gauden Shepherds Transport. We used to load heavy coil back to the Midlands.

Graham.

wagsie:
.There also was a company called Fosters of Cannock…white with a red and yellow line around the cab halfwa…wagsie…

Fosters of Cannock is now called Cannock Haulage and Storage , still white with the red and yellow stripes

Wharf office in around 1990

Big Ernie loading one of A & H Davey’s E10’s

Wison Transport G616 FJW loaded and leaving the wharf

A & H Davey’s D388 DBF parked on Cadet Place

Round Oak Motor Services Renault R340 tag waiting to load at SEACON Express Wharf,

IMG-20111030-00014.jpg

bloxotrix:
Hi Pete. I used to load out of Lovell’s Wharf in the 80’s when I worked for Gauden Shepherds Transport. We used to load heavy coil back to the Midlands.

Graham.

Thanks for your help Graham, I’ve found pics of a Borderer and a Sed Ak 401 online

Cockney Pete3:
Round Oak Motor Services Renault R340 tag waiting to load at SEACON Express Wharf,

That’s Westferry Road in Cubitt Town if my mince’s don’t lie :wink:

newmercman:

Cockney Pete3:

Spot on mate, its the small tuning opposite the entrance to the London Steel Terminal, had to be careful taking pix there though, Seacons where always a bit funny with people pointing cameras in there general direcrtion

Cockney Pete3:

bloxotrix:

Graham.

Thanks for your help Graham, I’ve found pics of a Borderer and a Sed Ak 401 online

Was it this one by any chance. My old girl DFK 200Y

Cockney Pete3:

newmercman:

Cockney Pete3:

Spot on mate, its the small tuning opposite the entrance to the London Steel Terminal, had to be careful taking pix there though, Seacons where always a bit funny with people pointing cameras in there general direcrtion

Was that Pinn & Wheelers on Westferry Rd? I used to load coil on a flat out of there in the 70s.
If I remember correctly we loaded three coil and chained them together thru the hole then one
chain thru the front and back coils pulling in opposite directions. It was still a scary load to carry
and braking was done as if you were carrying eggs under the front coil. When I think of the gear
we carried then to be able to load any product to get us home Its a wonder we didn’t get "done
for overloading. regards kevmac47